OCCRA
Go to Post dang. I wish my legs were as good as Dave's. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Go VOLS!!
AKA: Budda648
no team (QC Elite)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Jeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeremiah Johnson Send a message via MSN to Jeremiah Johnson
Why it's worth it

Story:

Team 648 was presenting their team and robot to the incoming Freshmen at Moline HS tonight. We were surrounded by other clubs and organizations involved with Moline. While we only got nine students to sign up, there was one special person that committed to join the team. That person? A 4-year old child. He didn't know what was going on or what the team was about, but was very entertained by my Vex robot.

This cute little child was following the robot around all night. When the robot moved he followed. As I made it do circles around a pillar, he did circles, too. When it turned around, he backed away. It was so cute, too bad my camera's batteries were dead.

When I started talking to his father as we were packing up he (his father) committed to his child's education in science and technology. He wanted to know how early his son could start robotics and what he could do to enrich his son's education. Unfortunately, there are no FLL teams in the Moline School district, so I had to tell him he'd have to wait for Vex*.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I used to think FIRST was about my learning experiences, but now that I'm out of high school and am a seasoned veteran of FIRST I've realized that this organization is about more than my own enjoyment, it's about the enjoyment of others. Younger people that I inspire. I certainly inspired someone tonight and I'm hoping this story will inspire you, too.

*Today I visited with the local Boys and Girls Club Organization and they were very enthused about starting one or more Vex teams in the Quad Cities, what a busy day for promoting FIRST!

XBOX Live Gamertag = theVelvetLie
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Miranda: Design and Scouting
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 2005
MGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MGoelz Send a message via Yahoo to MGoelz
Re: Why it's worth it

That's really cool. Just imagine who we can intrigue. If we all started being fascinated and knew about these programs at that age, FIRST would be so large a program, companies would seek out those that were involved in FIRST, especially aspiring engineers.
Way to get FIRST out there!!! (Especially with VEX, since it's so new.)
"The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving engineering problems."
N. W. Dougherty
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Observer
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
Zyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for heart warming stories. Whenever we take the Aim High robot out some where we are always followed by a crowd of small children who want to play catch with the big orange bot. Times like that make you remember other things that FIRST is about.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda648 View Post
When I started talking to his father as we were packing up he (his father) committed to his child's education in science and technology. He wanted to know how early his son could start robotics and what he could do to enrich his son's education. Unfortunately, there are no FLL teams in the Moline School district, so I had to tell him he'd have to wait for Vex*.
Sounds like you've got the first recruit (and coach?) for the new 2011 FLL team.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Budda,
This is a perfect opportunity to get someone to start a Junior FLL team in Moline. Who knows where it will go from there. Caterpillar has jumped in with both feet in Peoria and this year had 32 (?) FLL teams and their own regional in addition to the four FRC teams.
www.wildstang.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyik View Post
Yay for heart warming stories. Whenever we take the Aim High robot out some where we are always followed by a crowd of small children who want to play catch with the big orange bot. Times like that make you remember other things that FIRST is about.
Same story here. We had ours out before a basketball game and the kids kept chasing it around and catching the balls, then throwing them back into the hopper.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Go VOLS!!
AKA: Budda648
no team (QC Elite)

Jeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeremiah Johnson Send a message via MSN to Jeremiah Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Budda,
This is a perfect opportunity to get someone to start a Junior FLL team in Moline. Who knows where it will go from there. Caterpillar has jumped in with both feet in Peoria and this year had 32 (?) FLL teams and their own regional in addition to the four FRC teams.
Yeah, that would be nice and I wish it were that easy. There's no "Caterpillar-like" interest in the Quad Cities.

There are several FLL teams in the Quad Cities area (Davenport and home schools), don't know anything about JFLL, though.

Off-Topic:
I have another meeting with the Boys and Girls Club in May, after I'm out of school to present Vex to them again. I have a feeling there will be a large growth in the number of FVC teams in the QCA. I'm anticipating at least 3 teams within the Boys and Girls Clubs and then one more at my church. I'll work more over the summer to spread the word more. Our team is going to work hard to promote FIRST (I'll make sure of it).

XBOX Live Gamertag = theVelvetLie
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2007, 06:45 AM
FRC #0340 (G.R.R.)
Team Role: Mentor

Joohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Joohoo Send a message via Yahoo to Joohoo

Quote:
...I used to think FIRST was about my learning experiences, but now that I'm out of high school and am a seasoned veteran of FIRST I've realized that this organization is about more than my own enjoyment, it's about the enjoyment of others. Younger people that I inspire. I certainly inspired someone tonight...
Yes you are so right. For me that is one of the reasons FIRST is so fun.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Yeah, that would be nice and I wish it were that easy. There's no "Caterpillar-like" interest in the Quad Cities.
John Deere, who's Corporate Headquarters are in Moline, Illinois might just take exception to that quote!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Thats such a cute story!!

I think the answer is there is no age requirement to join FIRST. We have a student who is the brother of one of our juniors. I think he's 10 now, and he is probably one of the best CAD designers on the team! The night of his birthday would have been a typical robot build night (during build season), and he had told his parents that he wanted to have his "party" at Robotics... he didnt want to go out to dinner, or do anything else, he wanted to be at robotics Unfortunately, school was canceled that day... but we hijacked the robot and some tools from the locked school and headed over to Harris with a portion of our team. He said that was the coolest birthday ever!

Another even younger story, when I was in high school one of the engineers had a son the year I joined. When the little boy was 3 years old, he would always tell his dad he wanted to go see the BIG ROBOT!! He would come in, laugh & play with the robot, and then sit on the floor in our little makeshift field room and sort nuts & bolts... at 3 years old!

Kids are amazing... and they definitely brighten your day. Never underestimate them!
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

This is one of my favorite things about FIRST, the fact that any man, women or child can see how amazing and fun FIRST really is.

When MOE dose demonstrations we sometimes bring out or 2001 Championship robot Lil MOE we put a glove on the arm used to lift up the 2001 platform and shake and high five kids hands with it and the kids love it, they walk up to shake a robots hand and some have even talked to it and waited for a reply. It is great that more and more teams are showing off their hard work to younger kids because if you can get them involved in the JrFLL age and they see how much fun it its you will have a kid who can go from jrFLL-FLL-VEX-FRC and FIRST's mission will be complete.

Facebook

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: