Go to Post I want to use some of that mass-less rod in our robot - saves weight. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: English or Metric?
US team, English measure 55 69.62%
US team, Metric measure 12 15.19%
non-US team, English measure 7 8.86%
non-US team, Metric measure 5 6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
AKA: the angry designer on 461
#0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Student

suneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud ofsuneel112 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to suneel112
Re: English or Metric?

Most of the time, 461 uses English measurements in buying parts and all that good stuff. In 2004, though, with weight problems, we switched from 1" extrusion to 20mm extrusion with metric bolts and T-nuts. As far as design of the robot goes, most people use the english system (foot-pounds, etc...), but I use metric, for the simple reason that the metric system has the Watt .
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
FRC #1640
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Globalizations is starting to take care of the English problem. Two years ago I didn't need metric tools for my job. Today I have to have them.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Team Captain
AKA: andrew
FRC #1611 (Mustangs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
team1611 is an unknown quantity at this point

whatever fits...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ECDU - East Coast Drivers Union
Team 1611's website
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:44 AM
AKA: Tim Craig
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
TimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denman
you mean it would cost too much to change to metric?
Yes. Entire industries would have had to retool their plants to switch over to metric so there was always a lot of intertia to prevent it from happening. It's been happening gradually but more from the pressure of markets becoming global. But what we're seeing in some cases is that the English products dimensions are just being converted to convenient metric instead of being "pure". And now we just close our factories and buy the parts from Asia which already has metric in place.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle45
45 uses metric bolts, but measure with english. Ya, I know it sounds wierd, but atleast now I know what M3 and M5 means!

They're BMWs, of course.

We use the English system, though sometimes it seems a wonder I can get some people to measure anything at all. I tried to standardize the use of #10-32 hardware, but it didn't work too well.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCraig
Yes. Entire industries would have had to retool their plants to switch over to metric so there was always a lot of intertia to prevent it from happening. It's been happening gradually but more from the pressure of markets becoming global. But what we're seeing in some cases is that the English products dimensions are just being converted to convenient metric instead of being "pure". And now we just close our factories and buy the parts from Asia which already has metric in place.
I know what you mean. Working in a timber yard where everyhting is in metric inches (say 2" by 4" timber is actually just 50x100 mm)

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 08:21 AM
FRC #1520
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 1990
unapiedra will become famous soon enoughunapiedra will become famous soon enough

All of you talking about how much it costs American (and other) companies to change and just use metric are somewhat right. But think about it what it costs to have two standards at the same time. Because you could give all your reasons why companies still use the imperial system can be given about two systems as well.

What I mean to say with that? -- If you need to have tools (and bigger tools in a production plant) in two systems, you need to pay for both. If you have screws and other material in both systems you are practically paying twice. Sure you can substitute somethings but still, it's having two system which makes the least sense.

I am not saying that it doesn't cost money to change to one system, I am just saying that it might eventually be cheapper to change than just pushing the problem away untill it comes up the next time.

--Just my two cent.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

1293 uses English measurements. I can't think of anything that we consciously, intentionally did with metric (although I'm sure there's something on Ockham that was done in metric at some point)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP IRI? SCRIW IV (48,749.9 miles)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Alumni
AKA: Phil
FRC #0527 (red dragons)
Team Role: Alumni

[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to [527]phil

Being I work in machine shops I have to use both. Usually when machining a part I use English measurements. But if I have to fix the machine of change the tooling I have to use metric sockets and Allen keys. But as for My robotics team, we're die hard English sytem users. the only metric parts on our bots we're a few Allen head screws. But if I'd have to choose between metric and English I'd have to say English, plus if suddenly the world switched to metric I wouldn't be able to use my vernier or micrometer .

Mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 04:44 PM
FRC #0617
Team Role: Mechanical

jrocket567 will become famous soon enoughjrocket567 will become famous soon enough

Just as long as you keep one system throughout a project--- i hate it when i have to keep switching from us back to metric, and metric back to us--- i can ususally get the size of something by looking at it, but that doesnt work when you start flippin systems- i have to lug in 5 different sockets in the size range to find the right one Ford is notorious for it.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to metric, inch by inch.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Alumni
AKA: Phil
FRC #0527 (red dragons)
Team Role: Alumni

[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to [527]phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocket567
i have to lug in 5 different sockets in the size range to find the right one
Thats why you use a vernier or micrometer to measure it before going for a socket

Quote:
We're moving to metric, inch by inch.
ROFL!!! *high five!!!*

Mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: