OCCRA
Go to Post Never leave future engineers alone, especially with something like gravity. - Alex Pelan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute
Prayers for super mentor

Jerry Smyth, our monocoque mentor, is in bad health.
He fought a bout of cancer and won but his medication made him sick. He had what appeared to be a stroke but nothing was found with the MRI so it was thought to be a reaction with his meds.
His latest battle is with Bells Palsy. He was doing pretty well but I was told today that he is in bad shape. They don't no if it's the palsy or what.
So if the FIRST community could take a moment and pray for him, I think it will help.
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3284 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist with FRC Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Also won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Prayers for super mentor

To Mr. Smyth:

Say the word. I'll go to war for you. The FIRST World has your back.

To my bretheren on team THRUST, in the immortal words of Thomas Paine...
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

May he live to see these days renewed, and to know no more despair. (King Theoden.)

Last edited by MishraArtificer : 05-10-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Found the quote I was looking for earlier...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
FTC #0478 (Mustang Robotics 478)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
fredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to fredliu168

My heart goes out to Jerry, his family and friends, as well as team members of 1501.

Hope he gets better.
Pennsylvania VEX Competition WINNERS
Atlanta World Championships Runner-up alliance
Only team to win two regionals in 2006

In 2007
Team Name: 478 Mustang Robotics and 163 UHS Robotics
Events:
Toronto FTC Competition - Finalists (478, 163, 298)
MA FTC Competition - Winners! (738, 478, 427)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne:
It must be difficult for you to bring this news to us but it is good that you did. Thank you for allowing us to help.
My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry and with all of you.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
FRCDesigns.com
AKA: Matt Starke
FRC #0174 (Arctic Warriors); (Alumni: 340 (GRR), 1126 (SparX))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Starke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant future

Mr. Smyth, I am praying for your health, as well as your family and friends.

Team 340 | G.R.R. | Alumni/Mentor | 2003-2007, 2010
Team 1126 | SparX | Engineer | 2008-2009
Dylan Starke Strategy | Engineer | 2011
FRCDesigns.com | Engineer | 2011 - Present
Team 174 | Arctic Warriors | Advisor | 2012 - Present
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Mike Wade, RIP You will be missed
AKA: Kyle Rice
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Kyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond reputeKyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

My thoughts will be with your mentor and his family.

Facebook
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
The Skunkfather
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

Our thoughts and prayers are with you...
We need you in the FIRST community... the designs that Team Thrust has come up the past few years are phenomenal...
Las Vegas 07 WINNER..(w/ 1425/254)...Seattle 08 WINNER (w/ 2046/949).. Oregon 09 WINNER (w/1318/2635)SEA 10 RCA , Spokane 12 WINNER (w/2122/4082) and RCA--- Central Washington 13 WINNER (w/1425/753)--Seattle 13 WINNER (w/948/492) & RCA --Spokane 13 WINNER (w/2471/4125) Spokane 14 - DCA --Auburn 14 - WINNER (w1318/4960) --District CMP 14 WINNER (w 1318/2907, District CMA, CMP 14 Newton Finalist w 971/341/3147

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:43 PM
CraigHickman

Here's praying for him. Haven't met him, but any member of FIRST, especially mentors, is a friend of mine.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Mr MOE's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
MOE 365 Team Coordinator
AKA: John Larock
None #0365 (Miracle Workerz)

Rookie Year: 2000
Mr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond repute

My prayers go out to Jerry, his family, and his team.

MOE Celebrates 15 Years in FIRST this season!
2007 CMP Chairmans Award - thanks to all MOEboteers, past and present!

2014 MOE Fun Build Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRDj...ature=youtu.be
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Tell Jerry are thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I hope he gets well soon. He is an amazing man and a tough fighter. I hope he can come to IRI.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners

Last edited by IndySam : 05-10-2007 at 09:59 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM
AKA: Andrea Keller
FRC #0292 (PantherTech)

Rookie Year: 2005
Luckyfish05 is a name known to allLuckyfish05 is a name known to allLuckyfish05 is a name known to allLuckyfish05 is a name known to allLuckyfish05 is a name known to allLuckyfish05 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Luckyfish05 Send a message via Skype™ to Luckyfish05

Tell Mr. Smyth that PantherTech's thoughts are with him, and I can personally say that my prayers are with him. I will be praying.
, Hope Dutch!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?-Nelson Mandela
Attending:
Boilermaker Regional- CHAMPS!
Western Michigan District- Working
*NEW ADD!* Michigan Championships
Championships
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
None #1501 (Team THRUST)

Rookie Year: 2001
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris_Elston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Elston

Here is Jerry teaching Team 1720 this past year.

http://muncierobots.iweb.bsu.edu/gal...Monocoque.html

Note only did he teach our own kids, but started to reach out to other teams as well.

Favorite CD quote:
"That can't be their 'bot. not nearly enough (if any) rivets to be a 1501 machine." ~RogerR: Team #1369
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I am The Goober!!!
AKA: Steve
FRC #1501 (Team Thrust)

Goober!!! is a jewel in the roughGoober!!! is a jewel in the roughGoober!!! is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Goober!!! Send a message via Yahoo to Goober!!!

Thank you all for your guys support. Jerry has been a fantastic mentor and I'm just so proud that how much he has taught me and the other students of 1501 and that we can show other teams about are designs. And be a great FIRST team for his abilties and a mentor and a friend and a just plan great person.

Goober!!!

I am the Goober!!!

Check out the "Goofy Goober Rock" song!!!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
Here is Jerry teaching Team 1720 this past year.

Jerry is teaching us all. I didn't know that riveting could be so much ... um... fun.

My prayers and my family's prayers are with Jerry. Let's all hope he gets better soon!

Andy B.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
FRC #0084 (Chuck 84)

Rookie Year: 1997
JudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud of

Thoughts and prayers are with Jerry.

Hope all goes well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: