OCCRA
Go to Post Unfortunately I think IFI made us buy a new one. Something about 200amps across the power connector not being a warranty item. - GeorgeTheEng [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady
I've got it figured out!!!

With christmas season well underway, I decided to look for a gift for my father yesterday at the malls around Manchester, NH. Having heard him exclaim "I want that!" after watching a commercial for the Black and Decker "Autowrench" I figured that it was a pretty cake present to get.

With this knowledge, I ventured out into the shopping haven that is South Willow street in Manchvegas. My first stop...Sears. As you know, Sears has always been an excelent place to find good tools pretty cheap, so I figured that they would be a slam dunk for the Autowrench. I searched high and low, and found absolutely nothing. Not even a trace of any sort of motorized wrench.

With this, I carried on to the next location...Wally World (Wal-Mart). Once again, upon arriving at Wally World, I found many different types of really cool Black and Decker tools. I even saw a motorized Seat Clamp (which I was drooling over immensely)...but yet again...no Autowrench.

Next stop...Target! AHA! They also have loads of motorized Black and Decker tools! Including...whats this?!?!...a place in the rack where the Autowrenches WERE. Excited at my finding, I went up to the clerk and asked her if they may have some in the back. She checked and found that the nearest Autowrench was about 45 minutes away in Nashua NH...and there were only a couple left.

Have no fear...there is a Lowes next door! I stop in, figuring that no one EVER goes to the Lowes in Bedford. Once again, evidence of Black and Decker tools, and evidence that the Autowrench was there at one time...but NOOOOO Autowrench. Upon talking to a clerk, he informed us that they had sold out a week ago, and that if we were lucky, we might be able to grab the last one about an hour away in Epping, NH.

Sadly...I gave up on my dream of getting my dad the perfect Christmas present...

Now...you may be asking...what the heck does this have to do with FIRST?

Well...this whole experience of driving around from spot to spot, looking for a particular item, finding evidence at every store with none of the item I am looking for in sight...it reminded me of something.

It reminded me of last January when i spent a whole sunday and a tank of gas looking for Poof Balls all around the state of New Hampshire.

Then...it hit me.

Kickoff is just a couple of weeks away!

Is it coincidence that, as the biggest date of game piece distribution of the year draws near, there are absolutely NO Autowrenches anywhere in sight?

Lets think about this logically for a minute...its a silly automated adjustable wrench! For 25 dollars less and the ability to wiggle your thumb, you can have a perfectly good adjustable wrench that DOESNT NEED BATTERIES! THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS MANY DADS OUT THERE WANT A BLACK AND DECKER AUTOWRENCH.

After realizing this and thinking about the evidence I have come to the conclusion that...

Ladies and gentleman, THE SECRET IS OUT! THE 2007 FEATURED GAME PIECE IS NONE OTHER THAN...

A BLACK AND DECKER AUTOWRENCH!!!!

You can't fool me Game Design Committee! I have been around wayyyy to long for you to slip this one past me. And now the people will know!

::ahem::

Happy Hollidays

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I've got it figured out!!!

Why use a COTS autowrench when you can build one yourself?
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Retired
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's because test markets showed that nobody wants one!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM
CraigHickman

This must be it! Quick! Assemble the CAD teams! Assemble the drive system guys! Lets design our entire robot around this!

I love it when Kickoff gets this close, because everyone in FIRST is so mind baked by Dave's clues, that we leap on anything we percieve to me remotely out of the ordinary. I did this yesterday, but it involved gotee trimmers, and sotres that carried said item around my hometown of Los Altos.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm, what if the game pieces were Playstation 3s....... Hey it could happen....
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Grady View Post
Ladies and gentleman, THE SECRET IS OUT! THE 2007 FEATURED GAME PIECE IS NONE OTHER THAN...

You can't fool me Game Design Committee! I have been around wayyyy to long for you to slip this one past me. And now the people will know!

Happy Hollidays
Well, this killed my own theory of using a Wii as a game piece, because I can't find one.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Please help feed the hungry.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Financial Engineer
no team (Robot Yacht Club)

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Matt View Post
Ok, seriously, it was somewhat funny when Greg did it, now it's getting really, really stupid. Seriously, three threads in one day?

Oh well, I guess I need to get the humbug outta me.....
Agreed, that leads me to my next point.

Next Feature request to Brandon:
An All-Hint Related (And that includes Hoaxes) Discussion Thread Blocker. I made one myself once, I called it a cardboard box, hopefully he could add a few more features to it, like CD-Media.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan View Post
Agreed, that leads me to my next point.

Next Feature request to Brandon:
An All-Hint Related (And that includes Hoaxes) Discussion Thread Blocker. I made one myself once, I called it a cardboard box, hopefully he could add a few more features to it, like CD-Media.
Ya know...they created the "RUMOR MILL" for a reason. If you see the that the post is from the Rumor Mill, and you dont feel like hearing little humorous things from time to time....then maybe you should just NOT READ the post. Reading a post on these boards is totally up to you.

What I was sharing are actual events which to many of us were kinda funny. I thought it was a good story to share with people on Delphi.

Apparently I was wrong.

I now see why I stopped posting so much here.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Andy - you may have gotten caught up in the middle of a whirlwind of activity today.
Your initial post is humorous and fun -the timing was a little strange - it came in the middle of 'false' hints and the CD community was on a wild roller coaster ride. I think it is settling down now.

Please continue to post in CD.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 12-20-2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: hopefully, better wording
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ya know...they created the "RUMOR MILL" for a reason. If you see the that the post is from the Rumor Mill, and you dont feel like hearing little humorous things from time to time....then maybe you should just NOT READ the post. Reading a post on these boards is totally up to you.

What I was sharing are actual events which to many of us were kinda funny. I thought it was a good story to share with people on Delphi.

Apparently I was wrong.

I now see why I stopped posting so much here.
Hey Andy, don't sweat it. I thought it was funny! If those other guys didn't get it, that is their problem.

-dave

p.s. however, I must caution against using my sense of humor as any sort of litmus test for good taste.

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Finally An Engineer
FRC #3280
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
JamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond repute

I reallly don't see how this falls into the same boat as Greg's, Greg went out and tricked people, very well I might add. No one, with more than a week of FIRST experience could have honestly saw the thread title and thought that Andy had legitimently figured out the entire game. Relax, enjoy the holidays and get ready for build season. I for one enjoy ridiculous speculation about what the game could be. If you don't then don't read any threads that come out between Atlanta and Kick off.

James

3594 (2011)
3280 (2010)
1665 (2009)
1350 (2008-2009)
1493 (2007-2008)
1568 (2005-2007)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM
no team ((no team))

Rookie Year: 2006
Éowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to beholdÉowyn is a splendid one to behold

Hey, I thought it was funny. After the "Official Game Hint" thread, I figured this was another joke. Nice, funny, relaxing bedtime story. What's a Autowrench look like, anyway?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:41 AM
You didn't see anything....
AKA: Adam
FRC #0501 (Power Knights)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Kingofl337

Funny, I heard from a very reliable source the official game piece was a Skip-It.

[BFIRST Team 146 Blue Lightning - Alumni[/b]
FIRST Team 40 Checkmate
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:21 AM
AKA: Jacob
FRC #0397 (Knight Riders)

jacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to jacob07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Éowyn View Post
Hey, I thought it was funny. After the "Official Game Hint" thread, I figured this was another joke. Nice, funny, relaxing bedtime story. What's a Autowrench look like, anyway?
An autowrench well at least the black and decker one (I'm not sure about other brands version of an autowrench) looks and even feels like a wrench. Get this, its adjustable. You hit a button and it moves to how big it should be.

Last edited by jacob07 : 12-21-2006 at 07:29 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM
AKA: Jacob
FRC #0397 (Knight Riders)

jacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to beholdjacob07 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to jacob07
Cool Re: I've got it figured out!!!

Quote:
With christmas season well underway, I decided to look for a gift for my father yesterday at the malls around Manchester, NH. Having heard him exclaim "I want that!" after watching a commercial for the Black and Decker "Autowrench" I figured that it was a pretty cake present to get.

With this knowledge, I ventured out into the shopping haven that is South Willow street in Manchvegas. My first stop...Sears. As you know, Sears has always been an excelent place to find good tools pretty cheap, so I figured that they would be a slam dunk for the Autowrench. I searched high and low, and found absolutely nothing. Not even a trace of any sort of motorized wrench.

With this, I carried on to the next location...Wally World (Wal-Mart). Once again, upon arriving at Wally World, I found many different types of really cool Black and Decker tools. I even saw a motorized Seat Clamp (which I was drooling over immensely)...but yet again...no Autowrench.

Next stop...Target! AHA! They also have loads of motorized Black and Decker tools! Including...whats this?!?!...a place in the rack where the Autowrenches WERE. Excited at my finding, I went up to the clerk and asked her if they may have some in the back. She checked and found that the nearest Autowrench was about 45 minutes away in Nashua NH...and there were only a couple left.

Have no fear...there is a Lowes next door! I stop in, figuring that no one EVER goes to the Lowes in Bedford. Once again, evidence of Black and Decker tools, and evidence that the Autowrench was there at one time...but NOOOOO Autowrench. Upon talking to a clerk, he informed us that they had sold out a week ago, and that if we were lucky, we might be able to grab the last one about an hour away in Epping, NH.

Sadly...I gave up on my dream of getting my dad the perfect Christmas present...

Now...you may be asking...what the heck does this have to do with FIRST?

Well...this whole experience of driving around from spot to spot, looking for a particular item, finding evidence at every store with none of the item I am looking for in sight...it reminded me of something.

It reminded me of last January when i spent a whole sunday and a tank of gas looking for Poof Balls all around the state of New Hampshire.

Then...it hit me.

Kickoff is just a couple of weeks away!

Is it coincidence that, as the biggest date of game piece distribution of the year draws near, there are absolutely NO Autowrenches anywhere in sight?

Lets think about this logically for a minute...its a silly automated adjustable wrench! For 25 dollars less and the ability to wiggle your thumb, you can have a perfectly good adjustable wrench that DOESNT NEED BATTERIES! THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS MANY DADS OUT THERE WANT A BLACK AND DECKER AUTOWRENCH.

After realizing this and thinking about the evidence I have come to the conclusion that...

Happy Hollidays
You gave up only after a couple stores. Some son you are

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: