OCCRA
Go to Post See what you don't understand about us students is that we don't know when to stop. - ehfeinberg [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
It's Championship, Not Nationals

It's been 7 years since it's been called Nationals, so people, please stop calling it that. There are many international teams, both in FRC, FLL, JFLL, and FVC, and calling the competition Nationals instead of the proper title, Championship, ignores those teams and their achievements. Calling it Nationals doesn't make you old skool or anything; it makes you look lazy and frankly somewhat ignorant.

Please, it's Championship. The sub-forum is labeled it, FIRST hasn't called it that in many years, and teams from all over the world attend the event, it's not a "national" event in any stretch of the imagination.

*gets off soap box*

Last edited by Joe Matt : 04-08-2007 at 04:26 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: It's No Longer Nationals...

Someone should tell Dean.

He still calls it Nationals
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
dream. belive. accomplish.
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Michelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's No Longer Nationals...

I've only been in FIRST for 2 years (second season so not a full two years), and when I was first told about the event it was introduced to me as "Nationals".
I'M GOING TO NATIONALS WOO
You're always going to have the veterans that say it out of habit, and that will influence the younger generation to call it that also.
I'M GOING TO CHAMPIONSHIP WOO
I have recently gotten into the habit of calling it "ATL" but I also tend to call it everything, ATL, Champs, CMP, Championship, and Nationals.
I'M GOING TO ATL WOO
JRW <3
Volunteering: IRI - Reset 07/08, Mission Mayhem 07 - Referee
TnT - Referee 07/08, FLL Florida State Tournament - Judge 08/09
Florida Regional 08 - Reset/Repair, Florida Regional 09/10 - Photographer
8 Events - Web Evaluator 08/09/10
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:33 PM
AKA: Chris
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
burkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to burkechrs1
Re: It's Championship, Not Nationals

Yea Dean still calls it nationals. He called it that at SVR. So as far as I'm concerned if the guy that runs the show calls it nationals it must be OK.

And besides why did you start a thread on this. It's..... pointless.
2007: Quarter-Finalists - SVR

uber w00t!

See ya'll at the Championships!

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the problem with "The Championship" vs. "Nationals" stems from the words themselves. "The Championship" requires a "the", because saying "I am going to the Championship" is the only way to say it that makes sense. "I am going to Nationals" is shorter and more flexible. Furthermore, "nats" is a much easier abbreviation than "champs", especially in oral communication.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM
dream. belive. accomplish.
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Michelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkechrs1 View Post
Yea Dean still calls it nationals. He called it that at SVR. So as far as I'm concerned if the guy that runs the show calls it nationals it must be OK.
Just because Dean is the FOUNDER of FIRST doesn't mean he runs the whole event. No single person can run the whole event. And just because one VERY important individual states something, doesn't necessarily mean that it is the correct way to continue.
Quote:
I feel that Joe started this thread to try and spread awareness that "The Championship" is the more (and I use this lightly) "Politically Correct" term for the event. You have to keep in mind that there are teams from all over the world attending this event, not just teams from The United States, while FVC and FLL bring in more foreign teams than FRC, FRC still brings in teams from Canada, The UK, Brazil, Isreal, Mexico and The Netherlands.
JRW <3
Volunteering: IRI - Reset 07/08, Mission Mayhem 07 - Referee
TnT - Referee 07/08, FLL Florida State Tournament - Judge 08/09
Florida Regional 08 - Reset/Repair, Florida Regional 09/10 - Photographer
8 Events - Web Evaluator 08/09/10
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Marra View Post
Part of the problem with "The Championship" vs. "Nationals" stems from the words themselves. "The Championship" requires a "the", because saying "I am going to the Championship" is the only way to say it that makes sense. "I am going to Nationals" is shorter and more flexible. Furthermore, "nats" is a much easier abbreviation than "champs", especially in oral communication.

How about calling it "Internationals"? I'm going to Internats - yeah!

Or simply call it, "The Event".
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 04-08-2007 at 04:45 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
meE wEr HeER
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2007
raymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to beholdraymaniac is a splendid one to behold

I think that as long as everyone knows what you're talking about, which they typically do, either one is fine.

Technically you're right, but it's a minor detail and it's still the same event.

Now if there were to be national compititions in adition to the championship, that would be a different story...

Everyone have fun at the regionals Atlanta. Or else...
Vote for 116's animation!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

It should be called "The World Championship Event" not "The Championship Event". In my opinion the latter does not sound as impressive as "Nationals" when conversing with someone outside of FIRST. The championship event of what? Your county? State? etc.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:44 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I call it "The World Championship" It sounds most impressive when we talk to potential sponsors.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:

Joe started this thread for people like you who don't know that using the proper name is important. It's only pointless if you refuse to acknowledge that the Championship isn't named "Nationals" anymore.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)
Team Role: Mentor

The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
Or simply call it, "The Event".
How bout "The Show" (Okay, Baseball season just started, I know I'm not the only fan)

Maybe if we get a good nickname to stick, everyone (myself included) will stop calling it "nats" in a couple years.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
FRC #0204
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It should be called "The World Championship Event" not "The Championship Event". In my opinion the latter does not sound as impressive as "Nationals" when conversing with someone outside of FIRST. The championship event of what? Your county? State? etc.
Yep, I am totally agreeing with the above statement because we have international teams coming from around the world and I feel that its a disrespect to not recognize all the achievements and accomplishments of these FRC,FLL,JFLL,and FVC teams.

Quote:
I call it "The World Championship" It sounds most impressive when we talk to potential sponsors.
Also agree with this statement! It sounds more professional when talking to potential sponsors and trying to raise money for this prestigious event.

Last edited by Freddy Schurr : 04-08-2007 at 04:56 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Rookie Year: 2002
Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

The Championship, The Championship Event, The World Championship, The international Championship, Internationals, Champs, Nationals, Nat's, ATL...

I just call it the best time of my life.

Joe is correct it is no longer Nationals due to the many international teams that participate in the various events at the Championship Event.

When talking to outsiders, a.k.a non FIRST people, I always use the World Championship because it sounds much better and gives somewhat of a better description of what occurs.

See all of you in ATL

Facebook
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:00 PM
AKA: formerly sumadin
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Guy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Guy Davidson Send a message via AIM to Guy Davidson Send a message via MSN to Guy Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lucas View Post
How bout "The Show" (Okay, Baseball season just started, I know I'm not the only fan)

Maybe if we get a good nickname to stick, everyone (myself included) will stop calling it "nats" in a couple years.
The Spring Classic? The April Classic?

-Guy
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: