OCCRA
Go to Post We are not the families of competiting robot teams, but we are a family of Gracious and Professionalism, because we know it better than anyone in the world. - wsansewjs [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: How difficult do you feel this competition is, this year?
Already done no challenge at all 1 0.65%
It's too easy, something harder please 11 7.14%
It's Ok, It's not too easy and not too ha 60 38.96%
It's on the hard side but is alright i guess 77 50.00%
It's extremly difficult, what do i do 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Build, Scout, Drive
AKA: Stephen
VRC #0478 (Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2006
astephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really nice
How difficult do you feel this competition is, this year?

I find it that it's a bit to easy but is a bit hard too what about you?
-Winners of the Drivers Challenge
Ontario Championship
-Finalists

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
AKA: CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
MTGdiablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MTGdiablo
Re: How difficult do you feel this competition is, this year?

In certain ways, it is easy.

Like simply programming a remote control to tell a robot to turn left(or whatever you want it to do).

There are several different ways you could score, which increase or decrease in difficulty level.

There's your rabbit, which is pretty much just a drive base with some protective armor on it.
There's your robot that pushes the ball.
You've got the robot that puts the ball and takes the ball off of the rack, and all of that jazz.

Each of those, depending on skill level, most likely would increase in difficulty.

But the game itself, in my opinion, is quite a bit easier than last year's game.

I like the game, and can't wait to start competing at the Boilermaker Regional!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Build, Scout, Drive

astephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really niceastephen68 is just really nice

I like the game because it's good for rookies but Last Years game was a bit better more action and won't make your head hurt like this years, looking around the track, around, around and around there is no defense so no action.
IN MY poinion this game would be great if they had the DEFENSE!!!!!
Ontario Championship
-Finalists

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong

I like the game, it is like a (Chinese) buffet, there is something for everyone.

There are many different levels of challanges for scoring;
something for rookies that won't stress them out and something for veterans who want to build flying machines and score big.
Please help feed the hungry.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

At first glance, this game seems really easy and rookie-friendly. I don't think it is. Consider this: one lap with just your robot nets 2pts, but one lap hurdling nets 10pts (2pts for the robot, 8pts for hurdling). So, if a robot hurdles only twice in a match, it gets 20pts. To beat that, the boxbot needs to do eleven laps, which is quite a challenge. Good boxbots may be able to contribute some points to an alliance, but even a mediocre hurdler can top them.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Build, Scout, Drive

But A rookie team is merely just trying to move their robot and at least this year they get points for moving around the track. Last year if they built a robot that could just drive they would get 0 points unless they had ramps. This Year i don't like but it's good for rookie teams
Ontario Championship
-Finalists

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly had no idea that hurdle would be difficult to spell.
I've seen it spelled so many ways, I'm waiting for hurl/hurling.
--
The game is going to be exciting. I want a front row seat and a big box of buttered popcorn.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who says it's easy - have you picked up that ball yet?

And yes Jane, one of our mentors was talking about hurling the other day. Must have meant the ice game with big stones, right?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

I think this is the game FIRST has been wanting for years now. It's a game that anyone can play by just making a drive. That being said, I also think people are underestimating the difficulty of hurdling. I think you'll see a lot of teams in week one spending plenty of time just trying to get the ball over. This game could potentially be one of the best in years depending on the strategies.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevanoort View Post
At first glance, this game seems really easy and rookie-friendly. I don't think it is. Consider this: one lap with just your robot nets 2pts, but one lap hurdling nets 10pts (2pts for the robot, 8pts for hurdling). So, if a robot hurdles only twice in a match, it gets 20pts. To beat that, the boxbot needs to do eleven laps, which is quite a challenge. Good boxbots may be able to contribute some points to an alliance, but even a mediocre hurdler can top them.
Rookies can "herd" the ball too for 2pt+2pt.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by astephen68 View Post
But A rookie team is merely just trying to move their robot and at least this year they get points for moving around the track. Last year if they built a robot that could just drive they would get 0 points unless they had ramps. This Year i don't like but it's good for rookie teams
I disagree. Last year (and the year before), a rookie team could get a respectable (possibly match winning) number of points by climbing a ramp; a rookie could also build a boxbot and play defence for the whole match, which can be extremely valuable. This year, defence is much harder to play, there are no endgame "if you are at place x" bonuses, and scoring with the ball is a challenge. In my mind, this is the most rookie unfriendly game since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wong View Post
Rookies can "herd" the ball too for 2pt+2pt.
True, but keeping control of that ball will be a huge challenge for the inexperienced (and many of the experienced teams, too). Even herding, the rookie is still up against quite a challenge, they must get 6 laps to beat a mediocre hurdler. And, if it takes less than a minute, say, 30 seconds, for a hurdler to be able to score again, the boxbot can pretty much forget winning that match. (of course this all assumes the two alliances have equivalent partners)

Last edited by lukevanoort : 01-11-2008 at 04:34 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
I honestly had no idea that hurdle would be difficult to spell.
I've seen it spelled so many ways, I'm waiting for hurl/hurling.
--
The game is going to be exciting. I want a front row seat and a big box of buttered popcorn.
Yeah, hurling is when you get really sick!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
AKA: Slopsema
FRC #1504 (Desperate Penguins)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2007
Hairygutball has a spectacular aura aboutHairygutball has a spectacular aura about

simply herding the ball is a challenge for most teams, to effectively do it you have to pretty much make a gripper that can grip it well just so you can maneuver with it.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Build, Scout, Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevanoort View Post
I disagree. Last year (and the year before), a rookie team could get a respectable (possibly match winning) number of points by climbing a ramp; a rookie could also build a boxbot and play defence for the whole match, which can be extremely valuable. This year, defence is much harder to play, there are no endgame "if you are at place x" bonuses, and scoring with the ball is a challenge. In my mind, this is the most rookie unfriendly game since 2001.

Last year it was competitive for the rookie teams, they had to just go on ramps haha thats very exciting and defense. Thats not really fun. This year rookies have a chance to compete and be competitive with the other teams, not just help or try to help with a weak squarebox. This year alows them to drive around and when the balls on the ground also pick it up and get more points. They can win without a strong team on their alliance.
Ontario Championship
-Finalists

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

When I first saw this game, I thought it was a cakewalk. The more I stew on it, the less I'm sure.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: