OCCRA
Go to Post I've come to believe that the current alliance selection system is just like democracy. It's the worst system possible, aside from all the other ones. - DampRobot [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starve Them!

Mike A,

I agree with you on most things, but not this one. I have to take Lavery's side on this one. Having the auton winner go on defense is an incentive to win auton. If it were the other way around, we probably would not have focused on auton as much.

If you do not think you can win auton, then don't shoot. Get in position and rapid fire as soon as your offensive round starts. You will overcome much of the auton deficit. I agree that winning auton is a big advantage, but not just because of the 10 points. The bigger advantage is the 80 seconds of continuous offense and the transition game that has to happen in the last 40 seconds for the team that loses auton.

I like all the different strategies that are involved in this game, but my head hurts after every match due to the incredibly fast pace. This is the hardest game I have ever had to coach. Thankfully, my student drivers are a lot smarter than me and covered for me on several occasions.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 11:33 AM
AKA: Brian Roehl
FRC #1525 (Warbots)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2005
BrianR has a spectacular aura aboutBrianR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to BrianR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli
Mike A,
If you do not think you can win auton, then don't shoot. Get in position and rapid fire as soon as your offensive round starts. You will overcome much of the auton deficit. I agree that winning auton is a big advantage, but not just because of the 10 points. The bigger advantage is the 80 seconds of continuous offense and the transition game that has to happen in the last 40 seconds for the team that loses auton.
At Midwest, this is exactly what team 71 did in the last match of finals. They were against team 111, who has a vicious automode, which is nearly impossible to stop due to their turret, and were winning auto every time, while 71 was wasting balls, as they were less accurate in auto than in human control. Thus they tried the strategy of saving their balls to have a huge first round, but they ended up in trouble because after emptying their stores, they went back to human load, and were blocked, not pinned, into the corner, and never made it back across half court.

Its an interesting strategy, but I am of the opinion that you must win auto mode if you want to win the match.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Raul's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Somewhat Useful Person
no team (Formerly - Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Raul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mike A,
I like all the different strategies that are involved in this game, but my head hurts after every match due to the incredibly fast pace. This is the hardest game I have ever had to coach. Thankfully, my student drivers are a lot smarter than me and covered for me on several occasions.
Paul, I strongly agree with you on this point. I was mentally exhausted after the finals yesterday.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:

I also agree. It's very hard to tell exactly where and when the opposing alliance is going to hit you. This gave our team an incredibly hard time trying to find the right point in time during the match to stop accumulating balls and start scoring. Too early, and we wouldnt score as many as we'd like. Too late, and we would have about 30-40 balls in our robot and get pulverized with defense.

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:19 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaubry
Can't argue with that Jack!
Tough one to call though - I was told that high speed ramming is still high speed ramming - even in Auton

..Notice I didn't say ram them off their path to their shooting spot, ....
I think its safe to say that ramming happens when a moving bot hits a bot that is standing still. If two bots are racing to the same field position and they collide, then who rammed into who?

Nobody!

Shooters do not own the spot in front of their center goal. Both teams have the right to try to be the first robot in that controlling field position. If they collide on the way, then neither team should be penalized.

Now if you have a shooter that stays in its starting position and shoots from there, and a bot flys across the field and slams into it, THAT is ramming.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jones
Why is it that team defense amounts to hammering on the three point shooter, then leaving them alone to go get more ammo once they've shot their load?

I could see how pride would work to force the teams to score a point or three, but leaving those Howitzers to reload and score ten times that just does not make sense.

Ram (err - bump - depends on who, where, and when) them in autonomous, then stick to them like glue. At least a chance to win beats no chance at all!
This post needs no further support. Bravo! Far too many times have robots been allowed to waltz to the human player station to reload without any interference. IF THEY DON'T HAVE ANY TEETH, THEY CANNOT BITE!!!!

However, I prefer the get in front of them method to the bumping (never "ramming"!!!) method during autonomous, because if they have a turreted shooter, they can still compensate. If you're in front of them, in most cases, you still have a chance to block any shot they take. Pay close attention to where a robot stops in autonomous and compensate accordingly.

I'm sure the offender will also be keeping watch over the defenders and adjusting their autonomous routines to react to the blocking techniques - counter-countermeasures. I've seen some great adjustments during auton this season - makes the game more exciting!
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:31 PM
AKA: Matt
None #0703 (Team Pheonix)

Rookie Year: 1998
MattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jones
I guess you missed the part about ramming to force a draw in auto.
And don't pretend is doesn't happen because it's not allowed or isn't GP.
I've seen teams get hit so hard it broke their alliance partner
That strategy might work grat against some teams (maybe us for instance), but try it against 469 or 217 and you will get burned. Thier camera auto aim and turret mounted shooters make it nearly impossible to mess up thier autonomous.

Like Mike A said, You end up having to play a game of offensive catch-up.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:34 PM
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Lea103 is just really niceLea103 is just really niceLea103 is just really niceLea103 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Lea103

The 'ramming' method is a good strategy in working against robots who sit and shoot into the center goal. It cost our alliance, numerous times, the autonomous period. While my teammates and i dislike it, i dont necessarily see it as a bad thing. sometimes, theres no robot for them to ram into, instead they hit the sides at full speed and cause damage to themselves. its a gamble that teams have to be willing to take, these robots were supposed to be built with 'ramming' in mind. thus the opportunity to add bumpers. Also, one team at Annapolis that caused damage, went and worked with that team to fix it in time for their next qualifying. teams should just slow it down so they do minimal damage to themselves and other robots.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Raul's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Somewhat Useful Person
no team (Formerly - Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Raul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
I think its safe to say that ramming happens when a moving bot hits a bot that is standing still. If two bots are racing to the same field position and they collide, then who rammed into who?

Nobody!

Shooters do not own the spot in front of their center goal. Both teams have the right to try to be the first robot in that controlling field position. If they collide on the way, then neither team should be penalized.

Now if you have a shooter that stays in its starting position and shoots from there, and a bot flys across the field and slams into it, THAT is ramming.
I disagree Ken. If a robot is moving along in the "y" direction they have zero relative velocity in the "x" direction - right. So if another robot runs into them at high velocity traveling in the "x" direction, by your definition they are ramming.

Although, it really all boils down to what is considered "high velocity" by the referees. No ref will call ramming on a robot traveling about 5 feet/second or less. How much above that is considered ramming depends on the ref.

The head ref at MWR had a secondary definition for ramming. He said if you repeatedly hit a robot from the same direction 3 times in a short period (pull back and hit 3 times), he would also call that ramming. So he expected robots to hit 2 times and try another location the third time.

Sorry for getting off topic.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Former Coach (2005)
AKA: Scott Weingart
FRC #0293 (SPIKE)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of light

In one of our semifinal matches in Trenton against 25 we managed to neutralize them by constantly harassing them. (However, we were smoked by 103 and especially 1279)
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
FRC #0469

Don Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Don Wright Send a message via Yahoo to Don Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV1188
I must hijack this thread to congratulate you on your performance this weekend in Detroit. (Despite the fact that your 12-0 record meant you defeated 1188 3 times on Saturday. And how did that alliance in last round of qualifying come about, anyway?) Usually there are about 3 tiers of robots in a competition - the good, the average, and , not being mean but realistic, the "thanks for trying". 469 was a cut above, creating it's own tier.
Thank you for the compliments. We had a great weekend for sure. Our alliance partners were awesome and helped us finish the weekend with the win. It felt great especially after coming up a little short at GLR where we also went undefeated in qualifying, quarters, and semis, only to come up against two of the triplets in the finals giving us our only two losses of the season.

[Thread Content]

Dan, our lead strategist, came up with the requirements of our robot based on the same discussions we had concerning the game at the beginning of the season. We had to hold 30 balls, be very tough to move, have a turret to track the target, and have a good enough drivetrain to get out of a trapped position. I think our combination of maneuverability and speed in one mode and power in the other makes it difficult to trap us one-on-one. Then, if you put two robots on us, hopefully we have a partner like 217 that can also load up and get to shooting...
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Rich Ross
no team (The Rat Pack)
Team Role: Alumni

pakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to pakrat

I don't mean to call anyone out, but the triplets, 25 and 469 all seem to rely on that human loader a lot. I feel that if you can keep their robot at least 7 feet from the loader station, the HP wont be able to make enough shots. Granted, 469 can pick them off the ground. The triplets have accumulators, but they didnt seem to work amazingly to me (but at waterloo an upgrade maybe ) I know i've talked about this with my team, but keep those shooters at least 7 feet away is going to do wonders for your D
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Here's my take on autonomous first.
I LOVE IT! The high reward for winning autonomous, combined with the new closer positioning of robots (no longer all the way across the long dimension of the field) has led to some of the most exciting autonomous gameplay I have seen. In 2003, you would see some interaction between the two alliances in autonomous, but primarily that was just two robots running into eachother on top of the ramp. In 2004, some interaction would occur when teams would go for the yellow balls to release the ball dumps early, but for the most part this was rare and wouldn't impact the entire match very much. In 2005 interaction in autonomous was zilch, none, nada. But in 2006, with such a large emphasis on autonomous, it has become an exciting and highly strategic part of the match.
Many examples could be found during the peachtree elimination rounds. At the start of our QF matches, both alliances autonomous strategies essentially mirrored eachother. 116/1533 would run to the corner goals and dump 10 balls. 1139/34 would dead reckon the center goal and shoot. 1369/1242 would try and hit the shooters to keep them from making shots. Here's where it got interesting. 1369 expierienced some errors with their autonomous, so they just spun in a circle. Both 34 and 1139 were never 100% accurate (they would either hit almost all their shots, or none at all, depending on their dead reckoning positioning). The first match, both 116 and 1533 sucessfully dumped all 10 balls. 34 hit 3 shots into the center, giving the red alliance the win in autonomous. Red alliance would advance to win the match. Match #2, 34 would miss all of its shots. 116 dumped all 10 balls, but 1533 only made 9 out of 10, giving blue the win in auto, and the match. Fearing the same result, the red alliance switched 1242's and 34's role in the next match. BOTH robots went directly for their own corner goal to prevent 116 from sucessfully unloading (Unfortunately, 116's autonomous failed anyway because it's stupid coach forgot to plug the drive motors back in after using their timeout to make repairs to the drivetrain ). Red alliance won the match.
During the Peachtree finals another outstanding example appeared. The #1 Red alliance consisted of 1261, 1414, and 1057. During most of the eliminations 1414 had run to the corner goal, dumped 10, and 1261 had sat in position 2 and fired balls into the center goal. But, because they didnt move, 1261 was an especially vulnerable target to opposing defenses. In the finals 1057 began "intercepting" opposing robots who were trying to slam into 1261, giving the #1 alliance an even more impressive advantage during autonomous (and allowing them to win the Peachtree regional).

Now onto the "starving" topic:
Starving may well be become a very effective strategy at the Championship event, due to some of the potential devestating shooter combos that may arise. But at the regional level, it has not been necessary thusfar. A vast majority of shooters need to be reletively close to the front of the ramp to shoot accurately. Because of this a "zone" defensive scheme has allowed for singular robots to block multiple shooters (even all 3 if the shooters can't fire fast enough). Running interferance has helped this some, but often it has only contributed to further traffic and less ability to get positioned correctly in front of the ramp. The most effective counter-measure so far has seemed to be having a robot than can score lots of points quickly in the corner goal to force the defense away from the front of the ramp.
By making the shooters miss shots you not only prevent them from scoring points, you allow any herders on your alliance (and their's) to grab the balls. Most highly effective shooters has been primarily human loaded (the exceptions being bots like 1731 and 435), thus when trying to stop an alliance full of good shooters, it is often to your advantage when balls are "loose".
Additionally, because of the human loading shooters, their reloading time is often the best time to play defense on them. Because of the field set up, with the ramp and the edge of the field, teams can be blocked into the area immediately in front of the human player. Many shooters prefer this area to load up, and even if they don't they are often near it when they are loading so they can be pushed into it. You can then seal them into this are (not even needing to pin them).
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
I disagree Ken. If a robot is moving along in the "y" direction they have zero relative velocity in the "x" direction - right. So if another robot runs into them at high velocity traveling in the "x" direction, by your definition they are ramming.
uhmm.... What ?!?! there are no right of ways painted on the floor of the playfield.

If two cars both run the stop signs at a four way stop and collide, then who rammed who? who was at fault? they both were.

If two cars both try to merge into the same lane and collide, they are both at fault.

Its like playing chicken - if you are both heading for a collision and no-one flinches or backs off, you are both responsible for what happens next.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
AKA: Brian Rak
None #0230 (Gaelhawks)
Team Role: Programmer

devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2B
It would be a bigger bang for the buck if you DIDN'T shoot in auto mode. Why let the tiny computer aim and possibly miss a bunch when you could wait and let the human (with a superior organic computer) aim and hit with higher accuracy later on. And it's not so much the aiming, but the decision to fire. In auto mode, the robot doesn't know it's about to get pushed... but the human can see that and hold off on firing.
There's a couple solutions to this. One is to mount the gyro somewhere on your robot.. if you get pushed, it's angle will be off so you can stop shooting. (This is the easiest to do now, as the gyro+wiring weighs very, very little. It also doesn't require any hardware modifications)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDC
If the RC is mounted in such a way that field personnel must be contorted, bent, folded, spindled or mutilated in order to see the RC, then the RC must be relocated.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: