OCCRA
Go to Post I can't imagine Wildstang without tiedye... it just wouldn't be right. - Jeff Waegelin [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Team Mom
AKA: Wendy Austin
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
wendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond repute
Human Rack N Roll

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07168356363226

This is Team 1902 trying out our rack by playing with humans instead of robots.

We blindfolded 6 people as the robots and then had 6 others control them by voice. We had other people there for safety. This was to show the newest members of our team how hard it is to control a robot that can't see or think on its own. It was also a little lesson in strategy.

It was a hoot. Half the neighborhood ended up playing. Please note the two "robots" trying to earn the extra points at the end, and the one kid trying to tell the robot how to move by using gestures.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:44 PM
FRC #2135
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Arille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Arille
Re: Human Rack N Roll

It's like a huge game of pin-the-tail on the donkey.

Except this little donkey has 24 tails. Hmm.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)

Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

I like the concept of it. I, last year, thought it would be very easy to control the robot, but when driver auditions came out and we were all trying to pick the best people for the sticks I realized that it is actually much harder than it seems.
I think this way of introducing the game to the new members is one of the best yet and I would recommend it to my team, as well as other teams because not only is it fun but if you do it in the right place, you could have some new recruits in the future!
Also, were there any spoilers in your game by any chance?

Pavan.
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Looks cool...

... Wendy, didn't I warn you guys about letting barry video tape with his google camera? (I am assuming that's how it was taped).
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Team Mom

wendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it was James with Carolines camera. ;My husband has a better version, same day...different game with sound. Hes going to YouTube it tomorrow. Its Dan trying to score the extra points by climbing on top of a 6th grader.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Impossible to rain on my parade.

Rookie Year: 2003
Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack Send a message via Skype™ to Barry Bonzack

This was a very interesting way to simulate what we can expect to see during competition. I was able to show up after my team meeting, and after the 1065 car wash, so I caught the last couple games. What I came away with from the experience is trying to coach with looking at all of the ringers on the rack is not an easy task.

This game perfectly simulates what I expect during a normal match. Except the ringers were paper. And there wasn't much defense being played. And no one dropped a ringer. And none of the students broke down, tipped over, went berserk (well, not in this instance of hanging out with 1902), or had smoke poring out of their ears. Other than that, it was identical to what I expect...And climbing on top of each other was significantly quicker and more comical than I expect robots to be.

Jan 12, Emceeing at FTC at University High School
Jan 26, Emceeing FTC Pinellas League Championship Seminole High School in Tampa
Feb 2, Emceeing FTC Tesla League Championship at Cocoa Beach High School
Mar 2, Emceeing FTC State Championship at Embry Riddle Aeronautics University in Daytona
Mar 3, Volunteering for FLL State Championship at UCF in Orlando
Mar 7-9, Announcing FRC Orlando regional
Mar 29-30 Announcing FRC South Florida Regional
Apr 24-27 FTC World Championship in St. Louis
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Doug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Doug Leppard

We did have keepers and tryed to stay to the rules as much as possible. Everyone including the neighbors loved it. People learned the rules better.

For thee practice there was not much strategy, just getting the rings in place.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee

It looks like a blast.

We'll be doing something similar, see this thread...

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51935
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Team Mom

Heres the link to a different clip...with sound. Dan climbing as the top robot of 3 is worth the wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJoV_tpJ-M

Enjoy
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Always be shipping.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see a school nearby in the background - how on earth did you get it into the road?

All I can think of is "Game off...::move rack:: ::car drives by:: ::move rack::....Game on!"
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Chopsaw??
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2005
James1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond reputeJames1902 has a reputation beyond repute

acctually the road we used was right out side my house and it was a gaint U so we block on end so no cars came by. But that didn't stop pleanty of people from asking alot of questions
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Team Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher View Post
I don't see a school nearby in the background - how on earth did you get it into the road?

All I can think of is "Game off...::move rack:: ::car drives by:: ::move rack::....Game on!"

We don't build at a school We are a 4-H team. Our workshop is Dans garage, and we meet and do computer work in my living room. Dan and I live two houses apart. We asked the neighbors if we could block the road before we did it. We had the rack out for a couple of hours. They are getting used to us doing odd things during build season.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM
AKA: Kate
FRC #0619 (Charlottesville Albermarle Robotics)

BlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to beholdBlondeNerd is a splendid one to behold

That looks like tons of fun! I am so jealous of you guys wearing shorts while it is 25 degrees here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: