OCCRA
Go to Post There should be no teams yelling "robot". - RoboMom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
CLOSE THE DEAL
AKA: Jacob
FRC #1717 (DPengineering)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
jakey is a jewel in the roughjakey is a jewel in the roughjakey is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Rookie Team Wondering About Competition Procedures

We are a rookie team and were wondering how the weight of the robot is taken while at the competition. Is there an actual weigh-in procedure and/or is there a scale that we are free to go weigh our robot on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
Re: Rookie Team Wondering About Competition Procedures

Robot weights are taken on a scale at inspection. You are free to go over and use the scales if they aren't in use to check your weight before you begin the actual inspection procedure.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey
We are a rookie team and were wondering how the weight of the robot is taken while at the competition. Is there an actual weigh-in procedure and/or is there a scale that we are free to go weigh our robot on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
There is a inspection station that has among other things, a scale, and a sizing box. The official inspectors are there to help you along the process, and make sure you are safe, and comply to all the rules. You will need your robot's Bill of Materials as well. (Generated by you, accounting for all materials, and costs of the robot.)

Plan on doing this on Thursday as soon as you can.

If yuo don't pass weight/inspection by Friday morning, you may not be able to compete.

Get it done as soon as you can. (I know I repeated that, but it's important.)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute

Additionally, if you're overweight at inspection time it's not a big deal - you're given the chance to go back and remove weight and to get re-inspected. It's not a 1-time shot or anything like that. The only requirement is that you pass all of the inspection items before you are allowed to compete.

Make sure you download the inspection checklist from usfirst.org and run through it yourselves before you are officially inspected - it's what the inspectors will use and if you've checked it already there should be fewer suprises.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Rosser
AKA: Brandon Rosser
FRC #0469 (Las Guerrillas)

BRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to beholdBRosser314 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to BRosser314 Send a message via Yahoo to BRosser314
Smile Re: Rookie Team Wondering About Competition Procedures

When using scale or the sizing box just for brownie points wait until it is not in use or ask the head person in charge if there is anytime that we can weigh our robot to check your weight or size.

If you are underweight aand are in final configuration, they might ask you if you wuld like to be inspected right then, which can be a bonus because you can get it done as quick as possible. Just make sure you do it sometime far away from on of your matches.

A good time to do this might be when you get back from a practice mathc on thursday. That is if your robot didnt break or anything.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Anne Bergeron did some great white papers last year.

Inspection tips:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pa...le&paperid=433

What to expect at competition:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pa...le&paperid=394
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRosser314
When using scale or the sizing box just for brownie points wait until it is not in use or ask the head person in charge if there is anytime that we can weigh our robot to check your weight or size.
Another way to earn brownie points (or simply avoid incurring the inspector's wraith ) is to avoid stepping on or kicking the scale. Inspectors don't like to recalibrate the scale a hundred times a day

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D
FRC #1591 (Greece Gladiators)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Steve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Steve S. Send a message via MSN to Steve S. Send a message via Yahoo to Steve S.

if you have a scale or can obtain one, it may be better to bring your own, its less of a headache
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1591
if you have a scale or can obtain one, it may be better to bring your own, its less of a headache
Don't try to pass inspection with it. You will use the official scale for that, unless you have very forgiving inspectors. Team scales could be messed up somehow, making them not the most desirable in the world. If you have a small scale, bring it for parts (get an estimate of what you need to remove to put that part in), but I wouldn't try a scale big enough for a robot.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 05:58 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D
FRC #1591 (Greece Gladiators)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Steve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Steve S. Send a message via MSN to Steve S. Send a message via Yahoo to Steve S.

we have one we bought last year for this purpose and it only costs $100 and it works great, we use it to weigh our robot and parts (i think it depends on the kind of scale, dont be cheap)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 06:04 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1591
we have one we bought last year for this purpose and it only costs $100 and it works great, we use it to weigh our robot and parts (i think it depends on the kind of scale, dont be cheap)
In your build site, great. At competition--if I were an inspector (I'm not), I'd say, "yes your scale says you are under, but bring it over to the official one". Either that or I'd make you calibrate yours.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome and encouraged to check weight at the official scales at each competition. Most inspectors are willing to check for you (although I hear the lead inspector in Chicago and Milwaukee is a real tough guy) and the inspector's scale is the only one that really counts. Teams often come up and weigh parts, assemblies and even wire to see if it will make the cirtical difference between overweight and pass. Please remember that bumpers are not considered part of the robot weight or size but must not exceed 15 lbs in total. Please review R35 if you plan on using bumpers.
Inspectors are your friends and are there to make sure you are safe and legal to compete. They want you to be able to compete without breakdowns, damage to other robots or flames.
www.wildstang.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Head of Electronics
AKA: Kevin F.
FRC #1596 (Twin Saults International Instigators)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2005
the_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to the_short1

I know it was mentioned that you go into a sizing box, but be warned if your frame is (just) max dimensions, BOLT HEADS (etc) outside of max d is not allowd. They pass a flat stick down one side of box and will not pass inspection if it gets caugh up on anything. Also last year our lexan overhanged our chasis half a cm, and the inspector made us fix it... not all are that picky, but they can be.
2006 Website (Totally Revamped):Instigators1596.com
2006 GLR: 31st/61 Seed, Aliance: 835, 1213, 1596 (Quarter Finalists) Spirit & 3 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: 7th/31 Seed, Aliance: 1219, 1596, 912 (Semi Finalists) Spirit & 2 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: Aliance: 1596, 1680, 1114 Higest Match Score: (Q22) 128|32
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_short1
I know it was mentioned that you go into a sizing box, but be warned if your frame is (just) max dimensions, BOLT HEADS (etc) outside of max d is not allowd. They pass a flat stick down one side of box and will not pass inspection if it gets caugh up on anything. Also last year our lexan overhanged our chasis half a cm, and the inspector made us fix it... not all are that picky, but they can be.

Good points. Adding to this, the robot should not be pushing on the walls of the sizing box. Incidental touching is ok in my book, but if the robot is pushing on the wall and there needs to be some forceful effort to get the robot in the box, then something is wrong.

Ideally, the robot should not touch the sides of the sizing box.

Andy B.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_short1
There is no leeway on sizing, it either fits in the box or it doesn't, sorry.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: