OCCRA
Go to Post ....FIRST helped me realize how much i enjoy engineering, so that i NEED to do well in my classes if i want to reach my goals. - the_short1 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2005, 04:15 PM
None #0935 (Railerobotics)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Eria4044 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eria4044
Re: Why are YOU involved in FIRST?

A friend of mine, who's a year older than me, was on the school's robotics team his freshman year. My freshman year (this year), he persuaded me into joining.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2005, 04:31 PM
call me court
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 1999
CourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond reputeCourtneyB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to CourtneyB

My sister was in it from 1998 (99ish) to 2002 and i would go to liek all comps and nats and i loved it. so i joined when i got in high school. i also like doing hand on things liek building and stuff. and you also meet alot of cool people and stuff
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

For solely selfish reasons that end up being noble.
I initially joined for the opportunity to do animation. Then I became hopelessly hooked on the program and it's my favorite hobby and it serves as an opportunity to inspire lots of kids in positive ways and is a great tool with the potential to light the way to wards the future for the African-American community where there were few.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2006, 06:09 PM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

While sitting at work yesterday I got to thinking, those of you who know me know that doesn't happen often, but I thought and thought about my high school experience.
Most of you knwo I am involved in to many things for my own good, and thinking back I looked at the many things that I am now an "alumni of" and most of them are organizations that I will never join again becuase they are only for high school students. Then I realized something.
I saw how amazing FIRST really is. Look around at these forums, look at the generations that span their pages, look at all the contacts you have met, and then see that you will meet them again. It isn't like Student council where you will see each other once every 5 years at some cheezy picnic in the back of your school, it is a community of people who you get to see multiple times a year. That's whats great, you are never an alumni of FIRST, you can always be there, mentoring, learning, creating.
So as the class of 2006 turns their team position from "student/driver/communications/etc." to "alumni" remember that you are just an alumni of your team for the time being.
I am still involved in FIRST, and I always will be, let's face it... FIRST Rocks!
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~

Last edited by KelliV : 06-28-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Someone hit submit while I was away from the post
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

Simple. It's all about the people.

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:08 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it started because of the robots. But now, it is all about the people you meet, the friends you make, the great times you have, the excitement of the competition, the adrenaline of the eliminations, the Dew to be drunk, the sights to be seen, and the general awesomeness of FIRST that keeps me involved. (In addition to the robots, of course. )

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
misses FIRST
AKA: HOT's first female operator
FRC #0067 (HOT- Heroes of Tomorrow)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1998
anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to anna~marie

(why not?)

I was more or less forced by my school to be involved in the FLL pilot. I enjoyed it and did it again for a few years.
During that time my brothers were on the HOT team and my dad was a mentor.
I guess I felt I had to when I got to high school.
I got pulled into OCCRA by one of my friends my freshman year, and robotics hasn't stopped since!
I just love it - the people, the experience, the learning, the thrill, the team... it's just amazing

#53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
FRC #0065 (Huskie Brigade)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Mike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant futureMike Shaul has a brilliant future

The same as a lot of other people!

I love to learn new things and to be involved in the student education process. It is an honor to be involved with the program and wish I had a team at my high school when I was younger.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Grafiximo Goddess
AKA: Dorothy
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)

Rookie Year: 2005
DevilChild will become famous soon enoughDevilChild will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to DevilChild Send a message via MSN to DevilChild

Quite honestly, I joined this year because last year, my freshman year, a couple of my friends were in it and they told me how much fun I would have if I joined. I didn't know I could still join then, but my sophomore year I joined and let me tell you, I've never been the same. FIRST is so wonderful, it embodies many personal beliefs of mine (such as the wonderfulness of gracious professionalism and the idea that kids today focus too much on pop culture). Also, it gave me the self confidence to show who I really am and not care what anyone thinks of me, because, after competitions and build season, I realized that people would still like me and I'd have a lot more fun if I would stop pretending to be quiet in school and just... be my crazy self. The feeling you get when you see 6 weeks of hard work, stress, and frustration pull together and become a working robot is the most amazing feeling I have ever felt. Pathetic as this may sound, one of my deepest wishes is that I had joined robotics last year, the program is that dear to me now.

Go to www.rvr87.org
... and sell your soul to Diablo

PVC=Love
FIRST=Life
"You know you're on the Graphics Team when your only Robotics-related injury is stabbing yourself with a button."
"It's Not All FIRST, FIRST, FIRST, you know." - http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan
Who do they think they're kidding?! Of course it is!!
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I haven't any bullets
AKA: NPC / Mercury Rising
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
Morgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Morgan Gillespie Send a message via Skype™ to Morgan Gillespie

My math teacher told me to
Plus I met a few people from our robotics team at LEGO camp.

OH I totally forgot in 2001 I was at the high school for one of my sisters shows and the robotics team we doing a demonstration.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
NJ 06, 07, 08 09 - UTC 07 -LV 06 - HI 08 - ATL CMP 06, 07, 08

Last edited by Morgan Gillespie : 06-29-2006 at 11:05 AM.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:09 AM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
Team Role: College Student

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

I joined because...my mom was friends with someone whose son is on the team, and he was talking to me about it one day. It seemed like an interesting thing to do. Also, in 2000, I participated in Invent America, which was held at our high school. They had our team do a presentation. I was amazed at the robot. I've always been a bit of an odd person, but after my first robotics meeting, I knew I'd fit in just fine with the other kids on the team.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I haven't any bullets
AKA: NPC / Mercury Rising
Team Role: Driver

Morgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond reputeMorgan Gillespie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Morgan Gillespie Send a message via Skype™ to Morgan Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtalanteStar25
I joined because...my mom was friends with someone whose son is on the team, and he was talking to me about it one day. It seemed like an interesting thing to do. Also, in 2000, I participated in Invent America, which was held at our high school. They had our team do a presentation. I was amazed at the robot. I've always been a bit of an odd person, but after my first robotics meeting, I knew I'd fit in just fine with the other kids on the team.
Thats where it was at invent America. I couldn't remember exactly where it was, I just assumed it was at one of my sisters plays because that was one of the only reasons I went to the high school.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
NJ 06, 07, 08 09 - UTC 07 -LV 06 - HI 08 - ATL CMP 06, 07, 08

#58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Do what you want with my bot, eh.
Team Role: Mentor

Kristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kristian Calhoun

I joined because... Alexa (AtalanteStar25)^, and my friend, Mike Ciance's little sister, wanted me to join with them. Also, I never really got interested in sports/played on a sports team, and the robotix team seemed suit my interests pefectly. And I've been hooked since.
All of the different people, the robots, the atmosphere of a FIRST competition, and all the things that can be learned, and just the overall experience - nothing compares to FIRST.

Kristian.Calhoun[at]gmail.com|@KristianCalhoun |Facebook

Last edited by Kristian Calhoun : 06-29-2006 at 11:36 AM.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
dream. belive. accomplish.
no team

Michelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I joined was kinda well a long processes. It started out in the middle of my sophmore year. My technical class teacher (i got to a tech school so we're in there 1/2 the day) was like "Who wants to join the robotics team". I wanted to but my mom didn't feel like driving me (tech school was 45 min from house..well still is but yeah). So my friends who did join eventually left that year but before they left they we're like "You should come aboard just to do the website". I still couldn't go. In the mean time I looked into what FIRST really was and started looking at other teams to get an idea for what I was in for.

Then my junior year came around and my ex was like "I'll drive you home from your first meeting" so that happend, and my mom has been driving me back and forth. And guess what...I do the website . So my orginal reason to be recruited has happend. I find it kinda cool.
JRW <3
Volunteering: IRI - Reset 07/08, Mission Mayhem 07 - Referee
TnT - Referee 07/08, FLL Florida State Tournament - Judge 08/09
Florida Regional 08 - Reset/Repair, Florida Regional 09/10 - Photographer
8 Events - Web Evaluator 08/09/10
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
3 Fs..... Fun Friends FIRST!!
AKA: Imad
FRC #0612

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant future

ehm ehm
To be friends with all the top minds and techy people, so i can create my base and RULE THE WORLD!

Every happy ending needs a bright beginning. That 'beginning' is FIRST for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: