OCCRA
Go to Post I guess my only option is to either stop picking on Dave or come up with an even better picture! Now, which one do you think I'll choose? - MissInformation [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Founder
FTC #3053 (Occam's Engineers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
nonother will become famous soon enoughnonother will become famous soon enough
pic: Differential Swerve (Close Up View) with Advanced Gear Kit

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54
Re: pic: Differential Swerve (Close Up View) with Advanced Gear Kit

That differential looks almost identical to the LEGO ones. Is it fairly easy to assemble? I know I've always had a heck of a time getting the LEGO ones together

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:12 AM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex Suchko
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I assembled my first lego differential based vechicle.... It made me crazy to put it together but jeesh was i happy when it was! I'll have to get my hands on one of these, always have been facinated by differentials.

Great job on the assembly!

-q

2008 Championship Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award Winners
Electrical Engineer Illini
1024 | Programmer '06, '07, '08 | Driver '08
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)
Team Role: Mentor

JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, this was my weak point when working on the race car back in high school -- I was more of an engine & electronics guy. What is the point of a differential for those of us who can't visualise why you'd want 2 wheels turning in opposite directions on the chassis setup you have for this particular bot?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
Hmm, this was my weak point when working on the race car back in high school -- I was more of an engine & electronics guy. What is the point of a differential for those of us who can't visualise why you'd want 2 wheels turning in opposite directions on the chassis setup you have for this particular bot?
In the differential in a car, the wheels do NOT normally turn in different directions; (although it is possible) rather they turn at different speeds. When you drive around a corner, the outside wheel has to turn faster (bigger radius circle), and the inside wheel has to turn slower (smaller radius).

The way this is achieved is that the entire body of the differential can spin, causing one of the output shafts to spin slower that the other. (It's kind of hard to explain in words, these links may be of some help:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differ....htm/printable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differe...hanical_device)

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

I've used differentials like this for various applications, usually when I need an output shaft to be able to switch from rotating with the input to rotating opposite. This can be done by allowing the entire differential casing (as shown here) to rotate, or by locking it up.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Is the differential the only thing that comes in the "Advanced gear kit"? Does it come as one unit, or does it have to be assembled? I assume the bevel gears could be used for other applications?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
AKA: David Hillman
FRC #1577 (Steampunk) & FRC #125 (NUTRONS)

David55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Is the differential the only thing that comes in the "Advanced gear kit"? Does it come as one unit, or does it have to be assembled? I assume the bevel gears could be used for other applications?
The kit comes with the differential frame, bevel gears (which can be used in the differential or for other applications), rack gears and worm gears (plus a few spur gears to use with the worm and rack gears).

You can see the contents here: http://www.vexlabs.com/vex-robotics-...gear-kit.shtml
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 12:14 AM
CraigHickman

I should get those so I can build a coaxial crab...

Looks sweet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: