OCCRA
Go to Post Arefin Will You go to the prom with me :D ? i Have a dress picked out and everything :) - Tytus Gerrish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grinding down skyways

one of the few things our team has never gone into is how we make our wheels. Sure we give them readers digest version but the fine details is something we hold very close. Same goes for our 4 ounce breaks. I suggest you find a team or place that will let you use a lathe because with wheels you want everything to be even.

shaun
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 09:09 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsyl
one of the few things our team has never gone into is how we make our wheels.
I still don't understand this attitude.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
FRC #0025

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
your kidding right

shaun
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
FRC #0025

Re: Sharing Designs

i think telling teams how you do something is almost a must in first. Not only does it make you push yourself harder to be better but allows other teams to become more competive in first. However getting into the fine details is like trading base ball cards. You do not trade your babe ruth rookie for john doe wheaties card.

shaun
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
I do, in a way.

In FIRST, we help each other. White papers, mentoring other teams, and so on. However, I think that it's reasonable for teams to withhold a little bit of the "secret sauce" that makes their robots uniquely better-suited for a certain task.

Nearly every field has certain tricks that people keep secret from their competitors to get a slight edge. Using a tool you fabricated yourself to reach that one darn screw hole. Stuffing a 500-HP engine into a small car and making it look stock. Writing the program that does what you want your way. None of these may be particularly public, but nobody raises a stink about them.

That doesn't mean, however, that you can't attempt to figure it out for yourself. 25, for example, goes to a heck of a lot of competitions (last year, I recall New Jersey, Palmetto, the Championship, and a bajillion-million off-seasons). Each of those events has a bunch of camera-wielding nuts, all snapping pictures of the robot in action. And going into 25's pit, there's no barriers stopping you from getting up close and personal with their robots (unless you count fear of being bearhugged by Big Mike as a barrier). So one could probably get some good views of what they're doing.

So perhaps a team doesn't want to let out all of their secrets. That just gives you a bit of a challenge. Go up to the team's pit. Ask questions. Take pictures. Figure out how it works. Test it out when you get home. Then YOU can post it on Delphi (giving credit where it's due) and be showered in praises, green dots, and photoshoppage.

As long as there's a competition involved, someone will have a brilliant idea to give themselves an edge. Sharing it is awesome, and I highly recommend it, but nobody ever said it was a requirement.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:27 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

People don't have problems with other teams not sharing designs. Problems arise when people come out and bait others with statements like "xxx on our robot was so great, but haha, Im not going to tell you how it works!!!". If you want to keep your "proprietary" ideas secret, that's your team's decision. There's no need to be arrogant about it though.

And at any rate, if you want to see how 25's done their wheels, they have indeed shown everyone how to do it. See this picture.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
FRC #0025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
People don't have problems with other teams not sharing designs. Problems arise when people come out and bait others with statements like "xxx on our robot was so great, but haha, Im not going to tell you how it works!!!". If you want to keep your "proprietary" ideas secret, that's your team's decision. There's no need to be arrogant about it though.

And at any rate, if you want to see how 25's done their wheels, they have indeed shown everyone how to do it. See this picture.
Now with all that info just think of what we did not tell you. Yet you have enough info to go out and do it yourself

shaun
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Custom User Title

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
Now with all that info just think of what we did not tell you. Yet you have enough info to go out and do it yourself

shaun
What else is there to tell?

I don't want a carbon copy of your wheels.. I want to improve upon your design.

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make though. Are you in support of teams sharing designs?

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
FRC #0025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri
What else is there to tell?

I don't want a carbon copy of your wheels.. I want to improve upon your design.

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make though. Are you in support of teams sharing designs?
yes i am into sharing ideas. But we do not like giving away everthing because we want teams to figure it out on there own. I will give you one example about the wheels we do not talk about until after the comp. Tread design, every year when the game changes we change the way the treads are cut. We do not tell teams how or why we cut them until after the reagionals or somtimes nationals depending on how easy it is to copy. Great example of teams taking a design was back in 2002. team 88 tj2 had a great idea of how to get there robot back to the home zone. after the nj reagional everyone copied them.

shaun
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great example of teams taking a design was back in 2002. team 88 tj2 had a great idea of how to get there robot back to the home zone. after the nj reagional everyone copied them.
Are you talking about electrically-powered tape measures (or similar devices)? Because those were developed independently in several places, and after a build-period Q&A post describing them, many more teams put them on (well before NJ). If it's not the tape measure that you're describing, then I'd hardly see how "everybody" had one.

Incidentally, I'd submit that the vast majority of teams who used tapes used illegal ones, because of the then-in-force additional parts rules. By those rules, teams could only legally use the tape measures from Small Parts Inc.—which were a particular Starrett model that wasn't widely available.

Last edited by Tristan Lall : 01-19-2006 at 10:25 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

half the fun of this program is being given a problem to solve, then coming up with creative solutions.

personally I would much rather have someone tell me "we found a way to launch 10 balls at 100mS intervals and put them all in the target from 30 feet away" and stop there

than to have them tell me exactly how they do it.

Sharing critical information is one thing: how do I get the code to download, how to you connect the compressor to the valves....

designing our robot for me? no thanks! Thats OUR job :^)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:26 PM
AKA: Cory McBride

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall
Are you talking about electrically-powered tape measures (or similar devices)? Because those were developed independently in several places, and after a build-period Q&A post describing them, many more teams put them on (well before NJ). If it's not the tape measure that you're describing, then I'd hardly see how "everybody" had one.

Incidentally, I'd submit that the vast majority of teams who used tapes used illegal ones, because of the then-in-force additional parts rules. By those rules, teams could only legally use the tape measures from Small Parts Inc.—which were a particular Starrett model that wasn't widely available.
Tristan, 88 used a very long strip of polycarb that was rolled up and then released at the end of the match. It would unroll itself all the way back to the home zone. It was pretty cool.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando

I think part of the complication of this subject has to do with the difference between engineering concepts and designs/strategies, so I've divided my comments:

I think all teams need to increase the frequency that they share engineering concepts. Concepts such as how to telescope tubes using a single cable/string or how to create a claw on an arm that doesn't change it's angle (two-bar linkage). Sharing these ideas barely stunts creativity because they are the solution to the common problems that arise in engineering designs. I think it's actually more likely to increase creativity because it gives teams/students more tools in their engineering toolchest to pull out and use on their designs. These concepts are often text-book, but that doesn't mean a high-school student is exposed to them or even has access to them which is in part why FIRST is such a great experience.

To sum it up, this is about the question "how does it work?" which is something well all thought before we smashed open our first alarm clocks to find the ticking answer.

That said, I think *designs/strategies* should stay with a team at least until competition. Now, I know I showed the world our prototype ball launcher, but the reality is that there was no more there than there was at the FIRST kick-off. We simply remade a softball launcher using kit parts and robot-legal materials to prove that kit parts would work. What I think should stay with the team is their brainstormed/tested design solution to a part of the game challenge (such as ball collecting/launching). And my argument for this is in line with many others - keep the solution out of your mind and your creativity will have to take over to solve the problem. And that creates a greater learning experience.

To sum this one up as well, it's about the question "why was it designed that way?" Why can take apart a keyboard and figure out how it works. But to understand why we have the QWERTY keyboard layout takes a lot of creativity and learning unless you have the answer handed to you (you know, in history books or online). You don't get the answer by taking about the keys and playing with the membranes and silicone!
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Electrical Engineer / Computer Geek
AKA: Eldarion Telcontar
no team (Teamless Orphan)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eldarion Send a message via Yahoo to Eldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
designing our robot for me? no thanks! Thats OUR job :^)
EXACTLY!

I personally think that if you must share your designs, do it when there is no time left for others to copy them. If everyone shared everything, we would have 2,000 excellent but identical robots, leaving the matches up to random chance!

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.
If it's rampaging around destroying things it's a programming problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

...imagine that. If we all worked together, the world would be a better place. When we protect proprietary information, we make life better for ourselves at the expense of other people.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: