OCCRA
Go to Post If people really want to see "better" refereeing, they should see what they can do to help FIRST make better. - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#256   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
∆o□
AKA: The Burmanator
FRC #0075 (Roboraiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Alex Burman Send a message via MSN to Alex Burman Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Burman
Re: 2006 game hints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Bloom
I apologize in advance ... I know its just a typo but I just can't help myself ...

Well, I ... for one ... am glad you are not "in-contontent".

thats what i get for posting before im fully awake
but if any of the ideas come true it would make for a very interesting game
p.s.i was just wondering...has anyone tried calling tammy? (sorry tammy for giving them the idea)

www.Roboraiders.com
http://www.myspace.com/burmanator

Last edited by Grayswandir-75 : 12-01-2005 at 06:06 PM.
  #257   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Alum
FRC #0004 (Team Element)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
raf4far has a spectacular aura aboutraf4far has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
I had a scary thought last night. Remember earlier in this thread when several people were clamoring for the hint, Dave said, "You already have it," and someone said "start paging through his post history"? Well, I think we may have gotten it wrong. Remember the "Triple Replay" thread? Let's expand that to any FIRST game over the years. Before '99, they were 1v1v1. My scary thought was that the GDC has revised one of those games for 2v2v2, added something so we won't recognize it, and that is our new game. Scary, huh? But not all that unlikely. But unlikely just the same.
wow i never thought if it that way. Hmmmmm......

hey dave did u have to redesign the game yet?
  #258   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Rookie Year: 2004
InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

FLL and FRC seem to have some similarities. Like the ramp from 2003 games. And stairs from the following years.

Maybe 2006 will have a bit of Ocean Odyssey. Maybe flags? Or more ramps?

Flags seem to be most like batons. And maybe that's where the underwater rumor came from.
  #259   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 10:33 PM
AKA: Matt
None #0703 (Team Pheonix)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
MattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud of

I do not think we will see 1v1v1 or 2v2v2 again. Those who can remember 1998 will know what I am talking about. There was some very unfortunate situations that arose from that game design where 2 weaker teams would collaborate to eliminate the supposedly stronger team. It was the next year that alliances were introduced. At the kick-off either Dean or Woody said; "Last year some teams decided to work together, well, this year we are going to make you work together".

I don't think the game design committee would forget the problems with three competitors on the field at once.
  #260   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2005, 11:20 PM
FRC #0204

Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute

That would be kewl
  #261   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)

Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandyspaz
any one want to add to this list?
Two possible truths:
1) Lower, more restrictive budget/more reliance on KOP
2) Shipment of Corechart programming software with each KOP

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #262   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 09:43 AM
God, First Class, Unlimited
AKA: Anthony Fisher
FRC #1073 (Force)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Belldandyspaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Belldandyspaz

thanks mr. peterson. im assuming that KOP stands for Kit Of Parts. (i know im a n00b)
  #263   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)

Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandyspaz
thanks mr. peterson. im assuming that KOP stands for Kit Of Parts. (i know im a n00b)
It does.

You're very welcome.

Looking for something to put in your sig? Permalink the list of knowns/unknowns. Here it is.

Edit: A ha I just noticed you're from my team. True n00b, then, but good work on making this list! Enjoy HBHS. Tell Sabo to email me about the website and Janice that I said hi. I'll see you at kickoff.

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #264   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

I have no insider information. But I do think it would be cool if the "hint" we already have turns out to be the current FVC game. Halfpipe Hustle with 130 lb. machines would be an exciting spectacle.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #265   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Buffster
AKA: Paul Lathrop
FRC #1033 (Holy Rollers)
Team Role: Coach

paul lathrop is an unknown quantity at this point

You all are thinking way too much into these clues! The clues are to be a fun way to start our minds from being disabled over the season break.

Here is what I suggest about the new game:
1. 2 on 2
2. Old playing field dimensions
3. Relay Race between alliance members( one disabled at a time)
4. A lowered budget for the build season
5. The camera is going to come back I gar-entee it
6. The autonomous mode time will remain the same as it always has been
7. There will be aspects of the game that involve the camera ( remember how much it sucked with those vision tetras, double it)
8. No hovercraft, No water ( are you kidding me, what were you thinking?)

As for the rest of the game, I don't know but I got the team working on concepts that we missed out on last year
ex. DeWalt transmission, any arm idea that we can think of and just getting the new kids involve with the program.

I think the best thing to do is prepare for anything like a boyscout and just get some community service work done for the chairman's award.

You Know
Paul Lathrop
Team 1033
Chocolate Milk
Class of 2006
  #266   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 09:19 PM
DC Regional VC
no team (Former Team Paragon member)

Levin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud ofLevin571 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Levin571

seeing how Dave is an old fashioned kind of guy, I believe that this will be the reintroduction of "MAIZE CRAZE" and there will be tethers instead of radios and all the popcorn you can eat.

Or if i am going the wrong direction about this time travel thing, instead of going literally back in time, we will assume that the since Dave is a NASAite (or is it NASAian? I never get that right) the further we go away from earth, in theory time goes backwards (like if a tv emmision were to air here and someone went a few hundred trillion miles away from earth, he could watch it "live" in ten years) so what we must do is build robot that can fly so fast that it can catch a television news report with Dean Kamen still having a beard and Woody Flowers not wearing one of his imfamous student signed shirt. And if we still have time, we can watch the holy birth of JVN.

Last edited by Levin571 : 12-04-2005 at 09:24 PM.
  #267   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2005, 09:20 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul lathrop
You all are thinking way too much into these clues! The clues are to be a fun way to start our minds from being disabled over the season break.

Here is what I suggest about the new game:
1. 2 on 2
2. Old playing field dimensions
3. Relay Race between alliance members( one disabled at a time)
4. A lowered budget for the build season
5. The camera is going to come back I gar-entee it
6. The autonomous mode time will remain the same as it always has been
7. There will be aspects of the game that involve the camera ( remember how much it sucked with those vision tetras, double it)
8. No hovercraft, No water ( are you kidding me, what were you thinking?)

As for the rest of the game, I don't know but I got the team working on concepts that we missed out on last year
ex. DeWalt transmission, any arm idea that we can think of and just getting the new kids involve with the program.

I think the best thing to do is prepare for anything like a boyscout and just get some community service work done for the chairman's award.

You Know
Paul Lathrop
Team 1033
Chocolate Milk
Class of 2006

I've got agree with you on everything but a few things. Namely, 1, 3, and 6. Three on three worked too well for FIRST to ditch it. Secondly, First (no pun intended) would not disable a team during the match because that would be even less play time in already short matches. Thirdly ( or sixthly??) the camera task has to be easier. Well, maybe not easier, but better thought out. Physically speaking, there was absolutely no margin for error in the autonomous. There simply wasn't time for it. FIRST never really thought out the time it'd take to finish the task in the time given. Ironic, considering how much effort they put into design. I guess they get just as excited as we do during build.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #268   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Engineer disguised as a Physicist
AKA: Leslie Salas
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: College Student

Winged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Winged Wonder Send a message via Yahoo to Winged Wonder

my brain hurts. perhaps i should have waited until after Exam Week to start looking through Chief Delphi again.

anyways...
Dave. You're cruel.
especially with your most recent post.

moving along, i like the ideas everyone has come up with... so far, i agree with a lot of what everyone else has come up with, but i'd like to elaborate more and hopefully bring some new ideas to the table from what i've gathered from Dave's hints without echoing whats been said before.

First of all, snow or ice or anything of that nature is highly unlikely, especially for those of us who live in areas that dont have snow or ice, since we are completely unfamiliar with that phenomina (those of you who saw the Pink Team in Denver last year saw for yourselves) and do not have an abundant supply of it during the months of January and early February.... however, perhaps there is a slick surface that the robot will have to deal with that has a coefficient of friction similar to that of ice against metal or something to that extent. Also, apparently there will have to be shelter from something... perhaps something like confetti will be involved. Especially if it is like those little squishy packaging things (that i have no idea what their name is) which would be relatively easy to clean up (sweep it!)... You all have been alluding to the vision cameras being used and the chicken coop... maybe there is a tunnel of some sorts that the robot has to go through... yet the drivers cant see it because it is placed perpendicular to their point of view, therefore the human player or the use of the camera must aid in getting from one point to another. Maybe the game involves cooperation by all of the teams involved (there is no loser), or maybe both sides of the field are NOT symmetric for once, giving each side a distinct advantage/disadvantage. nah.. that last one is too crazy, and its not based off of any hints. I dont even know what to think of the batons.... but quite frankly... i like the idea of not having fasteners or limiting fasteners on the final version of the robot (the one you ship and use for competition). even if we had last years game, we would most certainly have very different robots thanks to this rule. its not an impossible regulation... everyone just needs to think a little outside of the box and be more creative, not try to find loopholes or anything of that nature.

or maybe i'm just a crazy IB kid who's analyzing everything in far too much depth. ^^;

enjoy my 2 cents...

I GIVE FREE HUGS AT COMPETITIONS!! (just ask!) | Real Men Wear Bodypaint Pink! | Good Luck This Year!!

Embrace your inner dorkiness, because face it, life is too short to be cool.
  #269   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Jno
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Jonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Norris

I have played hockey for many years, and have regularly practiced on this fake ice surface which acts very much like ice. It is basically a very hard slick plastic surface which you can skate on. This could be a possibility for the ice like surface and it is relatively cheep, but definitely not as cheep as carpet or PVC.
  #270   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Chris
FTC #1073 (The F.O.R.C.E)
Team Role: Driver

litchfieldc will become famous soon enoughlitchfieldc will become famous soon enough

I think you may be onto something their. However, maybe the field won't be the slick surface everyone is talking about. Maybe the game objects will be made out of that slick plastic so that we will have a bigger challenge picking it up. Lets not rule out the possibility of a ramp either. That could be made out of something slick, so that when you go to get something from it (score multipliers, game objects, etc.) you slip down, unless of course you use your team mates to help you out. I can see the stratagies forming now. "Hey man, give me a boost so I can get up the ramp."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: