OCCRA
Go to Post Each match is a learning experiance - the only thing you can do is get better. - SuperJake [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute
Cool PreRookies, Mentoring and the future of FIRST

As you all can see elsewhere- yesterday at Montclair Mayhem we competed with three Pre-Rookie teams using borrowed robots to play in the off season competition. This idea is not new but is turning out to be the next wave in development of new FIRST teams at least for our region.

Let me digress- the idea first emerged last year when Baldwin HS of NY brought a pre-rookie to Brunswick Eruption. They used an old Baldwin robot and basically just came to have a good time. And we made sure they did. And last fall they made their own robot.

So we have this Senior Mentor named Kloberg..... and we got to thinking. And our RINOS recruitment program started inviting schools from the region to come to the NJ Regional with students assigned as chaperone guides for the visiting schools. And, of course, those same guides are now the ones acting as field coaches for these new guest drive teams at the off season events. It trains the rookies and trains my team to be leaders and future coaches.

Yesterday team 25 had 3 robots at Montclair. All three made it to the top 8 seeds- two with completely rookie drive teams. We know that in September these kids will be back with their schools ready for their own robot seasons. Team 555 and 56 also had pre rookies on the field.

There are 6 more teams waiting, and lots more that don't know they are waiting-yet.

-

Part 2- Despite having many teams claim to want to be mentors, we have now checked all the websites in the FIRST world and we find only 7 teams that have programs oriented towards helping and starting rookie teams. Oddly, most are in the Northeast. We are in process of contacting them now and soon will be looking to create something uniform there.

So I put this out to all of you- we've heard of Dean's homework over and over. We think we are doing it here in NJ. What kind of organized efforts is your team doing? And if there isn't one, would you like help getting one started?

WC

Raider Robotix- www.raiderrobotix.org
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly
Re: PreRookies, Mentoring and the future of FIRST

It's happening in PA too Wayne.

There's a pre-rookie team at my new school, Lower Merion HS (the team has no number yet). Team 341, host of Ramp Riot this coming Nov 5, just last week, graciously offered to retrofit an old robot so LMHS can play the game AND they've offered to include LM students in the modification process in the fall. Needless to say, the students and school administration are overjoyed and it's given FIRST a huge boost at LM.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Paul Kloberg and you Wayne (the NJ dynamic duo) for promoting this incredible idea and to Al Ostrow, Dina Campagna, and the rest of 341 for this unbelievable opportunity.

There are a few other budding new teams in PA that I know of, so if anyone else in the region would like to give a pre-rookie a lift, please let me know and I'll connect you.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 05-15-2005 at 01:37 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute

The Boilermaker Regional Committee invited at least one pre-rookie team to the regional this year, giving tours and explaining the competition. IndianaFIRST (long before it was known as IndianaFIRST) has been cultivating rookies throughout the state for several years. Many of the existing teams have started this way.

This is an excellent way to help rookies get on their feet. Kudos to you for coming up with such a program.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
HGFSP
FRC #0025 (Team 25)
Team Role: Alumni

Keith Chester is a splendid one to beholdKeith Chester is a splendid one to beholdKeith Chester is a splendid one to beholdKeith Chester is a splendid one to beholdKeith Chester is a splendid one to beholdKeith Chester is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Keith Chester

This year we had propsective rookie teams be given guided tours by members of 25 during the regional - they were given the VIP treatment to get them excited over the program.

But having teams actually be a part of a competition is far more powerful than any tour or demonstration I've given.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute

Prerookies- 7 months later

The prerookie idea has caught on here in NJ over the past 6 months. Since the original posting of this thread a number of teams have played as pre-rookies and now are registered in their own right as new rookies for the 2006 FIRST season.

These teams enter FIRST with the experience of dealing with robots, playing in a tournament and with friends on senior teams to mentor them through the first year.

My congratulations to the teams below and their mentors=

1807 Bristol-Myers Squibb & Allentown High School Allentown, NJ USA - mentored by teams 1089 and 25

1862 21st Century & Cliffside Park High School Cliffside Park, NJ USA - mentored by team 555

1881 Garrett Morgan Academy- BMW of North America/New Jeresy Community Development Corp. & National Society of Black Engineers - PTGI Chapter Paterson, NJ USA - who played at BE4 for the first time with their own robot refitted for the game from another comp- and mentored by Sabrina Varanelli of 1302

1882 Howell High School Farmingdale , NJ USA - winners of Duel on the Delaware!!!- mentored by 25

1923 West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North Plainsboro, NJ USA - mentored by 25 (Big Mike and friends)

1929 Credit Suisse & Montclair Board of Education & Montclair Board of Education Montclair, NJ USA - the all girls Montclair 2 team mentored by 555

It is good to see new schools joining FIRST and even better to see multiple senior teams working with them.

I am sure all of these teams will be a force to be reckoned with in their rookie season next spring.

WC

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-27-2005, 12:59 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't make too many assumptions based on team websites.

I think that there are many, many teams that help rookies and pre-rookies. They just don't have this information on their sites.

There are some awesome teams out there that truly care about our rookies but just aren't that great at documenting or, in some cases, don't care to document this activity.

Although I am sure there are exceptions, every rookie team that I talked to last year had at least one team helping them. I was actually very impressed!
2014 Hatboro District Champions (thanks 2590 & 272)
2014 Lenape District Team Spirit Award
2014 Finger Lakes and MAR CMP KPCB Award
Overall Record 60 W - 37 L
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team

Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold

At Rah Cha Cha Ruckus, there were I think two prerookie teams competing, by borrowing Robots from other teams. Honestly, I think its a great idea and excellent way to spread FIRST. People have to know FIRST even exists before they can start thinking about creating a team. I know a small group of people in the Binghamton area who together I like to think of us as a PreRookie team. No way could we compete this year, but we are putting together a business proposal to Lockheed. All goes well and you'll see us in 07.

Best way to get the word out for FIRST is Demo, Demo, Demo. There's no reason anyone in your community shouldn't know what you fokes are doing.
Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2006, 09:45 AM

Prerookies- the follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne C.
Prerookies- 7 months later

The prerookie idea has caught on here in NJ over the past 6 months. Since the original posting of this thread a number of teams have played as pre-rookies and now are registered in their own right as new rookies for the 2006 FIRST season.

These teams enter FIRST with the experience of dealing with robots, playing in a tournament and with friends on senior teams to mentor them through the first year.

My congratulations to the teams below and their mentors=

1807 Bristol-Myers Squibb & Allentown High School Allentown, NJ USA - mentored by teams 1089 and 25

1862 21st Century & Cliffside Park High School Cliffside Park, NJ USA - mentored by team 555

1881 Garrett Morgan Academy- BMW of North America/New Jeresy Community Development Corp. & National Society of Black Engineers - PTGI Chapter Paterson, NJ USA - who played at BE4 for the first time with their own robot refitted for the game from another comp- and mentored by Sabrina Varanelli of 1302

1882 Howell High School Farmingdale , NJ USA - winners of Duel on the Delaware!!!- mentored by 25

1923 West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North Plainsboro, NJ USA - mentored by 25 (Big Mike and friends)

1929 Credit Suisse & Montclair Board of Education & Montclair Board of Education Montclair, NJ USA - the all girls Montclair 2 team mentored by 555

It is good to see new schools joining FIRST and even better to see multiple senior teams working with them.

I am sure all of these teams will be a force to be reckoned with in their rookie season next spring.

WC

Yesterday my guys spent the day working with one of the new teams above and we got to wondering what the progress of the pre-rookies from BE 4 was.
So I thought I'd write and update on where they are today

1807 Bristol-Myers Squibb & Allentown High School Allentown, NJ USA - after working with 1089 this past fall, 1802 are flying like pros in the build season. They are in regular contact with 1089 and us and seem to be building right ion schedule

1862 21st Century & Cliffside Park High School Cliffside Park, NJ USA - 1862 is struggling a bit in their first season but they will get a machine built on time. They have been putting in a lot of time and have found an engineer to help them out.

1881 Garrett Morgan Academy- BMW of North America/New Jeresy Community Development Corp. & National Society of Black Engineers - PTGI Chapter Paterson, NJ USA - and mentored by Sabrina Varanelli of 1302-
I haven't heard anything of their progress. I know Sabrina knows her stuff and I am sure they are working.

1882 Howell High School Farmingdale , NJ USA - already veterans of VEX, the coach tells me they have a machine well under way. It should be a great one.

1923 West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North Plainsboro, NJ USA - these guys have a machine 3/4 built and should have it done and ready for programming by next week.

1929 Credit Suisse & Montclair Board of Education & Montclair Board of Education Montclair, NJ USA - the all girls Montclair 2 team mentored by 555 = with the veteran team support of 555 these ladies should be well set.

We plan on seeing at least several of these teams at the Feb 19th robot rally. I am really happy all of them are playing this year.

WC

Last edited by Wayne C. : 02-05-2006 at 09:50 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2006, 06:33 PM
In Search of "Bang Head Here" Sign
AKA: Ira Goldberg
FRC #3632 (D-Tecs); FRC #1712 (Dawgma)

Rookie Year: 2005
IraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to IraJason Send a message via MSN to IraJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kressly
It's happening in PA too Wayne.

There's a pre-rookie team at my new school, Lower Merion HS (the team has no number yet). Team 341, host of Ramp Riot this coming Nov 5, just last week, graciously offered to retrofit an old robot so LMHS can play the game AND they've offered to include LM students in the modification process in the fall. Needless to say, the students and school administration are overjoyed and it's given FIRST a huge boost at LM.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Paul Kloberg and you Wayne (the NJ dynamic duo) for promoting this incredible idea and to Al Ostrow, Dina Campagna, and the rest of 341 for this unbelievable opportunity.

There are a few other budding new teams in PA that I know of, so if anyone else in the region would like to give a pre-rookie a lift, please let me know and I'll connect you.
I would like to say that I am part of that previously un-numbered LM team (We are now team 1712), and team 341 was extremely helpful, allowing us to modify one of their older robots to compete in Ramp Riot 2005. It definitely was great to be able to have some competition experience and knowing what goes on during the main event, especially when your entire team is new to this.

I would like to thank Mr. Ostrow and all of Team 341 for helping us out and allowing us to share in the experience as a pre-rookie team. Again, Thanks a lot!

-Ira
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2006, 08:18 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraJason
I would like to say that I am part of that previously un-numbered LM team (We are now team 1712), and team 341 was extremely helpful, allowing us to modify one of their older robots to compete in Ramp Riot 2005. It definitely was great to be able to have some competition experience and knowing what goes on during the main event, especially when your entire team is new to this.

I would like to thank Mr. Ostrow and all of Team 341 for helping us out and allowing us to share in the experience as a pre-rookie team. Again, Thanks a lot!

-Ira
Ira:

On behalf of the crew at 341, Thanks for your kind words.

I know that the kids had a great time helping you get ready for Ramp Riot. I also think that I can safely speak for all veterans when I say that our satisfaction comes from seeing you succeed as a team and stay in FIRST for years to come.

Best of luck in Philly!!!

Al Ostrow
2014 Hatboro District Champions (thanks 2590 & 272)
2014 Lenape District Team Spirit Award
2014 Finger Lakes and MAR CMP KPCB Award
Overall Record 60 W - 37 L
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 02:02 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

If you are a veteran team who has been involved in mentoring pre rookies please post here and let me know which teams you have mentored and how? It would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to keep track of where the pre-rookie influence is going geographically.
Thanks,
-Bharat

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: