OCCRA
Go to Post If an alternate is used, all four teams are equal members of the alliance. (Trophies, trips, bling, book tours, custody of the children etc.) - Btower [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Ledge
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
falconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond reputefalconmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to falconmaster
pic: We left the boys at home

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: We left the boys at home

I would really like to know how your team decided to do this. Was it by vote?
And what did everyone learn?
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Typer of doom
AKA: Chris McKenzie
FRC #2186 (Westfield Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
ChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ChrisMcK2186

Thats cool that you have enough girls on the team to do something like that. If we did that, we wouldn't have enough for drivers and human players.

Chris

Stephen Colbert-"Please tell me this leads to robot
battles."
Dean Kamen-"It does lead to kids building robots, and they do compete in the sport but we also teach the kids gracious proffesionalism, so while the robots are competing, they do it in a very, very gracious way."

Darn, I got into this for the battles!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme

I don't mean to muck up the forum... But to me, this seems kind of sexist...

Telling boys that they can't compete is just as bad as telling girls that they can't compete. To me, this just simply seems wrong.

Unless of course your team was from an all-girls school, in which case, only students from your school have an opportunity to participate. This would make sense to me.

Not meaning to start a war,
Jacob
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The guys graciously let the girls go to the San Diego Regionals alone giving the girls the chance to do all the aspects of a regional event. After the event the girls went to Mission Beach. Most of them have never seen the ocean. Needless to say, they learned a lot while iproving the bot for the co-ed team for when they compete next in Las Vegas.
The title is a joke. The boys stayed home by their own will and the girls went alone.

No need to get upset.

If you click on the picture above, it brings you to where the picture is on CD media. Under the picture there you can see what was typed above. That blurb should probably be posted with the picture in threads of forums in the future.
Who knew silence could be so loud?

Last edited by InfernoX14 : 04-03-2007 at 08:10 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Onward through the fog.

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I would still like to know how they all decided that together as team.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 04-03-2007 at 08:23 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0177 (bobcats)

Rookie Year: 2006
AV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytheheckme View Post
I don't mean to muck up the forum... But to me, this seems kind of sexist...

Telling boys that they can't compete is just as bad as telling girls that they can't compete. To me, this just simply seems wrong.

Unless of course your team was from an all-girls school, in which case, only students from your school have an opportunity to participate. This would make sense to me.

Not meaning to start a war,
Jacob
While it may seem sexist I think it i a very good thing for the team to do. It gives the girls a chance to try new things and do jobs that are not what they may be used to. She also said that the boys and girls will be there to compete at the other events so its not like they arn't getting a turn.

Next event attending: Kickoff 08- Manchester NH With TBA
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Onward through the fog.

I guess the word, generosity, comes to my mind. Or adventure.
'Let's try this' kind of thing. Everyone always wants to travel, to go to the regional or competition. So this, to me, is like thinking outside of the box and then going with it. If that makes sense..

~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
no team

whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoX14 View Post
The title is a joke. The boys stayed home by their own will and the girls went alone.

No need to get upset.

If you click on the picture above, it brings you to where the picture is on CD media. Under the picture there you can see what was typed above. That blurb should probably be posted with the picture in threads of forums in the future.
I read this before I posted, but I still, again, personally, disagree. If every boy on the team had said that they were OK not going except for 1, would they have let him go? (I don't know the answer to this question. Again, I am jumping in in the middle, but it seems odd that ALL of the boys on a team would give up their spot. But that's just me and my opinion. I am sure that others disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_guy007 View Post
While it may seem sexist I think it i a very good thing for the team to do. It gives the girls a chance to try new things and do jobs that are not what they may be used to. She also said that the boys and girls will be there to compete at the other events so its not like they arn't getting a turn.
This is assuming that it would not be *allowed* for girls to do certain jobs on the team. I know that I would be quite angry if I couldn't go to 1/3 events, simply to let someone else have a shot at MY job, just because they are of a different gender.

I hate to be a nuisance, but I really don't like discrimination, as I have been a victim of it in the past, on several accounts.

Jacob
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
FRC #0177 (bobcats)

AV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud ofAV_guy007 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know that I would be quite angry if I couldn't go to 1/3 events, simply to let someone else have a shot at MY job, just because they are of a different gender.
Jacob
I would gladly give up my job for someone else if they were enthusiastic about doing it. Its not "MY" job its the teams job, everyone is entitled to try it if its what they desire. I don't think it is the spirit of first to limit someone from doing something they want just because you think it belongs to you.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_guy007 View Post
I would gladly give up my job for someone else if they were enthusiastic about doing it. Its not "MY" job its the teams job, everyone is entitled to try it if its what they desire. I don't think it is the spirit of first to limit someone from doing something they want just because you think it belongs to you.
I suppose so, but, say, for instance, Myself and another student (a male) programmed the robot. Lets say that no girls on my team showed interest in programming before, but now at the competition, a girl takes my seat on the plane. If she isn't qualified to program (or even knows how), what happens if the program needs to be modified? I personally belive that a seat should be won on merrit, not entitlement.

Jacob
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:43 PM
That's Madam President, actually
AKA: Sarah
FRC #1539 (Blue Eagle Robotics)

Nin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really nice

i think that is a really cool idea, to have just the girls go somewhere. unfortunately, my team has four girls, but maybe sometime in the future we will have enough.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:56 PM
FRC #0177 (bobcats)

Quote:
I suppose so, but, say, for instance, Myself and another student (a male) programmed the robot. Lets say that no girls on my team showed interest in programming before, but now at the competition, a girl takes my seat on the plane. If she isn't qualified to program (or even knows how), what happens if the program needs to be modified? I personally belive that a seat should be won on merrit, not entitlement.

Jacob
The team probably chose to do this in advance.In the time period between the decision and the trip is when it is your job to show the person or people interesed in your job how and what to do. FIRST is about teaching, learning and passing on knowledge. I think this i a great way to do it.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST is like pizza--you and I might prefer different toppings, but there's no wrong way to do it.

If 842 feels that they can get their $4,000 worth by fielding an all-girls team for one of their regionals, I'm more than willing to let them. Perhaps there's some benefit to going this route that we're all missing.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
believes in robots
AKA: Pika1579
FRC #3940

Liz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Liz Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
FIRST is like pizza--you and I might prefer different toppings, but there's no wrong way to do it.

If 842 feels that they can get their $4,000 worth by fielding an all-girls team for one of their regionals, I'm more than willing to let them. Perhaps there's some benefit to going this route that we're all missing.
I know that some schools are going that route. My old high school now has an all girls team(1929) in addition to their Co-ed team (555) which also has girls on it. Both teams show support for each other. I believe this year the Sciborgs(1155) from NY also did the same thing and support their all girl team the FeMaidens(2265).
Applications Engineer
AndyMark, Inc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: