OCCRA
Go to Post The purpose of this forum is for us to communicate our ideas, so that we can collectively strengthen our ability to inspire others. - Jaine Perotti [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Financial Engineer
no team (Robot Yacht Club)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are Chief Delphi users thin-skinned?

I've been posting on CD frequently now for about a year, and I've noticed a few things about it. The major thing though is timing, you posted a touchy thread right in the middle of build season. And in build season, everyone has a short temper, why? We have 6 weeks to go from start to finish, its a very high pressure situation for all of us.

That was probably the main reason why as many people gave you Negative rep as they did, but hey lets go review how exactly reputation works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Reputation FAQ
What are good and bad things to give negative reputation for? Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, their team, etc, is it not appropriate to give them negative reputation for no reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.
I hope that explains it some more, the rep system is full of Grey area, my best advise is most definetly, THINK BEFORE YOU POST, my second best is, does this offend anyone? and my third would be Does this post benefit from discussion?

Of course you can always review the stickies (*gasp*!) what a concept
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey

Nobody in real life paints a number on me that everyone else everywhere can see... a number that will cause pre-concieved Ideas about me. i.e.) You don't know whether or not I am the most popular kid in my school.
( I was talking about figurative dots too)

AND...

If you are in a professional environment, of course you have a reputation, but we are in a peer environment, Not many people choose whether or not they are going to hire anybody based on chiefdelphi.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Jack of all trades
AKA: Chris Hammond
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Chriszuma is just really niceChriszuma is just really niceChriszuma is just really niceChriszuma is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Chriszuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Sorry to rain on your parade but reputation is not between two people. I have worked for 31 years in a company where your reputation arrives well before you do. It doesn't take long to lose a good reputation but it takes years to get it back. I have learned that hard way that there are ways to speak your mind and still have a good reputation. It is a skill that your must learn and the sooner the better if you plan on succeeding in the business world.
I've experienced this phenomenon of disproportionate effort required to gain or lose reputation just by being on a robot team. After I do something stupid it takes a long time for people to stop hassling me about it. But when I finish the electronics board and the operator interface on schedule, my respect level doesn't really increase that much.

... It just makes me want to sing an Aretha Franklin song...
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

I would like to propose an alternative to jumping on the Negative Rep button. While it can be useful, it often has the effect of getting the person more mad and bitter (and often quite defensive), rather than actually solving the problem. The solution: Follow Arefin Bari's method.
In the game hint discussion this year, I made a post that was quite harsh on one of the senior members of the forum. Instead of giving me negative reps, Arefin sent me an IM (PM's will work too) and calmly asked that I remove the post. I did. Problem solved, no feelings hurt, and no reps lost. I felt that it got the message across much better than negative reps would have.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody C
Nobody in real life paints a number on me that everyone else everywhere can see... a number that will cause pre-concieved Ideas about me. i.e.) ...
You in right... ...In real life, you paint the number on your OWN forehead.

How you dress, how you look, what expression you have on your face, your body language, etc.

You may not see the number but it is there.

People make unfair, unscientific, snap evaluations of other people all the time. It is the norm, not the exception.

Think about it.

Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

My two contributions to this thread:

1) If you think you are getting rep points unfairly, send me a PM1 rather than PM'ing the rep givers with vulgarity, threats, and other messages that aren't helping your situation. If you're getting unfairly attacked, we can do something positive and productive about it .. rather than sending inappropriate messages to those who have given the negative rep.

2) They're just dots. You can get them back.

1include a link to the post, please.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

[quote=Cody C]Nobody in real life paints a number on me that everyone else everywhere can see... [\QUOTE]

Untrue...While it may not be a number, you give yourself a reputation (For better or for worse). In your actions, your words, and your mannerisms you are being judged by your peers, always.

In business, that reputation will make or break you...It will get you that great promotion or hold it back.

Here in CD, we can only see the words you have typed. And that is all we have to go on. Until your reputation exceeds those little red / green dots you will be percieved by them, and the posts you make. Choosing those words wisely is sometimes an artform.

Disagreeing with someone is fine as long as you do not degrade or attack the poster. Reread your post and ask yourself -- are you discussing the message or the poster. If it is the poster you should probably re do your post.

Anyways, this is just my opinion on the subject.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 01:38 PM
In Search of "Bang Head Here" Sign
AKA: Ira Goldberg
FRC #3632 (D-Tecs); FRC #1712 (Dawgma)

IraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant futureIraJason has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to IraJason Send a message via MSN to IraJason

Well let's see, I'm going to share my view of what reputation is...

Reputation is how you present yourself to the world. If you act nice and are generally kind to others, you will have a good reputation, and people will look highly of you because of that. If you constantly bad mouth others and look down upon your peers, you will get a bad reputation, and people will be reluctant to work or associate with you.

As many people have said, it takes quite a bit of hard work to gain a good reputation, but only one mistake to give you a bad one. People are quick to judge, and just one slip, especially when people don't know you, can ruin people's perception of you. And while people may not think highly of you for a single comment, it is not the end of the world. Go out there, make yourself known, show that it was just a mistake and you truly are a good person. While one mistake can affect you for the near future, having a long running positive attitude towards yourself and others shows people your true nature for the long run.

Word about someone's reputation does get around, even if it was only a confrontation between two people. The bad does seem to spread faster then then good, but that is why someone should be as professional and courteous as possible to everyone that they meet. While you may not physically have a dot over your head that says whether you are a good or bad person, from what people hear about you, they will judge you for. By being a generally good person overall, you shouldn't have to worry about how people judge you, even if you do make one or two mistakes here and there.

As long as you continually show yourself to be a good person, whether it be on these forums or in real life, its ok to screw up once in a while. Just show the world who you really are and your reputation will reflect that.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Flex 188
I feared that this day would be a long time coming. I hope that everyone who reads this thread or posts maintains an open mind about it, because something like this has the propensity to cause a ton of controversy. But at the same time, I believe that this thread should be left open because of the concerns that it raises.
For shortness, I just quoted the one paragraph.

I was going to say something long, but then this durn guy above me meant and stole all of my ideas.

I too think reputation is fairly silly. For one thing, if you were truly interested, it's possible to give yourself as much rep as you want.

Recently, one of my teammates got bad rep for having his signature be 10 pixels too many. I agree with what Flex said. While pyro's thoughts were not well-considered, there was no particularly objectionable part.

To answer the question: yes, I think CD users are highly over-sensitive.

Paul Dennis
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross

And the winner of the second Occasional Grammar Curmudgeon Gold Star award for commendable use of the subjunctive mood is... (drum roll, please...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraJason
As long as you continually show yourself to be a good person, whether it be on these forums or in real life, its ok to screw up once in a while. Just show the world who you really are and your reputation will reflect that.
Congratulations, Ira!

My apologies to anyone whose subjunctivity I may have have overlooked. PM me if you would like to make a nomination.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me

Last edited by Greg Ross : 02-13-2006 at 04:02 PM.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah

aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well... after reading your thread, you did come off as a bit negative towards rookie teams.

In fact, our team has been praised by some for getting as far as we have this season. Everyone here is just trying to help each other out, and it is usually frowned upon when somebody says something offensive or rude about other members of the FIRST community, especially when they are new and are trying to be accepted into the community as a whole.
I would encourage everyone here to go and read the thread. While it is true that we frown upon rude or offensive behaviour and we definitely /should/ frown upon it, this statement implies something that is not exactly true. I agree with you that rookie teams are not looked down upon.
upon upon upon.

Paul Dennis
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah

Quote:
Well let's see, I'm going to share my view of what reputation is...

Reputation is how you present yourself to the world. If you act nice and are generally kind to others, you will have a good reputation, and people will look highly of you because of that. If you constantly bad mouth others and look down upon your peers, you will get a bad reputation, and people will be reluctant to work or associate with you.
I agree totally with what you've said. It's factually true. However, a couple quick points before my mentor picks me up by the scruff of my neck and dumps me in the snow:

1. If someone gets a bad rep, they can start a new account.

2. If someone has good rep, you are much less likely to give them bad rep and much more likely to give them good rep, simply based on the fact that they currently have a high rep. This is simply a fact.

Gotta run, seen some great thoughts here. Keep thinkin the good think!

Paul Dennis
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Wired magazine has just published an article titled that I think applies to much of this discussion: The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

I highly recommend the article. I think that some of our problem is just that folks really cannot communicate ideas and intent through text message.

Think about it when you write a message. Complex emotions & feelings are likely to be misunderstood by a significant fraction of your readers...

...For what it is worth.

Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeamdar
I too think reputation is fairly silly. For one thing, if you were truly interested, it's possible to give yourself as much rep as you want.
Although the reputation system may be flawed, it does have a set task - and that is to show which members of these forums have posted a lot of positive posts which contributed a lot to the the Chief Delphi community. This is a good way to show (more or less) who are the people to ask for help, or who are the people who are "role models" for the rest of the CD community.

I don't know about other people, but I always think twice before I hit the "Submit" button. If I am in a bad mood and the post reflects it, or if the post I am writing is not coming out clearly, or if the post I am writing doesn't contribute anything to the thread, I am more willing to forget it, close the tab, and move on. Having quality posts is much better than having quantity posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeamdar
Recently, one of my teammates got bad rep for having his signature be 10 pixels too many. I agree with what Flex said. While pyro's thoughts were not well-considered, there was no particularly objectionable part.
Giving someone bad reputation points for having a signature that is 10 pixels too long may be a bit too extreme. Sending the user a PM, IM, or email is a much better choice than giving them bad reputation.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
VirginiaFIRST FTA
AKA: Jack of all trades, Master of few
FRC #1610 (BOT (Forget not 616))

Rookie Year: 2001
pyroslev is on a distinguished road

Reptation does not matter to me. Mine has been all over.

At times, some things are blown out of porportions. Some are not. The thing is that some posts (and if I step on toes, it's the truth) people are tired and stressed and posts. (Been there in a bad way.)

Simple answer to the thread's question: People can be overly sensitive and overreact at times but who does not. CD is no different.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: