Go to Post Now Dave, before you get all snarly about these- remember, I still have the button maker... - MissInformation [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2
Coercing McMaster into sending me a catalog.

Some people on this forum have obviously obtained McMaster catalogs. How did you do it? I have sent in many requests on their website and even called the sales reps several times and they have promised to send me a catalog. Still.. Nothing. I even asked if i could have one when i went to pick an order up form the local warehouse and they said they couldn't help me. How do i obtain one of these sacred books? Othe companies with equally gianormous catalogs are quite generous (MSC with their several thousand page hardocover catalog, newark with their full color catalog, allied electronics, etc).

Last edited by Rickertsen2 : 11-19-2005 at 01:06 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR
Re: Coercing McMaster into sending me a catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
Some people on this forum have obviously obtained McMaster catalogs. How did you do it? I have sent in many requests on their website and even called the sales reps several times and they have promised to send me a catalog. Still.. Nothing. I even asked if i could have one when i went to pick an order up form the local warehouse and they said they couldn't help me. How do i obtain one of these sacred books?
over the past two years, i've been using their website, instead of they're catalog. what makes the catalog better than the website? what've i been missing?

"But to say that the race is a metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is a metaphor for the race." -- Donald Antrim
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR
over the past two years, i've been using their website, instead of they're catalog. what makes the catalog better than the website? what've i been missing?
I like paper things better. Its nice to be able to sit down with the thing and flip though it.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you can get someone you know from a big company, (like NASA) to order you one. McMaster is much more responsive to companies and small businesses who buy from them on a regular basis.\

Edit:
Those who didn't understand the NASA joke, should read Lavery's and Kevin Watson's posts below.

Last edited by JVN : 11-19-2005 at 08:27 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Have you tried asking any of the companies that support your team?

If they can't (or won't) get you a new one maybe they can give you an old one as most suppliers like this give out catalogs a few times a year. There isn't a big product change between 1-2 catalogs so a slightly out of date one will be fine.

I've gotten many older, and a few brand new because the company already had one or more, from where I work including MSC, Grainger, Panduit, Festo and even a 6 inch binder from SMC containing all thier pnuematic components.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

There are times when having the web is better but there are other times when having the catalog is really much preferrable.

For example, sometimes I don't know exactly what I want and the search on their site doesn't provide any good leads. In this case, the catalog is the only way to shop.

I don't know how to get McMaster to send you one, but there are several available on ebay -- probably cost you $20 or so by the time you factor in shipping, less if you are willing to live with less than the latest and greatest version. I have #111 -- but #110 would work for 99.99% of the time need/want to use a catalog.

Have you tried calling them? I have never hung up unhappy after talking to the customer service folks at McMaster.

Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that my experience with McMaster has been exactly the opposite from Joe's. I have never had a good experience with them, and absolutely refuse to do business with them either personally or professionally. It should not matter if I am just representing myself as an occasional customer using personal finances, or representing a $16.5 billion organization. If they want my business, then they should act accordingly. If they don't, I am quite happy to take my business (and that of my $16.5 billion organization) elsewhere.

The way that I see it, if I have to repeatedly request a copy of their catalog and they still never get around to actually sending one, then that is highly indicative of their overall attitude toward their customers. The last time I requested one of their catalogs I received a form letter in response that stated that my organization (NASA) did not conduct enough business to justify having them send me one of their expensive catalogs. In response, I sent them back a very nice letter noting that if they did not feel my organization needed one of their catalogs to enable us to order from them, then we would not bother them any further.

I wrote the letter on the back of a page from the MSC catalog.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!

Last edited by dlavery : 11-19-2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 03:23 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
I wrote the letter on the back of a page from the MSC catalog.
-dave
...and that is exactly why Dave is the coolest nerd I know. Nice Work.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Team Alumni
FRC #1184 (Cobra Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
ConKbot of Doom has a spectacular aura aboutConKbot of Doom has a spectacular aura aboutConKbot of Doom has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
I like paper things better. Its nice to be able to sit down with the thing and flip though it.
You never know when you'll find something you didnt know you needed. Its like walking though a super walmart
2005 Philly #1 seeded team, highest average points, and semi-finalists
Thanks to 103 and 484 for being alliance mates.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I will be honest, I can't recall a single negative word ever said about them unless it is that their prices are high for some items.

I have placed literally 100's of orders totalling well over $100,000 with them over the last 10 years. I got the same great service whether the order was from me personally, or as a Delphi engineer, or as a small business man. I have nothing but good things to say about them. In fact, I often use them as examples of a company with great customer service, one that almost always exceeds customer expectations.

Strange that Dave and I should have such a widely varying experiences with the same company.

Perhaps the Aurora, OH service center is better at servicing the Midwest than whatever facility Dave has been working with.

It's a puzzle.

Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 04:23 PM
FRC #0237

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

My company is a vendor to McMastar Carr. We do approx $200,000 a year with them. They are a bit disorganized for a company their size. I also find using their website very difficult. I am sure they could double their business with some changes to their operations.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 04:47 PM
FRC #1640

Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Mcmaster Carr is on my A list of vendors. Never had a problem with an order. I quite often e-mail them for spec sheets and usually get a reply that day. They are not always the cheapest but if its in stock I usual get the stuff fast. 1 or 2 days. Your school probably has a catalog. The maintenance people or the shop teachers may have it. If not I bet they would be very responsive from a school. Ask your school to get you 1.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM
AKA: Brian Graham
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Not2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond repute

McMaster's website is great. But I do understand the need for the paper copy for searching. See if any local companies have an older one... I know we always had 4 or 5 versions at the plant.

I also have had good luck with McMaster (and Grainer). I also grew up 5 minutes from the Aurora, OH location, and thus must assume that all people from that area are awesome! heh heh heh.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 06:04 PM
FTC #1682

RivetsRUs is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a catalog out of Mc Master Carr can be quite difficult towards the end of the year. Let me ask a few questions:
1. Have you bought any thing from them? Paper catalogs are expensive and are typically reserved for paying customers or companies. Has you Team bought anything from them?
2. Have any of your sponsors or school purchased anything from Mc Master Carr? If so ask them to request a catalog for you.
3. If all else fails use their online catalog, try to use a dsl or faster line. A dial up will take a while due to the heavy graphics content as the scan all the catalog pages.

Hope this helps.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2005, 08:01 PM
La Caņada High School
FRC #2429

Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
Maybe you can get someone you know from a big company, (like NASA) to order you one. McMaster is much more responsive to companies and small businesses who buy from them on a regular basis.
Well, I've tried repeatedly to get a printed catalog, but was never successful.

-Kevin
Google Advanced Technologies and Projects
http://kevin.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: