OCCRA
Go to Post your bot brings all the boys to the yard. - looneylin [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Did I do the right thing?
Yes 81 87.10%
No 0 0%
It depends on the situation. 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute
What to do?

After one of my matches, our entire drive team seemed upset. Apparently, one of the mentors on our alliance (a different team) was yelling at them. (i.e. barking orders) What would you do in this situation? (please post this below)

I went over and talked to the team. I made sure he understood that he shouldn't have been yelling at my team mates. He came over and apologized to the members he had yelled at. According to him, it was a misunderstanding. The whole thing is over now and I hold no hard feelings, but I want to know everyone's opinion. Did I do the right thing? (Just vote on the poll)

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Last edited by Molten : 03-14-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: grammar and such
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM
That guy
AKA: Dennis
no team (None this season)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
DarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to DarkFlame145
Re: What to do?

Indeed, you handled that very well imo
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

I think you did the right thing.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Taking one home in '09.
AKA: Danny McCanney
FRC #0816 (The WesTech Anomaly)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Danny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Danny McC Send a message via MSN to Danny McC

I believe what you did was the best and right thing to do.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Some drive coaches are loud. Some of them yell very loud to get their points across. Some of them will yell to/at your drive team. If you are in the tournament and you are selected by them, as a friend put it "they own you". "They own you" is in the sense that they are in charge of that alliance, and, while it is a team, when push comes to shove, it's their call.

That being said, obscenities and namecalling are inappropriate and unacceptable. If you are uncomfortable with something someone else does, however, the appropriate response is always to maturely and politely talk to them about it.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

You did the right thing. It can happen in the heat of battle but it shouldn't.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

I don't yell mean things at anyone on the drive teams, but I do yell at the drivers. I tell them all what to do and what's going on.

Not enough coaches do this, I think.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

As an adult team member I yell at the drive teams all the time. Normally "yes! YES! Go! Auuugh! No!!"

But I do it from the stands. Anyone who can't control their enthusiasm sufficiently to be a productive, GP coach should join me in the stands and let the kids have fun playing the game.

It sounds like you did the right thing, and that the overly enthusiastic coach did the right thing by apologizing... hopefully they will think about coming up to enjoy the game from the stands and consider that a better place to indulge their enthusiasm rather than down on the floor.

And while I can see that occasionally it may be useful to have an adult as part of the drive team to help sort out a problem, I would encourage all adult team members to consider giving up the coach position to a student so that one more kid can experience the excitement and responsibility of being down on the floor. It lets the adult yell that much louder gives the kids a very clear, "I trust you" message.

Jason
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Remember there is a difference between yelling and shouting. Sometimes during the din of a competition, voices have to be raised just to be heard.

Also some people's voices are just naturally harsh. I recall one soccer coach I know with a gravelly voice. Whenever he raised his voice to be heard, it sounded bad. But I very rarely saw Coach Tom mad - you just knew he was going to be loud.

That's why talking to the other mentor is important - you may have misunderstood his tone, and he may not realize he is upsetting others.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Emily2177
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Emily2177 is an unknown quantity at this point

The same thing happened to my team, but no one did anything about it. I wish we had, you did the right thing!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 10:13 AM
K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid!!)
AKA: Tech_Angel
FRC #0647 (Cyber Wolf Corps)
Team Role: Driver

647techangel has a spectacular aura about647techangel has a spectacular aura about

i think you did the right thing as long as you approched them and talked to them in a calm manner.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
FRC #0766

Rookie Year: 2002
MFS766 is a glorious beacon of lightMFS766 is a glorious beacon of lightMFS766 is a glorious beacon of lightMFS766 is a glorious beacon of lightMFS766 is a glorious beacon of lightMFS766 is a glorious beacon of light

Defiantly did the right thing to do.

I remember as a student in FIRST, I would yell at my teammates, simply in order to project my voice over noises in the pits. I was the pit chief then, I would normally just yell at the drive team when we were repairing the robot together and they would just yell back. It was purely for communication and we all understood each other. This came from our athletic sports. I was used to yelling in Lacrosse and the Drive team and I have played soccer with each other many times.

However, not everyone on the team is familiar with us yelling. If they did not know me, I can be confusing to tell if I was angry or simply projecting my voice . I yelled at a teammate to help me and he though I was criticizing his efforts with the repairs. A bad call on my part. He was visibly upset and yelled back at me for being arrogant . I immediately apologized to him. Despite my intentions, I was at fault. It was not necessary for me to yell. It may have been very clear to understand each word, but my tone meant something entirely different. It is important to distinguish supportive/communicative from actual anger (very unprofessional). I realized then, while my friends and I were used to communicating to me that way, my other team mates were not and I should be more watchful of how I was projecting my voice in any case.

Now as a mentor for my high school team, I think there should not be case at all for me to yell at my team. The students defiantly do not know me enough and it would unprofessional for me to behave like that. If I was the head coach with the drive team, there may be yelling to communicate better while on the field. This only if the students are comfortable with that. For students of other teams, I think yelling orders would be unprofessional. So presently, the only time I raise my voice is to cheer for my team.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Mechanical/Photographer/Photoshoper
AKA: LJ (Little John)
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
spinmunky will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to spinmunky Send a message via MSN to spinmunky Send a message via Yahoo to spinmunky

I just think that he got a bit too into the match and in the heat of the moment he just wanted to win.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Raul's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Somewhat Useful Person
no team (Formerly - Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Raul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond reputeRaul has a reputation beyond repute

Jason,

You absolutely did the right thing by coming to our pits and asking to talk to me. I thank you for giving me an opportunity to explain what I think happened to cause a misunderstanding. I think sometimes people are offended by the actions of another team or its members and never bother to pursue it to either prevent it from happening again or to find out why it happened.

I do sometimes yell instructions to other drive teams during matches. I feel this is sometimes necessary to stay in sync as an alliance to follow the agreed startegy and to stay informed of the situation. My voice does sound harsh at times and I guess it can sound intimidating. I apologize for that.

During a match, your drive team should not be afraid to tell the other teams if something is going wrong, in that case that your robot had been disabled - they will also have to yell for us to hear them. It is good for alliances to communicate during a match when things are going wrong.

Again, thanks for having the wisdom to try to straighten things between us rather than letting it sit.

Raul
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:44 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Raul
LOL

I knew it was you.

I also know that when you yell, your voice is loud but your tone is very respectfull. I have never seen a coach with a better ability to yell with love.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: