OCCRA
Go to Post Based on my experience coaching basketball and robotics, there is no doubt in my mind that if a sports coach receives $x then a robotics coach should, too. - dtengineering [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore
Re: This year we need instant replay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey
Since when did fun and competition preclude accurate playcalling? They're not mutually exclusive.
--Petey
But, at the FIRST events I have attended, I have witnessed accurate playcalling.

It isn't that the referees "missed" something. Usually they saw the exact play that is disputed, and usually from a better vantage point than any camera or other spectator. It's the interpretation of what was viewed that is the dispute. A camera won't change the interpretation of a rule.

The teams need to discuss a questionable call with the referee based on the interpretation of the rules.

Let's play Devil's Advocate for a moment:
How many teams, in videotaping their matches, would be willing to rush up to the referee after they win a match, and provide video evidence that they actually should have lost the match?

If you claim to want "accurate playcalling" for a competition, you must be willing to do this. Otherwise, you just want "accurate playcalling" when it benefits the preferred team. (Preferential referee accuracy)

Instant replay should be used just as vigorously to prove you lost a match as to prove you won one. That's a tough pill to swallow, but it is an honest one.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Retired
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

In Detroit we were eliminated in the semifinals on a thirty-point penalty.

At West Michigan we were never paired with any seeded teams, yet faced them a couple times each in the quals. We ended up seeded eighth and got creamed.

At IRI some early ten pointers took us out of contention and we didnít get picked.

At Kettering our alliance partner got stuck in a goal while touching a tetra and took us out in first match in the quarters. In the second match the autoloader attendant was daydreaming with ten seconds left Ė jammed our partners and us up Ė we both ended the match a second or less from scoring the winner.

At Rah Cha Cha our partner took a ten-point penalty that forced us to play a third match in the quarters. Our other partner lost all function in their mechanism so they went out and played defense. We ended up champions.

Now to you the truth, I canít say which event I enjoyed more. They were all good. A reversed call or two due to instant replay or vociferous protest might have changed an outcome, but it could not have made things one bit better.

So go ahead and have instant replay. Iím still going to ref. Iím still going to mentor. It wonít change a thing from my point of view. There will still be winners and losers. The winners will be the ones who go away happy. The losers will be the ones who feel they got screwed.

Last edited by Jack Jones : 11-08-2005 at 08:00 AM.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really think that a replay would be needed. We have refs to make calls, and if they didnt see something happen or didnt know the rules, well... I guess it happens. No one is perfect.

Plus, if you had replay... it would deffinately draw out the events, think about how many teams would want to argue calls. I think it would cause a bunch of trouble to be able to change a call.

I say just give the refs a break, they are doing the best that they can, and I know I appreciate it.

Replay/video isnt a BAD idea, its just not a GOOD idea for FIRST.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST does have instant replay. Its called the off season.

We all come out to play again and have fun. The stiff regulations of the official season are relaxed.

Ramp Riot did it perfectly this past weekend- like Outback- "No Rules- Just Right"

WC

Raider Robotix- www.raiderrobotix.org
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

NO !
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne C.
FIRST does have instant replay. Its called the off season.

We all come out to play again and have fun. The stiff regulations of the official season are relaxed.

Ramp Riot did it perfectly this past weekend- like Outback- "No Rules- Just Right"

WC
Speaking as a RR ref, thank you Wayne! I think you may have pointed out one area which FIRST can address: too many rules. At RR, the focus was on throwing penalties only where people's and robots' safety was at stake. If this was FIRST's prime directive to the refs, I think most of the calls for instant replay would go away.

Refereeing Triple Play was hard work. So much happens so fast all over the field, it is easy for the refs to miss things. I know there were a couple of times that tetras broke or were descored in front of me that I didn't see until it was too late to know for sure how it happened, because I was watching to see if the human players were touching the robots, or there was heavy robot contact distracting me. My hat's off to everyone who volunteered to ref this year!

Slightly off-topic, but as an off-season ref (PARC and RR), I have a couple of peeves with FIRST's rule-making:
- There are a number of penalty rules for Triple Play which could be relaxed or eliminated without much effect on the game (does it really matter if the human player is touching their tetras during autonomous play?).
- Releasing the rules as a "work in progress", with many interpretations and revisions throughout the season seems to create a lot of confusion.
- Leaving obviously contentious issues poorly-defined, such as for robot tipping. These should be clearly defined so that the refs are clear as to what is acceptable and what is not.

#37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Bloom
NO !
Yeah, what Stu said.
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
They're trusting ME with a Kickoff?
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
Yeah, what Stu said.
Wait a minute, did Dave just say something flat-out? Like something that didn't cryptically refer to a hint that will still not make any sense whatsoever four weeks into build?

I knew that slice of pizza I had the other day tasted funny.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV USC Kickoff (51,610.5 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Stu for President!
Please go see the other 437 threads where I explained my views on this topic.
We are SUPPOSED to be actively engaged in a culture-changing activity that focuses on what is truly important in our society so all of mankind makes progress.

How on EARTH would instant replay ever help get that done?
It would only INCREASE the incidences of red-faced people who want to have calls changed (because we've elevated the importance of the on-field competition) and ultimately we'd become this angry bunch of individuals, lose the overall message, and turn into what we all see WAY too much of in our community athletic programs.

We are different, on purpose, for a reason. No one in FIRST should EVER forget that.

OK....rant over.... carry on

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
Wait a minute, did Dave just say something flat-out? Like something that didn't cryptically refer to a hint that will still not make any sense whatsoever four weeks into build?
... Unless, of course, he was referring to something else Stu said in a different post.
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

I must agree with Jay on this one. Being a 229er, in High School and now as a mentor, we have always been told that the refs do there best job. There should never be argueing about what a ref calls, they are doing the best that they can. As Andy and some others said, if you think there should be Instant Replay put into the game, just think about what the refs already have to go through. In addition it would go against the rules of FIRST, were every year it is known that the refs decisions are final, as there decisions and calls should be respected anyways.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Forward.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, is everybody breathing? Good, you better be.

This is a subject that comes up every year, and as many posts previous have stated, it's not entirely feasible for all of the competitions to make this accommodation due to various types of limited resources: time, volunteers, and money.

There are many ways to make a difference in the refereeing process, many of which have been stated, and some of which have no place at this time of year. It is, quite honestly, too deep in the schedule to make a global accommodation for this in 2006. If you would like to recommend it for 2007, I'm sure your local team forum would be happy to listen, which is the most appropriate time frame for this request to be handled correctly.

Thank you for bringing it up for discussion, but the question has been explored, a general consensus has been achieved, and there are many more productive ways to spend our time right now. Let's move on.
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

I think the bottom line is: Who really cares?

Build a robot.
Go to the event.
Have Fun.

If winning that individual match is more important to you than being there in the first place, then I believe you've got your priorities in the wrong spot.

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM
AKA: Mentor / Coach
FRC #1538 (The Holy Cows)

Rookie Year: 2005
Jon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jon Jack

I agree that there should be some sort of review. Last year in Vegas there was a match we were in that had a questionable penalty, we asked to have it reviewed and the judges refused. The penalty was a 25 point penalty and it lost us the match.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
FRC #0148
Team Role: Engineer

Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Bloom
NO !
Yeah, what Stu said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
Of course, it's so simple... Dave's just copying what Stu said!! Next year we will have 2 of the exact setups on each side of the field, whichever alliance is Red go's first... they have 30 seconds to do a task and then the Blue alliance must do the exact same task on their side of the field in the same order. They then have the next 30 seconds to complete another task. Then the Red alliance goes again, copying what Blue did in theirs second 30 seconds. after that comes autonomous... using only sensors !!!

... nah, just kidding. But back to the task at hand.

JT
Alumnus - Theta Tau, Mu Gamma Chapter
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: