Go to Post You should qualify the same way you eliminate if you ask me. - sircedric4 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey
A moral question...

So It's the final match of the regional you are attending, and your team going to nationals depends on winning this match. One of your alliance partners (team A) is already headed to Nationals, and the other team on your alliance (B) needs this win to go just like you do.

The last 30 seconds come around, but the score is 2 points in the opposing alliance's favor. The opposing alliance's ramp bot suffers a pneumatic failure, and can't lift their bots at all. 20 second left. You're jumping for joy, and you start screaming at your alliance partners to head back and get on your lift... Team B loads up fine, but team A refuses to come back. At 10 seconds team A starts to come back, and get halfway on your lift... when for whatever reason, they get stuck. Their robot is located such that if you engage the lift; it will probably catapult their bot into the air, causing them to land on their arm/manipulator and ruining it beyond what can be fixed during a fix-it window. If you don't raise the lift... you lose the regional, and both you and team B can't go to Nationals.

One second left. What do you do?

Last edited by Cody Carey : 02-20-2007 at 04:06 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Mentor - Awards/Scouting
AKA: Dan
FRC #3467 (The Windham Windup)
Team Role: Mentor

Dantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Dantvman27
Re: A moral question...

tough call, but i'd probally deploy it in the heat of the moment, and then try to help the team fix it at all costs

Out of retirement and with a new team!
Formerly of FRC241 now mentor with FRC3467
Teaches strategy, presentation skills, awards management, and FIRST history
Holder of a BA in Theatre

FLL Student: 2003-2005 FRC Student: 2005-2009 FRC Mentor: 2010-2011 (241) 2014-? (3467)

RIP FRC Team 241

2010 UTC Regional Imagery Award Winners
2014 UNH District Chairman's Award
2014 Northeastern District Engineering Inspiration Award

ASTROMAN!
www.nhtechfest.org
twitter.com/nhtechfest
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

NOT an easy decision...but if I were the coach for team A I would tell the lifting team to go without much thought.

Robots can be fixed, glory is forever

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists (3rd seed), Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists (2nd seed), Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists (2nd Seed), IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists (2nd seed), Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners (1st seed), Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award
2014 Northeastern University District Winners Undefeated 18-0 (1st seed), Industrial Design Award
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Xenozero
AKA: The inovator
FRC #1230 (Lehman Lionics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Xenozero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Xenozero

wow, what a situation, im pretty shure that alliance b would have yelled at you to delpoy the ramp and in all fairness, it was a two to one vote. plus, fixing it in the end would be fun! 3 teams working on a robot is much better then one.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)
Team Role: Mechanical

John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

deploy it! We don't build robots for them to look pretty. I am pretty sure that the other team would like to get a gold too. Granted that's not what all this is about, but still, they have the whole practice day of the nationals.

-John
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let me put it to you this way. We are going to Atlanta for the first time ever and I know for a fact that we would go for the win. As Paul, one of our "lifelong" mentors on 1504 has said in the past, we go out to win every match. You take the chance and worry about the consequences later. Team A probably wants to win the regional too!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Back in the Game
AKA: Ed Venator
FRC #2399

Rookie Year: 2005
FourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud of

A fall from a ramp deploying probably wouldn't total a robot (not one that could make it to finals anyway,) but if the situation were to arise, I would say deploy. If you don't deploy, two teams lose out. If you do, odds are you can fix the robot, at least to a point that it can compete in Atlanta. Even if it doesn't regain full capabilities, championships is a great experience regardless of your performance.
-2007 New York Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
-2008 New Jersey Regional Finalist, Chesapeake Regional Winner, Championship Event Overall Top Seed
HB 2399
-2009 Buckeye Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, Pittsburgh Regional GM Industrial Design Award
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

If it was my robot that was getting broken, I'd say go for the win. There's always a way to fix a robot (not necessarily fully, but it can be fixed).

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
no team

Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Lift it. Fix the bot later. It's also fun.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Mentor - Awards/Scouting
AKA: Dan
FRC #3467 (The Windham Windup)

Dantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really niceDantvman27 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Dantvman27

i doubt you would have time, or the right emotional state to make the call

Out of retirement and with a new team!
Formerly of FRC241 now mentor with FRC3467
Teaches strategy, presentation skills, awards management, and FIRST history
Holder of a BA in Theatre

FLL Student: 2003-2005 FRC Student: 2005-2009 FRC Mentor: 2010-2011 (241) 2014-? (3467)

RIP FRC Team 241

2010 UTC Regional Imagery Award Winners
2014 UNH District Chairman's Award
2014 Northeastern District Engineering Inspiration Award

ASTROMAN!
www.nhtechfest.org
twitter.com/nhtechfest
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

lift, no question in my mind. the team will have some time at the regional before they go into the crate and all day thursday at the championships to fix/ build another arm. There are multiple examples of teams building robots in 1 day due to shipping mishap so I am sure that with the support of all the teams at the championship they will have no problems fixing the robot.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey

I think I gave to much background in the scenario... If you are in the heat of the moment... you probably will only be thinking "Crap, they aren't on... I hope the lift still works" as you flip the switch. Or at least, that is what I would do.`1

My original situation was supposed to be that you couldn't fix the robot in the amount of time given at all... not even a little bit. But now that I think about, with three teams working together, you could probably build a brand new robot in a short amount of time. I guess thats just part of FIRST
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM
#include coffee.h
FRC #1745 (P51- Mustangs)

Stuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stuart

ok here is how it works on my team. Im a nice guy. Im smart, good looking, a sharp dresser, kind, and most of all modest. but when Im out on the field as a coach most of those go away(I still like to think Im nice). I will tell my drive team to do what it takes to pull off a win(with in GP), or atleast a good finish. The rest of the team knows that at the end of any match they may have to rebuild a robot.

so as far as this is concerned I would not hesitate to tell my driver to lift the ramp, while at the same time tell the coach of the other team that were going to win this and by the time you get the robot back to the pit there will be at least 10 pairs of hands to fix anything thats broke, we will even help you fix it at nationals if it comes to that(btw there is nothing that you cant fix in a fix it window with enough PVC and a heat gun).

edit. P.S. this may seem a little more cutthroat than I am. the line I draw on GP is would I think it was right if a robot did that to my robot so no pinning or destructive defensive play.
Proud mentor of Team #1745 the P-51 Mustangs

If at first it doesn't work, use a hammer.
If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.

Last edited by Stuart : 02-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Linux User: 390661
AKA: Alex
FRC #0422

Cuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cuog Send a message via Skype™ to Cuog

With that scenario, I would not be able to consider whether or not the robot would likely get damaged. Being damaged is one of the risks of the lift sadly, by trying to get up the design the other team took that risk on willingly, so I would lift the ramp and hope for the best, and of course with anything in FIRST a finish like that would lead to too many people willing to help fix it.

Join us in FIRSTchat
IRC: irc.freenode.net #firstchat
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Project Manager, Mentor
FRC #1391

Rookie Year: 2001
Steve Compton is a name known to allSteve Compton is a name known to allSteve Compton is a name known to allSteve Compton is a name known to allSteve Compton is a name known to allSteve Compton is a name known to all

If you're Team 1394, you can lift the first robot and leave the second one alone because you've got modular, independent and free riding lifts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: