OCCRA
Go to Post This is an Internet forum- if you want to relax, sit next to a pool and sun bathe. However, the rest of us will have a mature discussions and debates on the CD forums. - MikeDubreuil [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:06 PM
no team

Pipisongo will become famous soon enough
Any older robotics hobbyists out there?

Hi everyone. I just purchased a Vex starter kit a couple of days ago and I'm learning the ropes and having a blast with hobby robotics. I searched the web for a good forum and it looks like this is the place to be. However I'm 27 years old and was wondering if there are any more older persons like myself who frecuent this forum, or are the vast mayority of you in high school. By the way, I have to say that I envy every single one of you have competed or will compete in a FIRST competition. I drool every time
i see images of a FIRST competition thinking how cool it would have been to have that opportunnity when I was in high school.

So are there any older hobbyists out there?

Happy gadgeting,
Jorge L. Molinari, PE
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Jack of all trades
AKA: Phil
FRC #0486 (The Positronic Panthers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Babyhueyhnx is a jewel in the roughBabyhueyhnx is a jewel in the roughBabyhueyhnx is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Babyhueyhnx
Re: Any older robotics hobbyists out there?

i started in FIRST my sophmore year in high school. Now Im 20 and just cant get enough of FIRST. This will be my third year in college and its just to much fun to stop. I've even gotten my 26 yrld brother to get involved. Its a blast.

FIRST Topsite

Got Robot? - Team486.com

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Every day is a present. After all is a called "the present," and live every day like its your last.

Get Firefox!

Reclaim Your Inbox!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Adam Richards Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Richards

This link could help if you want to get involved with FIRST as a mentor:

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/gtstart.htm
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 12:49 AM
AKA: Tim Craig
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
TimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to beholdTimCraig is a splendid one to behold

Older? I attended my 40th high school reunion this year. But then, I was a prodigy.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Retired
no team

Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

My 40th. reunion comes up in '07. I've participated in FIRST as an engineering mentor, event volunteer, and behind the scenes as a fundraiser/promoter. Last weekend, thanks to the "anything goes" format at the Novi Expo-tition, I got the chance to be human-player and even operated the robot's boom in the final match.

So, quit drooling and get busy! If your local high school doesn't have a team, then get one started by using all the influence you can muster to convince some parents, students, dedicated teachers, and a $ponsor that FIRST is the best thing since microwave popcorn.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

Jorge,

There are many engineering mentors and teachers that frequent this forum. Most of us are associated with FIRST robotics teams, but some are not.

I am 33 and, like you, did not have FIRST available when I was in high school. I have been mentoring a FIRST team for 6 years now.

Welcome to the forums and beware that in January most of the discussion in this forum will be about the 2006 FIRST Robotics Competition game. I am sure there will a lot of VEX talk too so keep checking the forums.

-Paul
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Nope, nope... no adults here. We're all kids.

Welcome Jorge.

Andy B.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

[geezer]I was building and programming teleoperated robots before you kids were born.[/geezer]
Seriously, I was the prime programmer for a college open house robotics project in the early 1980s. I've been helping with a FIRST team since my son started high school two years ago.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Rookie Year: 2002
Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
Nope, nope... no adults here. We're all kids.

Welcome Jorge.

Andy B.
I concur with Andy. I guess it depends on your definition of old. Some of us are a lot younger than others look.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
no team

Pipisongo will become famous soon enough

All right thanks people. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Regards,
Jorge
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
AKA: Dan Quiggle
FRC #0179 (Children of the Swamp)

Rookie Year: 1999
Swampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond reputeSwampdude has a reputation beyond repute

Team 1144 Coquitron is from PR, here's their website:

http://www.pupr.edu/organizations.asp?ID=41

They competed at our Florida regional last year, great team...

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Who ya calling old? I don't play with robots, it's much more serious than that.

But seriously, Steve is older than me. Shhh don't tell anybody.
www.wildstang.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Parent/Mentor/Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra
FRC #0228 (GUS)
Team Role: Electrical

skimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jorge,

I've seen your posts on vex - skimoose here - hey I'm 42 and got involved as a coach with my kids for LEGO League 4 years ago and moved up to mentor FRC two years ago. Don't be envious! Have fun - get involved - help start a team if necessary - just do it.

There's just as much satisfaction and challenge helping a FIRST team. As far as Vex goes. You won't have to wait long. According to the FIRST website, kickoff for this years 2006 FIRST Vex Challenge is October 2006. If there aren't any FIRST teams in your area, approach the local school system, boy & girls club, scouting groups, or other local youth groups about starting a FIRST Vex team. You won't regret.

2009 CT Regional Motorola Quality Award
2010 VRC Connecticut Championship Winners & Amaze Award
2010 VRC Championship Divisional Energy Award
2010 WPI Regional Winner
2010 WPI Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2011 WPI Regional Chairman's Award
2012 WPI Regional Finalists
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just say that I am old enough to have watched the original live broadcast of The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show, and leave it at that.

Yes, there are some of us out here. Welcome aboard!

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!

Last edited by dlavery : 08-29-2005 at 11:26 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2005, 02:23 AM
no team

HologenicMan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 39 and have been interested in Robotics/AI since 1984. My kids aren't in High School yet, but they like the lego robotics mindstorm for now...

John L>

Goal:
There's strength in simplicity.

Note: Goal not always achieved.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: