OCCRA
Go to Post Roses are red Cyber is Blue With those sweet treads They simply cannot lose Team 234 - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:00 PM

Daru has a spectacular aura aboutDaru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Banebot 56mm gearbox - double D related

I have access to an EDM (actually, three), and I could look into making a whole bunch of these plates out of something super hard (haha... im not a metals expert here ) If someone had a CAD drawing, that would be great...

Just last night we had to burn threads into some stuff... the scrap we found was hard

~Dave
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Programmermechanicalelect ricalcoach
AKA: Dan
FRC #1480 (Robatos Locos)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
TubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that although the thought of our transmissions going out on us has me pretty worried, the collaborative effort I'm seeing to solve this problem is bringing a tear to my eye! sniff sniff.

Think about it, this is what FIRST is about! The whole stick a tube on a spider leg thing is just a distraction. This is all part of the master plan...(enter Twilight Zone music here)

Last edited by TubaMorg : 01-30-2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: I spell like a moron
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:54 PM
"Scale Electric Vehicle"
AKA: Shane Colton
FRC #0097
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
ZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond reputeZZII 527 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ZZII 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMorg View Post
I have to say that although the thought of our transmissions going out on us has me pretty worried, the collaborative effort I'm seeing to solve this problem is bringing a tear to my eye! sniff sniff.

Think about it, this is what FIRST is about! The whole stick a tube on a spider leg thing is just a distraction. This is all part of the master plan...(enter Twilight Zone music here)
My sentiments exactly (see my post in the BaneBots Return Policy thread and accept my word that I did not read yours first). This problem will be solved by one of the largest problem-solving machines in the world...the FIRST community.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Team Role: Engineer
AKA: Dr. Brooks
no team (WRRF)

Rookie Year: 2001
eugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond reputeeugenebrooks has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin is right about this. We have a heat treating furnace in our
shop that we have used to heat treat axles and shafts for several
seasons now. You soak the metal at a temperature above the transition
temperature to non-magnetic long enough for complete transformation
and then you quench, once, in oil or water as required by the material.
If you are not getting the metal above the temperature that ceases
to stick to a magnet, you are not doing much useful. We in fact use
a magnet on a soaked sample in the furnace to check that our
temperature meter is not off, we crank it up 25 degrees at a time
until the sample goes non-magnetic, and then give it another 50 degrees
for margin.

The shaft in the 56 mm transmission is already hardened. A high
speed steel cutter makes absolutely no progress on it. We learned
this when we attemped to turn a shaft into a square hole to mate to
a 4130 carrier plate that we made for a test of hardended material.
We ended up having to make a new shaft from 4130, and we will
heat treat the material tomorrow. If you heat the shaft from the
transmission you are likely to only temper it to a softer state.

Contrary to prior posts, water quench cools more quickly than oil
quench. Oil quench is dicated for some materials because water
cools too quickly and causes distortion. I would use oil for machined
parts that you do not want to risk distortion during quench. This part
is very thin. There is absolutely no need to water quench it. Oil will
cool it off quickly enough.

After a proper heat soak, and getting the part into the quench
before exposure to air cools the metal below the transition temperature
is really important, you have to temper. A temper at 800 degrees
is what we use on our axles. We do this in the furnace to get a
precise temperature, but they come out a dark blue and this is one
way you can tell what temper you have.

I don't know what the carrier plate in the bane bots tranny is made
of, so I don't know if it can be hardened. We made a carrier plate
and axle of 4130, with a square hole, and we will see what a proper
heat treatment of these parts gets us.

Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik View Post
About hardening, I don't think the 3 times repeating will get you a lot of extra depth, but I'm going off my one class a couple years ago, same as Dr. Joe. If you're not heating it high enough to transform the metal and break your previous hardening, then your hardening isn't going to work. If you are heating it hot enough, then you're breaking down the previous hardening. I suspect what you might be doing is a poor man's version of carburizing, building up a layer of carbon from the volatilized motor oil, then letting it soak in by heating up the part again.

At any rate, some brief googling gives me a little better info for those trying the homebrew hardening. The austenizing point is apparently slightly past where the metal stops being magnetic. So heat a bit past where a magnet won't stick to it anymore. I'm also curious if the carrier can withstand a water quench if anyone has a carrier they wouldn't mind possibly warping or cracking.

Last edited by eugenebrooks : 01-31-2007 at 02:12 AM.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 06:05 AM
AKA: Mr. P
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

cbpetrovic is a jewel in the roughcbpetrovic is a jewel in the roughcbpetrovic is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to cbpetrovic

Here are a couple of slides with a solution cooked up by one of our MEs...

C. B. Petrovic - Team 166
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 06:14 AM
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

cbpetrovic is a jewel in the roughcbpetrovic is a jewel in the roughcbpetrovic is a jewel in the rough

Dr. Joe...

When we reported the gross failure of one of the drive systems, we failed to mention that we pulled the other three gearboxes off and observed the same damage, although to a lesser degree.

Ron Reich, a new ME mentor on the team, had done the research and determined that the 4140 prehardened steel would provide double the resistance to stress that the original carrier plates can withstand.

We will be having new plates made and as soon as we get them, we'll report back on how well that works.

C. B. Petrovic - Team 166
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 06:22 AM
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
In the pictures of the failed plates, it looks like the shaft is not fully engaged with the plate. In addition to hardening the plate, it might be worthwhile to look into some type of mod to the shaft to get full engagement.
Jim,

Yes, you are right. When we first assembled the motors onto the gearboxes, we needed shims to get the spacing right. This was done in accordance with the message from Banebots. After making hasty repairs to the failed plate, we discovered that the .040 shim was not necessary, nor were any mods made to the spacer, pinion or CIM shaft.

After pulling the remaining 3 gearboxes apart, all of which had the .040 spacers, we found these to have similar wear/failure patterns. Reassembly no longer required the shims.

We should have used our heads and run them no-load for a period of time for break-in purposes.

Oh, well, add this one to the "lessons learned" list!

C. B. Petrovic
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 06:26 AM
FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Dana P. Henry
FRC #0839 (Rosie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rosiebotboss Send a message via Skype™ to Rosiebotboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiebotboss View Post
Joe,

What is the alloy of the carrier plate and that of the output shaft?

This info would help those that have access to a heat treat facility.

Thanks for your help in trying to remedy this problem.

The official reply form BB regarding the alloy. The emailwas in my InBox this morning after requesting the info yesterday:

Dear Dana P. Henry,
We are working with the manufacturer right now but we do not have the information as of yet. We apologize for the delay.

Sincere thanks,
BaneBots, LLC

So......we are still looking for the alloy information. To quote Dr. Joe, "Got lab?"
KPCB Entrepreneurship 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 13, 14
Rookie All Star and Top Rookie Seed 2002
CMP Inspector 05-14, LRI NE FIRST NU, District CMP
JTB 1944-2008 "What did you do with your dash?"
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
None #0612

jskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to behold

We routinely add an acceleration limiter to our motor control software to lower the maximum torque that is transferred to the drivetrain during rapid forward/reverse speed changes. This should reduce the instantaneous load on the problematic gearbox plate, but I don't know whether it will be enough to solve the problem.

I'll have the team dissect gearbox to see what damage we have sustained so far (~ 2 hours of driving).
-----------------------------------2007 - Chairman's Award - NASA/VCU ---| ---Finalist; Kleiner Perkins Award - Chesapeake
-----------------------------------2006 - Chairman's Award - Chesapeake ---| --- Engineering Inspiration Award - NASA/VCU --
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

I had a chance to read up on this issue last night and also talk to Joe this morning. I'm coming in late to this party, but am offering help or advice. Here are a couple of things I see...

1. Just how bad is this problem? What is the % of failure rate here?

2. What is the best fix? It's great to see that is what is focused on in this thread. Best means quickest and easiest for teams, not just the best exact design (for instance, the crossed-dowel fix is a nice design, but difficult to implement since the shaft is hard).

3. Specs for a fix are needed quickly. I'm very interested to see what would CB Petrovic comes up with the 4140 material solution. If I had to pick the "best" fix, that may be it... to re-create a bunch of plates out of 4140.

which brings us to this...

4. IF someone can get a fix (prints and a CAD file) done quickly, there could be ways to mass-produce new parts to get out to teams. I would suggest that a well-toleranced print be made, along with an acurrate CAD file (.stp version). Then, someone could go to http://www.mfg.com and post this as an RFQ. They could ask for quotes to be returned within 1-2 days, and finished parts to be required within one week. We at AndyMark have used www.mfg.com as a fabrication resource of multiple parts and have had good experiences 90% of the time. The bid could be awarded to multiple suppliers, each providing 1-2,000 parts. My guess would be that this part would cost anywhere between $8-$14 if someone was making 1,000 in this short lead time situation.

Once parts were made, boxes of them could be sent out to regions, and then teams could drive a couple of hours to get their part from a central location.

Andy B.

Last edited by Andy Baker : 01-31-2007 at 08:28 AM.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a plan.....

Some things to consider: The 12:1 and 16:1 output planet carriers are different, because the planet gears are a different size, so the pins are in a different location. Would the replacements be available for both the KOP 12:1 and the upgrade 16:1 transmissions? or would teams have to settle for using 12:1 only?

If you're not familiar with the transmission design, it is a two stage planetary, with a 4:1 first stage, and a 3:1 second stage. An upgrade 4:1 second stage is available from Banebots, and apparently some teams have decided to use it, and apparently it has the same problem with planet carrier plate failure under some conditions. The stages are mostly interchangeable, except that the pinion for the CIM motor is only made for the 4:1 stage (as far as I know), and also I believe it is the only one that will fit in the motor mounting end of the transmission.

Should the replacement plate be made significantly softer than the shaft, to act as a sacrificial part?

Would it include the planet gear pins, or would the teams have to press them out of the old plate, and into the new plate?

Is anyone going to consider the end play issue now, or wait until it causes problems in regionals?
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 08:44 AM
FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Dana P. Henry
FRC #0839 (Rosie Robotics)

Rosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rosiebotboss Send a message via Skype™ to Rosiebotboss

Thanks Andy for taking the high road in your posting.

For the "newbies" that are keeping up with this thread: this is what FIRST is about, a perfect example of gracious professionalism. Someone recognized a problem and posted it here. Instead of finger pointing (yes, there was some in the beginning but that quickly subsided), the dialog quickly turned to "Ok, what now? Let's come up with a solution." That posting mobilized an army of engineers, students, teachers and teams working together for the common good.

Back to Andy.....Andy, thank you for taking the high road here. You very easily could have said, "Hey, teams!! AndyMark has an alternative design here. We can provide......." You can guess what the rest of the sales pitch would be. But, no. Andy has offered a solution instead of a sales pitch. THAT is GP in action!!
KPCB Entrepreneurship 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 13, 14
Rookie All Star and Top Rookie Seed 2002
CMP Inspector 05-14, LRI NE FIRST NU, District CMP
JTB 1944-2008 "What did you do with your dash?"
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM
AKA: Joe McRae
FRC #1547 (Waldo)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jadium is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jadium

Hi,

I know this will not help all of the teams, but since we were already machining our own shafts for a direct drive application we decided to hex the end of the shaft and the carrier plates. The parts will be made by Thursday and will hopefully be tested out Thursday night for a couple hours. We will be making the plates out of 4140.

I don't have access to modeling software until Thursday, so the only drawing I can post is a quick sketch, I will also post the IGES files we sent out for machining. The files will only be useful for the carrier pin hole dimensions as we have a hex in the plate instead of the double d. Also please note that the dimensions in this file were calculated using the SINE Law by measuring the pin diameter and the outer dimension between two pins of the pentagon, so if anyone can double check the dimensions...

By Thursday I will be able to post some results of the the strength of the modified shaft and carrier plate and ensure that the parts as dimensioned on this sketch and in the IGES files mate into the existing transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quick drawing.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	4974  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 56mm Transmission Parts.zip (20.7 KB, 78 views)
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
snip
4. IF someone can get a fix (prints and a CAD file) done quickly, there could be ways to mass-produce new parts to get out to teams. I would suggest that a well-toleranced print be made, along with an acurrate CAD file (.stp version).
snip
Andy B.
Andy,
I will have a STEP file and associated print with tolerances made by one of the best engineers I know (he's a Delphi guy that I could never quite get involved in FIRST... ...maybe some day).

I am also getting the shaft drawn up in CAD too.

Here is my thought process. I am looking for options here. We don't really have a bound on the problem yet. I believe it is likely that an RC 23 carrier plate will be the solution for teams with 1-CIM. But there are teams that have counted on using the 2-CIM with 16:1 ratio. Also, hoping for a good test outcome is not a plan -- it is just a hope. So, I am looking for options in case the tests show that an RC23 carrier is not enough. In this case, there is no more we can do with the carrier alone because we will just push the failure to the shaft. So... ...I am starting to think about the next step in case we have to take that step.

2 questions for folks with the right knowledge base:
#1 should we make the joint square to increase the surface area (and thereby lower the stress)? I have found an 11/32" square broach (8.73mm). Going from a 9mm D to a 8.73mm square will lower the stress to 46% of the current value (an increase in the failure torque of 2.15 (50% of the reduction is from 4 sides taking torque rather than 2 and the extra 4% reduction is that by going to the smaller distance between the flats, you get a larger load surface).

#2 I am thinking that we should have a target hardness of RC 40. This is a Tensile yield of 180Ksi (1250 Mpa). Is this too brittle? I am thinking it is probably ok. My reasoning is that I know that Forkbolts for car door latches are hardened to RC30-38. If RC38 is good enough to take the impact loading from a car crash, I think that RC38 is not too far. It is a small step from 38 to 40. Please share your educated gut feelings with us (provided you have an educated gut).

Joe J
The best team you've never heard (yet)

Last edited by Joe Johnson : 01-31-2007 at 10:45 AM.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Jack of all trades...Master of none
AKA: Robert
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
Tazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud ofTazlikesrobots has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazlikesrobots
Thumbs up Re: Banebot 56mm gearbox - double D related

It is great to know that there great minds working on the solution. We are a team of very limited resources (financially and know how) and we rely heavily on the items provided in the KOP. The thought of a filed gearbox will most certainly means a pedal powered robot for us, but on board human players are now allowed Hopefully a solution will be found soon!

On behalf of our team, I want to say thanks in advance to everyone working on this problem! It is posts like this that give teams a "heads up", practical advice on a workaround or an alternate solution. This is just one of the reasons the FIRST community is in a class all its own.
2006 Rookie All-Star - Lone Star Regional
2007 Lone Star Regional Champions
2008 Quarter-finalist - Lone Star Regional
2009 Chairman's Award & Website Award - Dallas Regional
2009 Quarter-finalist - Dallas Regional
2010 - Xerox Creativity Award & Semi-finalist - Dallas Regional
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: