OCCRA
Go to Post So you wanna be a playa But your gear boxes aint fly? You gotta shift us up To get that high speed drive.... - Michelle Celio [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave
pic: 2007 Robot Brain

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Team member turned mentor
AKA: Daniel A. Cobar
FRC #1881 (GAMMA Elite)

GMAdan has a spectacular aura aboutGMAdan has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to GMAdan
Re: pic: 2007 Robot Brain

wow that a lot of stuff in a little space, didn't your victors get really hot
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Lets play robots!
AKA: Stephanie Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Stephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Stephi Rae Send a message via Skype™ to Stephi Rae

Did you have a muffin fan nearby to keep them cool?

If you didn't, or even if you did I guess... did they give you any trouble?
Mentor - Team 1983 (2013-Present)

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Pavan, if you have a picture of the bottom view of that board, please post it. A lot of people will be inspired after they can see how much weight can be taken out just from one sheet of metal. That is one of the most neat electrical board I have seen all year long. Kuddos to you guys.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Busy in College

Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi Rae View Post
Did you have a muffin fan nearby to keep them cool?
If you didn't, or even if you did I guess... did they give you any trouble?
No sir, we did not have a muffin fan. We did not have any fans besides the ones on the speed controllers actually. If I had more pictures of the different views, you would see that the speed controller fans are mounted to where they air flows in narrow aisles. We did not have problems with the cooling of speed controllers. Also as Arefin mentions in the post above there is a lot of metal cut out of our Cat Plate (the plate that everything was mounted onto (it is called the Cat Plate because my mentor thought it looked "cat-like")) so there is also direct airflow to the speed controllers from underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAdan View Post
wow that a lot of stuff in a little space, didn't your victors get really hot
No sir. They were warm after some hard (demanding on the Victors), close to back to back matches at the Bayou, but never hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefin Bari View Post
Pavan, if you have a picture of the bottom view of that board, please post it. A lot of people will be inspired after they can see how much weight can be taken out just from one sheet of metal. That is one of the most neat electrical board I have seen all year long. Kuddos to you guys.
I will try to get some of the modeled pictures that the controls team made using inventor this year to give you a better idea as to how the bottom looked as well as different views so that you can see how air would flow.
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Electrical Engineer / Computer Geek
AKA: Eldarion Telcontar
no team (Teamless Orphan)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eldarion Send a message via Yahoo to Eldarion

Am I the only one that can't see the picture (it doesn't even come up?)

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.
If it's rampaging around destroying things it's a programming problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarion View Post
Am I the only one that can't see the picture (it doesn't even come up?)
I don't seem to have a problem viewing it, but I threw it up on my site anyway:

http://www.uhsserobotics.com/pavansSickBoard.jpg

Jacob
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Electrical Engineer / Computer Geek
AKA: Eldarion Telcontar
no team (Teamless Orphan)

Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eldarion Send a message via Yahoo to Eldarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytheheckme View Post
I don't seem to have a problem viewing it, but I threw it up on my site anyway:

http://www.uhsserobotics.com/pavansSickBoard.jpg

Jacob
That IS nice!

Firefox must be acting up again, thus I can't see the pic on CD. It happens now and then... Thanks for duplicating it for me!

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.
If it's rampaging around destroying things it's a programming problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:27 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #0703 (Phoenix)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud ofcbale2000 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to cbale2000

I'll bet the judges gave you a hard time about it. I'm amazed you didn't have any issues with overheating. I know had we put that many victors so close together our mentors would have made us use additional fans!

Just out of curiosity, why did you make it so small? Did you need space or just felt like keeping it compact?

Last edited by cbale2000 : 05-16-2007 at 11:29 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Lets play robots!
AKA: Stephanie Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Stephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to beholdStephi Rae is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Stephi Rae Send a message via Skype™ to Stephi Rae

Very impressive. I would also like to see that modeled in inventor. we're a rookie team, and i had to come up with our electronics organization this year and used inventor to lay it out... unfortunately we had to do a lot of rearranging... I think that if I were able to compact things like this we would have a lot less trouble next year. If I am seeing things correctly your RC is elevated, right? therefore giving you space to work with underneath, where you keep your backup battery I assume? as well as maybe a spike or two it appears, and a few pwms run under there... right? haha maybe i'm assuming too much, that sounds like a lot of stuff under there, but i guess I wouldn't doubt it seeing how much you fit in the area surrounding the RC.
Mentor - Team 1983 (2013-Present)

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Busy in College

The Cat Plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verdeyen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
I'll bet the judges gave you a hard time about it. I'm amazed you didn't have any issues with overheating. I know had we put that many victors so close together our mentors would have made us use additional fans!

Just out of curiosity, why did you make it so small? Did you need space or just felt like keeping it compact?
I was in charge of inspecting the robot this year again and the inspectors loved that the brain was very organized and that is all they liked , they had some issues with our brain being mounted on top of our fuse panel (20A-30A) but after a flashlight and a screwdriver they lightened up, but insisted SEVERAL times to make everything more visible in the future.

Our reason for making it so small is because of our base. If you see pictures of our robot, we have a very low CG and we had planned the base to place certain key components in certain spots (the V6, Compressor, Battery, Brain). So to answer your question, we space elsewhere on the robot for other functions AND we wanted to make it compact after previous years of our "keep it together" strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi Rae View Post
Very impressive. I would also like to see that modeled in inventor. we're a rookie team, and i had to come up with our electronics organization this year and used inventor to lay it out... unfortunately we had to do a lot of rearranging... I think that if I were able to compact things like this we would have a lot less trouble next year. If I am seeing things correctly your RC is elevated, right? therefore giving you space to work with underneath, where you keep your backup battery I assume? as well as maybe a spike or two it appears, and a few pwms run under there... right? haha maybe i'm assuming too much, that sounds like a lot of stuff under there, but i guess I wouldn't doubt it seeing how much you fit in the area surrounding the RC.

Yes sir you are correct, our RC is mounted higher but you are mistaken as to what is under there. Underneath lies our 20A-30A fuse panel. Also on our RC you might notice a piece of Velcro, that is where our backup battery was placed during competition.
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 04:21 AM
www.boredom-induced.com
AKA: Marcus
FRC #0179 (Swampthing)

CWBWBN is a glorious beacon of lightCWBWBN is a glorious beacon of lightCWBWBN is a glorious beacon of lightCWBWBN is a glorious beacon of lightCWBWBN is a glorious beacon of lightCWBWBN is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to CWBWBN Send a message via MSN to CWBWBN Send a message via Yahoo to CWBWBN

that is definately the cleanest electronics board i have ever seen for as much stuff is on there!!

mch
<3
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 05:24 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan View Post
PS. There is a trick to the power distribution block that will be posted soon.
Yeah, something's definitely up with the negative side. It looks like it's split into two sections. What's the deal?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
Yeah, something's definitely up with the negative side. It looks like it's split into two sections. What's the deal?
Yes, It appears that one of the 4 (-) blocks is not connected to the others... and has a lot of stuff going in/out of it.

Now that I look at it better, on the (near) side, it appears there are 4 black wires, appearing to go to the Victors on the right. On the other side is a larger wire, and we can not see where this goes. Perhaps those Victors are grounded separately? for some reason?

Just some thoughts.
Jacob
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Take a close look at this picture. It is very cool to see teams planning ahead of time like Gabe said in the other thread.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: