OCCRA
Go to Post I bet if anyone took a look at the 118's Bill of Materials the only thing that would be on there is hard work and that's priceless. - rcmolloy [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Cash Prize or Not
Yes 22 14.38%
No 134 87.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
AKA: Fred Sayre
FRC #0488 (xbot)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Fred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant futureFred Sayre has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Fred Sayre
Re: FIRST $CASH$ prize...

There is a lot of issues associated with having cash prizes. I think maybe having the team get a free regional registration or something might be an interesting reward. I think many teams do really well and then disappear due to sponsor difficulties and lack of funding. I think however that there is more than enough motivation without having competition prizes for teams to perform well.

I also agree with Cory that there should be focus on getting students all of the existing available opportunities that are not always taken advantage of.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Dum Spiro, Spero
AKA: Shane O
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
TheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousKid

FIRST has the money....they make over a million each season...Their budget is listed on page 22
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotoriousKid View Post
Okay no refund...what about a refund for the national registration fee?
That is a lot of refund you are talking about.
I'm not sure the incentive?

Being a part of FIRST and playing with the big dogs is plenty of incentive.
(edit here: meaning - working alongside engineers and scientists in this program, as well as the other big dogs.)

When you start messin' with money, it brings in a lot of aspects and issues.
FIRST isn't rolling in the dough.

If any more incentive to win was needed, I would look in the direction of scholarships.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 01-11-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 2006
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

Quote:
Okay no cash prize...what about a refund for the national registration fee?

It is still money being handed back.

Money = NO.

Pavan.
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
i heart infrared
AKA: Neil Parikh
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
nparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nparikh Send a message via MSN to nparikh Send a message via Skype™ to nparikh

I personally disagree with giving out money, but I don't see an issue with giving out some kind of prizes. For example, the winners of the National Animation Award used to (it's unclear if they will this year) get a laptop & software from Autodesk as a reward(prize) for winning. Why not offer some kinds of other incentives--perhaps the opportunity to try out innovative products for next year, computers, or other gear to help teams.

It doesn't necessarily have to be money, but something in return wouldn't hurt--and it wouldn't spoil FIRST. Teams aren't going to cheat for something that isn't a cash prize--or so we'd like to think.

Team 25 Alumnus
Attending: NJ Regional, Boston Regional, the Championship Event
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Dum Spiro, Spero

TheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
That is a lot of refund you are talking about.
I'm not sure the incentive?

Being a part of FIRST and playing with the big dogs is plenty of incentive.

When you start messin' with money, it brings in a lot of aspects and issues.
FIRST isn't rolling in the dough.

If any more incentive to win was needed, I would look in the direction of scholarships.

The fee for nationals is about 5000 dollars...three teams, four at most win nationals...and FIRST compensates them with a refund.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
FIRST has the money....they make over a million each season...Their budget is listed on page 22
It's not an issue of having the money. Why waste up to $20,000 (alternate on the winning alliance) on something that would be bad for the program? This would encourage cheating. Gracious professionalism would be a sham. Nobody would help each other at the events, since that would lower their chances of winning.

If FIRST wanted to blow $20,000 on something, they could find tons of better ways to do so, that would actually have a benefit.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Dum Spiro, Spero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparikh View Post
I personally disagree with giving out money, but I don't see an issue with giving out some kind of prizes. For example, the winners of the National Animation Award used to (it's unclear if they will this year) get a laptop & software from Autodesk as a reward(prize) for winning. Why not offer some kinds of other incentives--perhaps the opportunity to try out innovative products for next year, computers, or other gear to help teams.

It doesn't necessarily have to be money, but something in return wouldn't hurt--and it wouldn't spoil FIRST. Teams aren't going to cheat for something that isn't a cash prize--or so we'd like to think.
...it doesnt even have to be money...but even without a refund people would cheat, not demonstrate gp, or everything ur grandma wants.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The fee for nationals is about 5000 dollars...three teams, four at most win nationals...and FIRST compensates them with a refund.
Again,
What about the Chairman's?
There would be worthy winners in every area.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's just the registration fee. What about robot shipping costs? FIRST package costs? Travel costs? Lodging costs?

I don't see the point in wanting to pay teams that win. A team should already want to win due to human nature. I personally think a large trophy and that warm, fuzzy feeling you get inside is a satisfactory prize for winning a competition.
Who knew silence could be so loud?
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
FRC #0056

robbekid is on a distinguished road

yea i dont think money is a part of FIRST or should be a part of FIRST, the way it stands now... money would be really against the top award FIRST offers.. Chairmans its all about helping others without any expectations and making the world better arounnd you, if theres money involved wats differentiating first from battlebots or some of the other competitions out there.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Who does't want a picture with Dean
AKA: Jevin Huffman
FRC #0306

Rookie Year: 2005
Jevin H is just really niceJevin H is just really niceJevin H is just really niceJevin H is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Jevin H Send a message via MSN to Jevin H Send a message via Yahoo to Jevin H

i say no cash but maybe a deduction from next years registration to keep teams in it
CAHS/CRT Alum-2008

Last edited by Jevin H : 01-11-2007 at 03:44 PM.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
FRC #0056

robbekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff_dragon View Post
i say no cash but maybe a deduction from next years registration
I guess this would fall under giving a team an unfair advantage for winning..
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

To simply put, no.

To complexly put, when you add money, you add corruption and greed. FIRST was never, and will never be, all about getting trophies or money. As stressed earlier, FIRST has always been about the learning experience involved, never about some piece of plastic or metal.

The money that gets payed into the kit and into signing up for other events isn't done to get into a competition, it's done to get the tools and assets to teach kids to be critical thinkers, have mentors work and spread their knowledge, and foster an environment of genuine success and feelings of accomplishment
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST is and always will be about inspiring students to be the best that they can be. Yes i will agree that possibly putting money into the equation will make kids want to be that much better. However you must weigh the positive and negaitve effects that having a monetary reward would have. Once you have thought about your opinion is sure to change.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: