OCCRA
Go to Post I have a bobble head? - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Official Game Hint Discussion

In that case 4 teams already know how to play on wierd stuff

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Definitions for the term "show":

http://www.answers.com/topic/show

Specifically, definition Noun 6c:

"A usually competitive exhibition of domestic animals"

Okay, who's willing to admit they treat their robot as a pet?
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Dillon
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: College Student

CmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKiNg_1083
i've got it!! this year's game is going to be just like "Maize Craze" except instead of corn kernels its going to be a bunch of ziti and spaghetti!
sorry for the off topic but,

Andy Brockway jokingly said this at our last meeting.

"Great autonomous mode Dillon."," It hasn't been written yet"
after an Archimedes match

#49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:36 PM
AKA: Steve Farley
FRC #0808 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Safarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura about

Some one has already mentioned this to me, but did you guys know that Montana Green is a power company? It researches in ecofrendly power sources, ex: wind, solar.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:41 PM
FRC #1807 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

nalbonec will become famous soon enoughnalbonec will become famous soon enough

The purpose of a shovel is to dig a hole, it's show is the hole. Maybe a game piece that has to fit into a certain shape hole, like the game Perfection?
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist
Re: Official FIRST Hint declassification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex469
"and seeing Montana's green heights"

well, green was the unofficial color of the CMU, so this might suggest it's comeback. Montana is a rather large state, this + the word heights seems like it points to there being a large object in the middle of the field, like a huge green goal or whatnot.
Montana is also an extremely popular brand of spraypaint, particularly amongst graffiti artists. My brother has several nice hues of green...

5 Makes me think that perhaps we'll be going back to two on two matches, with the "placebo" coming back, perhaps this time in a way essential to the game. It could be a target of some sort.

Does anyone have the exact wording of the VCU "snow" hint? I was there, but I can't remember...

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen

Last edited by phrontist : 12-23-2005 at 10:01 PM.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

I don't believe the game pieces will be noodles at-all. Mainly because this isn't an item which any team in the northern states will have an easy time finding due to the fact we don't swim much during the winter. I do however believe there will be something stored which gets dumped like the balls got dumped a few years back from above the human player. Then the item, easiest item to make is baton shaped, gets picked up and stored into a "goal", likely a box?

-Mike
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Building robots since 1995
FRC #4914

Rookie Year: 2002
Vince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond reputeVince lau has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Vince lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech75
if i had to make a guess about the shovel part of the clue i would go back to some of the previous theory's. Every1 was talkin abou the new traction wheels from IFI so it could have something 2 do with a slick surface (when it snow it gets slipery and shovels remove snow) on the field. Deffinently not ice or snow, but some kind of plastic like on the ramp in 03.

but im prolly way off

Maybe an playing field, the the surface is all HDPE
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
∆o□
AKA: The Burmanator
FRC #0075 (Roboraiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud ofAlex Burman has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Alex Burman Send a message via MSN to Alex Burman Send a message via Yahoo to Alex Burman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbonec
The purpose of a shovel is to dig a hole, it's show is the hole. Maybe a game piece that has to fit into a certain shape hole, like the game Perfection?

that could bring in the hoola-hoop idea, that there would be raised up hoolahoops and they have to drop the baton into hoop. 10x multiplier for having the baton rest on hoola hoop

www.Roboraiders.com
http://www.myspace.com/burmanator
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike AA
I don't believe the game pieces will be noodles at-all. Mainly because this isn't an item which any team in the northern states will have an easy time finding due to the fact we don't swim much during the winter.
Pool noodles can be ordered online at any season. Just as bins were ordered in 2003, and balls in 2004.

Repeat after me: "The Internet is my friend."
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:10 PM
AKA: Joe
FRC #0663 (crusaders)

sburro will become famous soon enoughsburro will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sburro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Moore
Pool noodles can be ordered online at any season. Just as bins were ordered in 2003, and balls in 2004.

Repeat after me: "The Internet is my friend."
Imagine all noodles in the US and Canada all sold out in minutes. I better buy stock in a noodle company
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:13 PM
"Scale Electric Vehicle"
AKA: Shane Colton
FRC #0097

Rookie Year: 2003
ZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ZZII 527

Being a die-hard 49ers fan, I want to believe that the hint does refer to Joe Montana and that "Montana's green heights" refers to things which are 3 feet high. To venture a guess: a central structure with 3-foot, 6-foot, and 9-foot levels to be reached either by robots or by game pieces.

I also like the line of thought that "a shovel's show" refers to a TV show. Another show that has a shovel character is Bob the Builder. Perhaps several different shapes of game pieces will be available and robots must use them to build something to score points.

I don't know what to make of the pasta. Pool noodles fall apart too easily to be used as game pieces, I think.

Last edited by ZZII 527 : 12-23-2005 at 10:15 PM.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:14 PM
RoboShow Producer
AKA: DJ Royal Fusion
no team (RoboShow)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Swan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Swan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburro
Imagine all noodles in the US and Canada all sold out in minutes. I better buy stock in a noodle company
In that case, you better start now and buy up all of the noodles before the season starts and everyone else rushes to buy them.

In terms of the original clue, I've got a song stuck in my head:
On top of Mount Pasta
All covered with Cheese
I lost my poor meatball
Because somebody's robot went berzerk in autonomous mode

Or something like that...

Follow us on Twitter @RoboShowLive and check out our website, www.theroboshow.net

"As president, I believe that robotics can inspire young people to pursue science and engineering. And I also want to keep an eye on those robots in case they try anything."
ó President Barack Obama
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:15 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

Alright, I ahve a couple possibly importent things to bring to the table. I was interested by the thought that all pasta is not spaggetti shaped. Very important. However, assuming the pasta is long and thing, this would fit in well with a long PVC baton type object. Pasta is also typically not made fresh in America, aka dried! The PVC would be far, far more durable than a pool toy.

Secondly, the 5 robots tangling is probably not to be taken literally, but consider this for the strategy people: What if the format was 3 vs 3, and 1 robot from either alliance had to voluntarily agree to sacrifice their driving ability (i.e., stay on a pressure pad), in order for either alliance to play. So, for example, for 15 seconds into the gameplay after autonomous, if noone had gotten onto the pressure pad, noone would play till like the last 25 seconds, or not at all. If nothing could be worked out between opposing alliances, the best autonomous would win the day. Man, I hope thats not it though. Bit too evil for my liking...

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2005, 10:16 PM
AKA: Joe
FRC #0663 (crusaders)

sburro will become famous soon enoughsburro will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sburro

Does five robots equal bigger field?

Display Modes Rate This Thread