OCCRA
Go to Post Result: 44 volts through the DAP-1522. NOT FUN. - DtD [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 02:36 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coercing McMaster into sending me a catalog.

I've had McMaster ship an order in 3 different parts without letting me know about it in any way. So when the first box shows up, I'm like "where's the oher half of my order?" Then I call and they say "oh, there is another box on the way." And then I get the second box and go "hey, I'm still missing this one thing" so I call them again and they inform me there is a third box, on its way. Very confusing.

Also, I once ordered a tiny little clutch bearing about 1/4" in OD and 1/4" long and weighing about an ounce. That's all I order. They packed it in a box about a foot square and 6 inches tall and charged me nearly 8 bucks for shipping and I'm less than 40 miles away.

I think their website it quite good though. I much prefer it over something like a paper catalog because since it is digital media, it is easily searchable.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 05:13 AM
no team

jeffmorris is on a distinguished road

I ordered a few things from McMaster Carr, Mouser, and Woodworker's Supply. Mouser sent me a 1650-page catalog and Woodworker's Supply sent me a 640-page hardcover catalog. I don't know how many pages in the McMaster Carr catalog because I didn't get it. It would cost those companies a lot of money to print and mail big catalogs and they could need a lot of trees to print them.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Prophet of ROFLCOPTER
AKA: charles
FRC #1771 (NGHS Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
teamtestbot is a jewel in the roughteamtestbot is a jewel in the roughteamtestbot is a jewel in the roughteamtestbot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to teamtestbot

In the combat bot world, where most teams are individual or small-time setups, receiving a McMaster catalog is some sort of rite of passage.

If I recall correctly, McM will only send you a paper catalog after you do enough business with them. I don't know the exact amount, or if there even is one.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtestbot
In the combat bot world, where most teams are individual or small-time setups, receiving a McMaster catalog is some sort of rite of passage.

If I recall correctly, McM will only send you a paper catalog after you do enough business with them. I don't know the exact amount, or if there even is one.
Our team has done small amounts of business with them throughout the years. Perhaps i should try from the school.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:11 PM
FRC #0637 (Mr. T)
FTC #0030 (Mr. T)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Noah Melamed has a spectacular aura aboutNoah Melamed has a spectacular aura aboutNoah Melamed has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Noah Melamed

I too attempted to get a catalogue but was unsuccessful. Though I was unhappy with that I am always suprised by the way they have handled my other requests. I have often recieved phone calls in responce to emails requsting information about prospective parts.

My favorite McMaster story occured over there summer at our sponsors shop where we ordered a part online first thing when we got into work. It arrived that afternoon early enough for us to finish assebling that day!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Melamed

My favorite McMaster story occured over there summer at our sponsors shop where we ordered a part online first thing when we got into work. It arrived that afternoon early enough for us to finish assebling that day!
On 229, the joke was always "Order it from McMaster, it'll pop out of your CD-ROM Drive."

I've had nothing but great experiences with them as well.

The only time I had a semi-bad experience:
I placed a web order. 20 minutes later, I realized I picked the wrong screw length. Called them up, and asked them to change the length I chose. They said they couldn't, because it had already shipped! They're FAST.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Engineer
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about McMaster catalogs, they really do not go out of date. I have a 103 at work and a 101 at home. I use them for browsing then plug the number into the web site for current price and it will update the number if required. It is absolutely true that they are stingy with their catalogs.

The web site can be cumbersome but you can find anything, eventually, unless what you or they call it is too unique.

As for service, the NJ office has been nothing but professional. Orders in the afternoon are on my doorstep when I get home the next day. Split orders are defined on the paperwork in each box, those included have the price attached, the rest are just listed.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:15 PM
AKA: Rees
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
rees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
Our team has done small amounts of business with them throughout the years. Perhaps i should try from the school.
After reading this thread I figured I would attempt to get them to send me a copy. No such luck.

"Because we produce and distribute a limited number of catalogs each year, we are unable to fulfill your request."

I have ordered only a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from them, I am a regular user of their website, & purchase stuff a couple dozen time a year. I tried from the "Technology Teacher" position.

Good luck.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rees2001
"Because we produce and distribute a limited number of catalogs each year, we are unable to fulfill your request."
That's pretty funny.

"McMaster-Carr Supply likes to spread things around -- especially things like tools and industrial supplies. The company distributes more than 400,000 products (98% of which it keeps in stock) such as air conditioners, clamps, drills, exhaust fans, generators, pipes, pumps, valves, saws, switches, and thermal insulation. McMaster-Carr has no sales force; it does its business through online and catalog sales. Customers can order the company's products via e-mail, fax, the Internet, or the telephone in English, French, or Spanish. The company has operations in California, Illinois, Georgia, New Jersey, and Ohio"

I guess catalog sales are irrelevant as of now. How can you do major business through catalogs when you print a limited number of them. Sounds like a company I don't want to deal with.

I suggest
http://www.grainger.com/

or

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

#25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
Both of whom are generous with catalogs. Sending out catalogs doesn't seem to be bankrupting those companies. I agree with Elgin. If your only sources of sales are your website and catalog, why eliminate soo many potential customers? The website is great if i know exactly what i am looking for and the school's internet is in a good mood. Half the time i only know "I need a thing about ye big with a hole in it". Having access to a catalog and being able to flip through the possibilities is a great help.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by rees2001
After reading this thread I figured I would attempt to get them to send me a copy. No such luck.

I have ordered only a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from them, I am a regular user of their website, & purchase stuff a couple dozen time a year. I tried from the "Technology Teacher" position.

Good luck.
This seems to be true. I wonder if they'll let anyone know when they print them every year so we'll know the exact time to ask for them before they're all gone. They need to know that FIRST teams come first, not businesses.

I went to thier website and couldn't find a way to recieve a catalog. At MSC's you can request one and also a CD which I have. The CD I find handy. I loaded it onto my laptop that I carry around. The laptop's easier to carry the the MSC catalog.

I mostly deal with MSC and in fact I placed an order with them yesterday, personal not business related. They have never given me any problems especially being an individual not a corporation.

Grainger doesn't like to deal with individuals, instead they prefer businesses. You can get around this by either ordering through a company or like what I have done, order through thier website and use a credit card. Going the website/credit card route they've never asked for a tax ID # or purchase order. There's also a Grainger local to me (25 minutes) in Southington. I've gone in there but without being a business they won't deal with me. This is one place I found where cash doesn't talk. I went back home and was able to order through thier website. Gotcha Grainger!

Just let the adults, mentors, ect. on your team know you're looking for one. Someone somewhere is bound to be cleaning out old catalogs this time of year and might be able to get one before it gets tossed. Then once you get one hang onto it like gold and never let it out of your sight.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:00 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

My answer: Be like Dave, give up, and go to MSC. For the time I have been in FIRST, our team has dealt exclusively with MSC. Though they are very generous with their catalogs (we get a new one every year), you don't even really need one. You can just call them, literally. Whatever we need throughout the year, we tell our mentor, he calls them, and they find a solution for us. Of course, its easier if you have something in mind, but they're wonderful. And if they don't have it, which is a very rare occurrence, they will find it from someone else, and maybe even order it for you. I talked to a representative on one occasion, and it made absolutely no difference that I was a student he had never talked to. And, on top of that, they are reasonable, offer a FIRST discount, and ship very quickly, although I have never found my part in the CD drive. Probably for the better...

I hope I've made myself clear. MSCDirect or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Mike Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond repute

WoW! Such a variety of answers here.

My experience with McMaster Carr has been great. Order it by 5pm and it is at my door by 2pm the next day.

Yes, some orders are split, but I have always been sent an e-mail explaining what is going on.

I think it depends on what you are ordering.

Nothing beats the local hardware store.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Rookie Year: 2003
Starman will become famous soon enough

I have been doing business with McMaster-Carr for about 15-20 years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. I first started doing business with their Chicago office before they built a warehouse here in Atlanta. I was always impressed with how friendly and courteous their telephone order-takers were. They always went out of their way to help me and gave me as much time on the phone as I needed.

I now do business with the Atlanta office and the same holds. They must have a fantastic corporate culture. Everyone is very professional, but very helpful, looking out for my interest and making sure I have just what I need. I often pick up my orders at will-call, especially when I worked close to the warehouse. Once I ordered the wrong bolts, so when I went by to pick up the order, I told them what I had done and they immediately changed the order, called up to have the right bolts sent down, and had me out of there in no time. All this happened while the place was going nuts around me because UPS was on strike and they were looking for other ways to get their orders out (at any one time, there will be a half-dozen UPS tractor-trailers backed up to the doors being filled with orders on a normal day, so you can imagine how a strike would disrupt operations). Anyway, they went out of their way to make sure my $6.00 order was correct, even when I had made the mistake on it.

Getting a catalog is difficult, but if they have them in stock and I need a new one, they will usually give me one. If you ask at the wrong time of year, however, they will be out. I find it necessary to have a paper catalog, since they have so many things I don't even know exist. I leaf through the catalog until I find something that will do the job I need. It's amazing what they have that I can use for something besides what the item was designed to do. Or else I will find something better than what I was going to use.

In my book, they can't be beat. I also do a lot of business with Grainger and have had good luck with them. If you are associated with a school system, contact someone in the purchasing or maintenance departments to see if you can use their catalog or have an old one. I'll bet they have some.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for reviving a dormant thread. I didn't notice it in Nov-Dec '05; guess I was busy with my day job, trying to clear the deck before FRC started to get intense. Anyway, I finally did notice it when this spotlight showed up at the top of the CD screen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
If they want my business, then they should act accordingly. If they don't, I am quite happy to take my business (and that of my $16.5 billion organization) elsewhere.
I also work for a $17B organization (measuring annual sales; NYSE symbol is EMR). At my location we have about 200 engineers; we are a centralized R&D facility supporting a network of manufacturing sites which ship a total product volume exceeding 300,000 units daily. (And that is just the electric motor segment of Emerson, about $2B annual sales.) While we don't buy much that goes into actual products from McMaster-Carr, we do buy a lot a stuff from them to keep our labs and plants running. Given all that, we have no problem getting service requests handled, including updated paper catalogs on demand. My lab technician probably orders from McMaster-Carr every other day on average. Because we have a nearby McM distribution center, orders normally reach us by 10:30 am the next morning; occasionally we get some material shipped from another center that arrives later the same day or the following day.

I am amazed to hear that McMaster-Carr does not view NASA as an account worthy of the same excellent service that they give my employer. That just doesn't make sense to me -- I'd expect that NASA would buy a lot more stuff for R&D support than Emerson does.

McMaster-Carr is not the best cost supplier for raw stock, as many others on these fora can confirm. But they are my favorite for wide variety, excellent online information, good product line searchability, and very fast delivery.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: