OCCRA
Go to Post There's "FIRST the organization" and then there's "FIRST the vision for the future through a set of ideals". I've grown somewhat skeptical of the former in recent years, but, after 10 years, I'd still throw myself in front of a bus for the latter. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:11 PM
1056/2024 alum. 368 mentor
AKA: aMbIe
FRC #0368 (Team Kika Mana)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
ambie_o7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ambie_o7 Send a message via MSN to ambie_o7
SVR robot strategy

im not sure how many people are dorks like me and still read chief delphi after build season, but i was wondering what the build strategies are from the silicon valley regional, and what capabilities bots in this regional have... Our team can lift 2 bots 12" off the ground and we put tubes on all 3 levels... what about your team?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Pocket Full of Tools
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Gabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SVR robot strategy

*AHEM* We are not dorks, we are simply having fun on a great site.
As for strategy: top, bottom, and middle ringers, two robots 12" off ground.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Programmermechanicalelect ricalcoach
AKA: Dan
FRC #1480 (Robatos Locos)

Rookie Year: 2005
TubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, people are active on this site year round so welcome to the addiction! Strategy wise we are planning on trying to score more points than the other guys and see how that works out.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Breathe in... Breathe out...
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2002
Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

We score bottom, middle and top and have a drive train capable of climbing ramps. We'll be even better at scoring once we get our two cameras fully functional at Portland so we can autonomously score in the autonomous mode as well as the following 2 minutes. We also despoil like no other. Can't wait to see everyone there!
2012-2013 - Team 1662 - Lead Mentor, Coach
2013-20?? - Team 1678 - Mentor, Coach
**Like Us On Facebook!**
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM
run the trap!!!
FRC #0100 (The Wild Hat Society)
Team Role: Human Player

=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute

-6+ tubes on any part of the rack
-capable of removing spoilers

This is my realistic assessment of my teams robot, and I honestly believe that we will be able to do this consistently every match.

We are also likely to score in autonomous, but I can't say for sure how reliable we will be.

Our robot is built to score tubes, and only tubes, and it does this very reliably.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2007, 12:28 AM
AKA: formerly sumadin
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Guy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Guy Davidson Send a message via AIM to Guy Davidson Send a message via MSN to Guy Davidson

Probably score in autonmous.
Score and unspoil on all three rungers.
Pick up from both ground and human loader.
Should be able to get on ramps, and has no ramps of its own.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the #1 strategy for 99% of teams at SVR each year was either to
  1. Ally with 254 to ensure as automatic a victory as you can find in FIRST.
  2. Try to unseat the regional king.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2007, 12:16 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
razor95kds has a spectacular aura aboutrazor95kds has a spectacular aura aboutrazor95kds has a spectacular aura about

score on all the spiders with ease. great drivetrain to climb ramps and to dominate pushing matches for defense. auto will be deploying our robot's tower (has to snap forward and lock in place).
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:17 AM
FRC #2135
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Arille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to beholdArille is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Arille

*Sigh*... so many teams are capable of doing so many things (and I am amazed and impressed, I salute you all). But when it comes down to my team, I should just say the honest truth now: Team 2135 puts ringers only on the bottom legs, no ramp.

Now, there was some reasoning behind this design, some of them being:

1) We figured that there are two types of robots on the field: 'bots with ramps, and 'bots that need to go up those ramps. From all of the 'bot designs we were seeing on CD, a lot of bots already plan on having ramps. Especially since this is our rookie year, we should try tackling one problem at a time (the ringers). Once we find a solution for that and if we have time, sure let's attempt a ramp. (But due to time constraints, we weren't even able to touch that. But all is still fine.)

2) Why only the bottom? We ran into weight and mechanical problems trying to do other level legs around end of week 5, so we figured that we would settle with what we have. "Do one thing, and do that one thing very well."

3) Other reasoning, but its past 12AM and I should really be working on my Civics project thats due tomorrow. Haha.

The past 6 weeks were all learning experiences for us, and we really were just learning the foundations for building a basic 'bot. Initially, 2135 was an all-girls rookie team that couldn't even define what a chassis was; and lo and behold! 6 weeks later we build one. Honestly, even if our 'bot just drove around and did nothing but that, we would still be proud of whatever we accomplished. Now that we know the fundamentals for surviving in this competition, maybe next year we can step up our game a little more.

Find 2135 at SVR and ask for the rest of the reasons, if you really insist on doing so.

Silicon Valley Regional 2007 Rookie Inspiration Award!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arille View Post
1) We figured that there are two types of robots on the field: 'bots with ramps, and 'bots that need to go up those ramps. From all of the 'bot designs we were seeing on CD, a lot of bots already plan on having ramps. Especially since this is our rookie year, we should try tackling one problem at a time (the ringers). Once we find a solution for that and if we have time, sure let's attempt a ramp. (But due to time constraints, we weren't even able to touch that. But all is still fine.)

2) Why only the bottom? We ran into weight and mechanical problems trying to do other level legs around end of week 5, so we figured that we would settle with what we have. "Do one thing, and do that one thing very well."
There's no reason to sigh at all. Too many teams fail year after to year, because they don't follow the reasoning you just outlined. Many veteran teams, still continue to bite off more than they can chew. Very few teams end up being able to do everything really well. Teams who specialize and focus on being very good at one aspect of the game, tend to outshine those who are mediocre at many aspects.

Quote:
"Do one thing, and do that one thing very well."
I'm quoting this again, because it's so important. In your team's rookie year, you've figured something out that some teams never do. This is one of the best pieces of advice I can give to teams. I salute you and your team. Good luck this season!
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: