OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST has changed my life and I can never say thank you enough. - Jason Kixmiller [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If you were a volunteer...

Over the past three years, I've been an emcee (2005 Capital Clash), a game announcer (ditto), a real-time scorekeeper (2004/2005 Championship), a field disassembler (Manchester Kickoff 2005), a robot inspector (Florida 2006), and a field resetter (ditto).

Ask anyone who saw the mentor rounds in Washington, I can't emcee for the life of me. Game announcing is probably my strong suit, as it's both fun and comes pretty naturally for me. RTS is fun, but irrelevant this year. Field disassembly...eh, it wasn't horrible. Inspector was fun, what with being able to get up close and personal with other robots of varying levels of competitiveness, but sometimes it gets really frustrating when you can't make heads or tails of a wiring setup hidden deep in the bowels of some odd part of the robot. Field reset was also reasonably fun, provided you didn't get run over by the kids carrying the robots.

All told, I'd love to do game announcer again. But failing that, I'd be game for inspector or reset.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Yoda
AKA: Joshua Graffman
None #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
JJG13 has a spectacular aura aboutJJG13 has a spectacular aura aboutJJG13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevanoort
I would like to be an inspector, they get to see all the robots and examine the mechanisms closely. What's better than that? (other than building the robots)
My thoughts exactly. I wish I had more times at regionals to really check out the other robots.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Science Enabler
FRC #0587 (Hedgehogs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Greg Young has a spectacular aura aboutGreg Young has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis
...which job would you like to the most? MC, Head Ref, Que-er, Pit Announcer, Ref, ....
I did field reset at NASA/VCU this year. I loved it. When I wasn't chasing stray balls I got to watch all the matches up close. I was amazed how many pounds of robot parts get left on the field.

I heartily recommend volunteering. I had great fun and got a real education about how much work goes into staging a FIRST competition.

If you have time at a competition, stop and thank some of the people wearing the crew shirts. They are working very hard to make sure the competition goes as smoothly as possible.

Greg
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that you could pay me enough to be a referee. They get yelled at, argued with, and all that they try to do is their job to the best of their ablility. I mean, heck, it's a volunteer job and you never hear people say "man, that was some awesome reffing," but more often than not, "those (beep) ref's don't have a (beep) idea what the (beep) they're talking about!" Talk about a thankless job!

I think that MC'ing or play-by-play would be fun. Seems like the kind of high energy thing that could keep my attention.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady

I wont lie to ya...the announcer or emcee position is a pretty sweet deal, even if it drives you into the pit of exhaustion. However...if you really want to get to know the in's and out's of how this competition works, scorekeeper is the place for you. It is a difficult job (especially this year at times) but when all is said and done, you walk away with a knowledge of exactly how everything kinda goes together. Its pretty amazing when you walk into a competition as a student...things seem like they just magically go together. Once you are behind the scenes you realize "WOW, there really is alot of really hard work and coordination that goes into making this happen!". I have had the pleasure as announcer of working alongside of dozens of different scorekeepers in my time. They all pulled together a great appreciation for FIRST and what it takes to make this stuff happen. Meli can attest to this...she got to experience all the high points and low points of the job, but I assure you she's dying to jump right back in! Great job Meli, and to all the other scorekeepers around...cheers to you! I dont envy your job, but I sure do respect it.

-Andy

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Alright lets see... I started volunteering for FIRST since 2003. I was the MC 2003, 2004, 2005 FLL local tournaments and FLL states for Florida. I also was a MC at Mayhem @ the Museum. This year I was a game announcer at Florida Regional. I love getting the crowd going. I like my job and I take it seriously.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 07:50 PM
It's a SPAM thing...
AKA: George1083; George180
FRC #0180 (SPAM)

Rookie Year: 1998
George1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved being an announcer/emcee at the Robot Rodeo. If I could only find a way to keep my voice past noon on Thursday I'd volunteer to do it at a regional.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-- Mahatma Gandhi
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

I've been a robot inspector since 2003. I tried reffing at last PARC and I could never ref a regional.

I hate to hand out penalties. At least when I tell a team they have to change something to pass inspection, I can help them change it. If I give them a penalty there is nothing I can do for them. I am still willing to ref off-season.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for being an inspector. I also wouldn't mind reffing. However I can't get away from work anymore and now that we're competing at the Championship I won't have a chance to try either this year.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 08:59 PM
PhD-in-training
AKA: Melissa Thiessen
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
melitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to melitami

I've been volunteering since my senior year of high school (2000-2001). -Started off with FLL field reset that year
-Moved to FRC team queuing for the 2002 Philly and 2003 Richmond regionals
-Event assistant at 2003 Philly regional
-2004 Richmond regional was team queuing some, but a lot of what I like to call running around making sure everything runs smoothly work
-2004 and 2005 (and 2006) Philly regional was/is assistant to the regional coordinators (job invented for me), which is basically a combination of setup, take down, talking to VIPs, running around making sure everything runs smoothly, answering questions, and just generally having fun

There's a few more FLL tournaments in there, judging for the ones here in PA and field manager for one in Richmond.

I love my job, even if it is VERY tiring. It's my run-around and always look like I know what I'm doing thing

I highly recommend volunteering, it's a very different perspective from being a team member or even a mentor, very eye-opening, and rewarding, IMHO!
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
FRC #0085 (B. O. B.)

Rookie Year: 1999
Mark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant futureMark Pierce has a brilliant future

After doing all kinds of odd jobs at the West Michigan Robotics Competition, I volunteered at the first West Michigan Regional in 2001. I helped with field set up. inspected on Thursday, did some general crowd control, and spent time just hanging out on the rest of the weekend.

I had a lot of fun working and talking with the great bunch of people from FIRST. Inspection was interesting, but I think in some respects the rules might be worse for inspectors now. We had a lot of walk in visitors from a teacher's conference in the same building, so I got to explain about FIRST a few hundred times... Wearing that crew shirt makes you a target for lots of questions, making it much easier to meet new people.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely emcee or game announcer. I love having the opportunity to act like a maniacal person for weekends at a time

In the past I've done field reset and real-time scoring.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Robots are so scene nowadays.
AKA: Jill
FRC #1022 (Archer GEeks)
Team Role: Leadership

Jill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to beholdJill1022 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Jill1022 Send a message via AIM to Jill1022

I found out this weekend that field reset might be too tiring of a job for me. But I really enjoyed it. I loved being up close next to the field, talking to teams, and being able to enjoy the competition without worrying about my robot.

I would like to be a ref next year. It seems like a lot of pressure and you'd get blamed for everything if a team is unhappy. But it seems fun.

I could never do mcing or announcing. I'm not able to process what six bots and six humans are doing at the same time and say it all without sounding weird.
I'd like to be a scorekeeper, that sounds good too.

But no matter what, I'm definately going to keep volunteering. Free food, free shirt, being close to the action, and making everything possible is the best.

Last edited by Jill1022 : 03-19-2006 at 05:01 PM.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed
I enjoyed doing field reset at IRI.
I want to do it again this year as well.
I consider that a volunteer ......
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: