OCCRA
Go to Post At this rate, Team Update #2 should just eliminate the Minibots and replace it with the drive team captains playing rock-paper-scissors to determine the bonus points. - artdutra04 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk
Angry NOOO!!!! It Can't Be!!!

I'm so mad right now, it isn't even funny. I was working on the new team's website on my laptop's when I kept getting funny message balloons in the lower right corner of my screen that "this-and-that" file was corrupt and that I should run 'chkdsk'. Well, I scheduled a Check Disk run for all three of my partitions, obviously my C:\ drive had to run after a reboot. After rebooting, I never got to the chkdsk screen, just a black screen. So I let it run about an half-hour, but to no avail. Went into BIOS and ran the built-in hard drive check, it returns OK, so it's not physical damage. Rebooted into Safe Mode, and something strange comes to light: It hangs when it tries to load crcdisk.sys! I'm hoping it isn't true, maybe it's just an isolated incident, so I shut it down, turn it on before bed, and let it run overnight. Nothing. Right now I've got a 10-pound paperweight sitting here. The moral of this story:

DON'T BUY VISTA!!! IT'S A TRAP, LUKE! IT'S A TRAP!!!!

Yeah, on a related note, I can't do the Buckeye Regional, but we can provide scouting as soon as I get a Linux distro up-and-running. I'm working on getting another machine to use for the video, but it's not certain at this point. Now, is it possible to do a stream/encoding under Linux?

I'm fed up with Windows at this point, and truly only stick with them for gaming, truly. The PC I'm building is getting a dual-boot just so I can play Frontlines and use Vegas.

Last edited by synth3tk : 03-12-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fix'd
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard
Re: NOOO!!!! It Can\'t Be!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcheez View Post
Right now I\'ve got a 10-pound paperweight sitting here. The moral of this story:
I'll take it off your hands

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:03 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
DON\'T BUY VISTA!!! IT\'S A TRAP, LUKE! IT\'S A TRAP!!!!
I know. That's why I didn't . For the problem, try google... that's what I often use to find fixes to computer problems (my friends just think that I memorized all of MS's error codes). As long as you don't get a recommendation of "Take the appropriate action" (<- I once actually got this as the reccommended fix when looking up an error code on MS's website), you should be able to figure it out with a little searching.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Alumni/Volunteer
no team (Bob's Builders in Black)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
Geekzilla201 is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is data you absolutly need to get back, try downloading hirens Boot CD (free) It has several utilities that can get your data off and might even fix a few problems (though with vista, there are too many to count). I have found it quite useful.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
whitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
IT'S A TRAP, LUKE! IT'S A TRAP!!!!
Yeah, Luke was definitely aboard the Death Star when Ackbar said the "It's a trap" line. It was a reference to how the shield wasn't down and ships came from nowhere to flank the rebels' attacking force.

When we got our new programming laptop, it was set as a requirement that it had Windows XP Pro on it. =)

But really, I too will take that 10lb paperweight off your hands. =)

If there's no data you need, a clean wipe should fix everything. If Vista messed up anything but itself, you have different issues.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Lost in my own little world
AKA: Derek
FRC #1708 (Natural Selection)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
D_Price has a spectacular aura aboutD_Price has a spectacular aura aboutD_Price has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to D_Price

Yeah Vista is a really bad operating system... i am trying to go with the mac laptop with their new program on it... i cant think of it off the top of my head but it is better than vista.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
The Voice
no team

synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot I was using the proxy. Stupid CGI.

Anyway, there are three partitions: Vista, Misc. Items, and EVERYTHING Robotics. So I can safely install XP or Linux and keep all my important files. To tell you the truth, I dont even want to fix Vista at this point. I had to fix it less than four months ago, only that was a clean reinstall.

btw, I won the laptop in a drawing at the end of my summer PC repair class, so Im trying everything in my power to keep it running. Worse comes to worse, I know where I can get a version of XP safely. Ive got sources...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Whoa! college pilot.
AKA: vivek
FRC #2264 (trojan robotics)

vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vivek16 Send a message via MSN to vivek16

Vista is like Dave's game hints. They may look good but you really want nothing to do with them...

-Vivek
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek16 View Post
Vista is like Dave's game hints. They may look good but you really want nothing to do with them...

-Vivek
Dang. There goes the hint that was supposed to go out next week. Gotta start over now..
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
The Voice
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek16 View Post

-Vivek
lol, classic!

Again, does anyone know of how to do a webcast using Linux?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)

Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

I am constantly confused by how many problems people have with Windows in general, and Vista Specifically. I've yet to have a single Vista related issue with my computer, and I only started having issues with XP towards the end as my old computer got loaded down with stuff.

Maybe I just don't use it for as wide a variety of things as some others, so I don't really worry about conflicts or anything like that.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer &amp; Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I am constantly confused by how many problems people have with Windows in general, and Vista Specifically. I've yet to have a single Vista related issue with my computer, and I only started having issues with XP towards the end as my old computer got loaded down with stuff.

Maybe I just don't use it for as wide a variety of things as some others, so I don't really worry about conflicts or anything like that.
Here Here, I've had one problem with Vista and that was b/c of my own negligence - I loaded stuff up and never maintained the HD. I've also increased the RAM on my laptop to avoid anymore memory tangles since Vista consumes memory quickly - WHICH IS ONE HUGE DOWNSIDE ALTOGETHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek16
ROLMAO... As funny as that is, you have to think about those hints like this at least they're entertaining.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #1529 (Cyber Cards)

whlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to whlspacedude Send a message via MSN to whlspacedude Send a message via Yahoo to whlspacedude Send a message via Skype™ to whlspacedude

After I switched to Ubuntu i have had no problems running anything. Ever.

For my windows apps that wont run in WINE. I've installed XP in a Virtual Machine and have not had any problems with that either.

Although, Vista IS the Anti-Christ! Well, Almost...

I guess it will become the next XP when Blackcomb comes out.
And people will be saying STAY WITH VISTA!!

1529 mph = 4 109 952 furlongs per fortnight
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer &amp; Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlspacedude View Post
I guess it will become the next XP when Blackcomb comes out.
And people will be saying STAY WITH VISTA!!
Blackcomb?
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #1529 (Cyber Cards)

whlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nicewhlspacedude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to whlspacedude Send a message via MSN to whlspacedude Send a message via Yahoo to whlspacedude Send a message via Skype™ to whlspacedude

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows

1529 mph = 4 109 952 furlongs per fortnight

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: