OCCRA
Go to Post Ah, drills & motors. Brings back old memories of FIRST - nparikh [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
PhD-in-training
AKA: Melissa Thiessen
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
melitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to melitami
Sometimes things just fall through....

As many of the Philly/NJ/MD area FIRST people know, I was planning on starting a rookie team at a local high school for my senior design project. Unfortunately, due to senior design deadlines and lack of commitment and communication from the high school, we have had to withdraw from the project this year Myself and another member of my senior design team will be working with the high school once things are worked out to hopefully set up the infrastructure to start a team there next year.

Big thank you to all who have offered support, given advice, and been behind me in this endeavor.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2005, 06:53 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes things just fall through....

Quote:
Originally Posted by melitami
As many of the Philly/NJ/MD area FIRST people know, I was planning on starting a rookie team at a local high school for my senior design project. Unfortunately, due to senior design deadlines and lack of commitment and communication from the high school, we have had to withdraw from the project this year Myself and another member of my senior design team will be working with the high school once things are worked out to hopefully set up the infrastructure to start a team there next year.

Big thank you to all who have offered support, given advice, and been behind me in this endeavor.
So sorry to hear that things did not work out.

If you need any help in the future just contact us. Maybe if you get some support by November, you could bring some kids to Ramp Riot.

Talk to you soon.

Al Ostrow
team 341
2014 Hatboro District Champions (thanks 2590 & 272)
2014 Lenape District Team Spirit Award
2014 Finger Lakes and MAR CMP KPCB Award
Overall Record 60 W - 37 L
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Melissa, from those of us who have been there, we know how hard a job it is starting a team. And one of the hardest things is dealing with the schools. Often it is baby steps forward. I know you must be disappointed but maybe next year!

As a wise man from PA once said to me "Changing the culture is hard work."
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:20 PM
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
John Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMom
Melissa, from those of us who have been there, we know how hard a job it is starting a team. And one of the hardest things is dealing with the schools. Often it is baby steps forward. I know you must be disappointed but maybe next year!

As a wise man from PA once said to me "Changing the culture is hard work."
So true; sometimes the speed of enlightenment is painfully slow. Melissa, I can really appreciate what you are going through (so far I am fortunate to have more time before my deadlines). Thank you for your commitment and for sharing this - I wish you the very best and I hope we're in a match with your team some day!

"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving..."
--Albert Einstein

2001: FLL852 |2002: FLL20/FLL21 |2003: FLL23/FLL25 |2004: FLL14/FLL16 |2005: FVC22/FLL124 |2006: FLL3/FLL2986/FVC22/FRC1732 |2007:FLL3/FLL34/FLL56/FRC1732
2008: FLL3/FLL18/FRC1732 |2009: FLL101/FLL8963/FRC1732 ...(etc.!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: