OCCRA
Go to Post I guess everyone cant play real defense, like actually pushing the other robot instead of ramming it with the intent to destroy. - Dillon Compton [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #361   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM
VA FIRST Alumni
AKA: Alex Curfman
FRC #0384 (Sparky)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
1086VEX is a glorious beacon of light1086VEX is a glorious beacon of light1086VEX is a glorious beacon of light1086VEX is a glorious beacon of light1086VEX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/FRC Game Hint #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Another Dave item, this one spotlighted by him:
Is that meaning a "throwback game", where the basic idea was used before, such as 2007/1997? Or just the IR and 2004 game?
i saw this along with other posts about a t shape in the square which reminded me of a past FRC game... in 1995 the game was ramp n' roll and it was played on a T shaped field.... maybe ther'll be a different shaped field this year...
  #362   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
FRC #1619

ergodezign is on a distinguished road

I don't think I have seen this picture on this forum yet. Via Google Maps the distance from the coord origin to the obelisk pair is aprox 100 ft and the obelisk pair looks a lot like goal posts. Then you have Globe Bar right behind, kinda like the globe (sphere) just scored a point...

I know, that is an awful lot like the 2006 game, but I think that game had a lot of un-used potential that may tempt the FIRST designers to explore scoring points with a ball.

A 100 ft field goal by a robot would certainly be a challange - wouldn't it Dave? :-)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/271660
  #363   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Ubuntu Linux User
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
keen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the rough

Is there anything the three numbers have in common with each other?

also, is there anything in Copley square that is 11 ft. tall?

342.242026 millimeters = 1.12284129 feet

342.242026 centimeters = 11.2284129 feet

342.242026 centimeters = 3.42242026 meter
  #364   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 11:29 PM
VirginiaFIRST Technical Director
AKA: Matthew Glennon
FRC #1610 (Builders of Tomorrow)

Rookie Year: 2001
fnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to behold

Let's try this again...

I like the idea of longitude and latitude. I have no real guess what the third number means, either.

I could see myself being one of the Bostonians that got in his car in the middle of the night to go see what was at 42.349905/-71.076072.

I enjoy the brainstorming that's going on here, you guys out think me most of the time. Keep it up.

Matt

Current Volunteer Roles:
Team 1610: Mentor, Sponsor
VCU: FTAA
Championship: Field Supervisor (Curie)

Last edited by fnsnet : 12-22-2007 at 11:32 PM.
  #365   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergodezign View Post
Good image.

Edit: OMG!!! Can you ask for link that messes with your head even more by showing the place where the numbers take you on a map, the Copley Square statue with the 2 obelisks, the Globe Cafe, AND is shown through an infrared filter????
http://www.bbeaucherstudios.com/gall...p&cat=0&pos=27

Quote:
Boylston Street and Copley Square through an infrared filter.

Anyways, there are more places on the internet that will give us satellite pictures than just Google, so without further ado,

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?...vrl=-1&drwl=-1

By the way, According to The Terraserver link, At exactly 42° 20' 59.64" North & 71° 4' 33.60" West (which is the Degrees, Minutes, & Seconds equivalent of the first 2 digits FIRST threw at us, it lands us on the upper right hand corner of the design in the bricks in Copley Square. Not on a statue & not on a lamp post.

Go to that link, and hover over till you get the exact readings above in the bottom right of the page, and you'll see what I mean.
Edit: Never mind, I'll just attach a pic showing the connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copley Sq.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	5883  

Last edited by Elgin Clock : 12-23-2007 at 12:14 AM.
  #366   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 11:50 PM
FRC #0900

towerofisengard is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just spent the last who knows how many hours reading all 25 pages of posts. there is some really good stuff getting going here.

i agree with previous posts that we probably won't figure out exactly what the game is from these hints. but we may get close. and the real fun is the fact that they got all of us brainstorming. we are all thinking about the game now, and it is good preparation for the fast approaching build season.

i would be very interested to know (as several people have previously said) what is actually at those coordinates. we have determined that we can't get very accurate placements from programs like Google maps / Google earth. and the point terraserver marks is different than the one Google marks.

it would be very nice if someone in Boston with a gps could go out there and tell us what is in that spot, to as much accuracy as civilian gps units can

all said, i really enjoy all the theories, and have a feeling some of this stuff will be right. if not, it was a lot of fun!!!
  #367   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:15 AM
RyanN
AKA: Ryan Nazaretian
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)

RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanN

Maybe the number give have nothing to do with coordinates on Earth, but rather saying that we will be given coordinates on the field. The IR Receiver gets the code from the field element and tells the robot/driver where to place it in one of four spots. If the field element is placed in the wrong spot, it is minus points, if in the correct spot, the plus points.
  #368   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

As stated before by someone, by reading this thread, I can tell you everything the game won't be because no one ever guesses even remotely close to what the game is or involved based on these hints.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #369   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 01:05 AM
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTorak View Post
As stated before by someone, by reading this thread, I can tell you everything the game won't be because no one ever guesses even remotely close to what the game is or involved based on these hints.
Ouch. What a sucker punch to everyone's ego who is guessing here.

I think statistically speaking, I would like to think at least one post early on may have something relevant as to what FIRST intends us to find out by giving us these seemingly cryptic clues with no perfect answer.

I recall in 2006 M. Krass guessing the TV show "Just Shoot Me" about the line in the clue "a game piece obsessed with a shovel's show".
Woodie mentioned "Just Shoot Me" during kickoff specifically from that thread here on CD, as if that was in the right direction of a guess, and come to find out, we had to "shoot" the game piece that year.

#370   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Ctrl+Alt+De1337
AKA: German Khmelnitsky
FRC #0334 (Tech Engineers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
WillItBlend will become famous soon enoughWillItBlend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WillItBlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTorak View Post
yo if you refer to page 8 of the 2006 hint [edit: of the 07 game] thread, the hint was solved. and thats considering over 40 pages of guesses before the game was revealed. pwnt.

Last edited by WillItBlend : 12-23-2007 at 02:18 AM.
  #371   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Ctrl+Alt+De1337
AKA: German Khmelnitsky
FRC #0334 (Tech Engineers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
WillItBlend will become famous soon enoughWillItBlend will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WillItBlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimmel View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copley_Square theres a statue at the exact coordinates....
hmm in spirit of guessing of water games, thats a statue of John Singleton Copely. He drew a painting entitled Watson and the Shark depicting Brook Watson fighting a shark attack. roflcakes water, i love how we're always wrong year after year, but i still love to imagine an Ice Game
  #372   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM
AKA: Masha and Ricki
FRC #0004 (Element)
Team Role: Communications

mackfix will become famous soon enough

Alright, I ran a few excel functions on these numbers. I hope this file helps someone or atleast helps fuel another train of thought.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 3 Numbers.xls (33.5 KB, 141 views)
  #373   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:21 AM
FRC #1622

Code Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

This can only mean one thing - upgraded processor to 16 bit (32 bit double accuracy) to get 9 significant figures. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/im...lies/yikes.gif
  #374   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:29 AM
AKA: Masha and Ricki
FRC #0004 (Element)
Team Role: Communications

mackfix will become famous soon enough

lol. it probably means nothing but its worth a look over (I hope). Maybe you would like to add to my list?
  #375   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2007, 04:34 AM
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

More stuff to play around with:

http://www.panoramamagazine.com/pano...er%20Fountain/

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: