OCCRA
Go to Post I am definitely as much a student as any one of the kids on the team. - Hieb [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What's in a Name?
Don't change a thing 99 80.49%
Change, but stay with aviation theme 15 12.20%
Change, no one will notice 2 1.63%
Who are you? 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Forward.
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's in a Name?

Keep it. If you're worried about connotations, then minimize it or alter slightly. Baxter Bomb Squad & Truck Town Thunder are great examples of dealing with team identity through societal shifts. Post-9/11, from what I can remember, 16 contracted their name down to "BBS" (and have since shifted back), and Truck Town changed from Terror to Thunder. Identity unscathed, crisis managed.
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the name. Teen agers probably already have a low opinion of the team anyways (nerds. geeks and the usual blah blah blah) so why let them dictate your image.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

As many have put, you can twist just about anything into having a negative connotation. If you are seriously going to change your name come up with ideas and have them tested. Find some kids that you trust but still have some pretty twisted minds. Run the suggestions by them and see what kind of a negative connotation they can put to it. You might be surprised with what they come up with. It is sort of a way to test the name first. You might come up with a great name that nobody can come up with anything for, or you might find that there could be much worse connotations then THRUST has. Either way, it might help. I still think that you should keep your name, this might just help you from having to change it numerous times.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex Suchko
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)
Team Role: Alumni

Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Murphy View Post
How about if you just lose the Herd? We’ll still know you.

TRUST
But then they wouldn't be listed on acronym finder!

I don't usually wear my team T-shirts anywhere either because they have eh... odd designs... (not complaining since I didn't enter a design, just poking fun...)...

2006: The main attraction of our t-shirt design was a large, bright lime green rectangle. Oh boy.

2008: It has our team number in HUGE numbers on the front... which is kinda unfortunate because the back is AWESOME (great job whoever designed it).

-q

2008 Championship Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award Winners
Electrical Engineer Illini
1024 | Programmer '06, '07, '08 | Driver '08
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
FRC #0016 (Bomb Squad)

Meredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher View Post
Keep it. If you're worried about connotations, then minimize it or alter slightly. Baxter Bomb Squad & Truck Town Thunder are great examples of dealing with team identity through societal shifts. Post-9/11, from what I can remember, 16 contracted their name down to "BBS" (and have since shifted back), and Truck Town changed from Terror to Thunder. Identity unscathed, crisis managed.
The decision to go back to the un-PC Bomb Squad from BBS was easy for us. We lost Baxter in 2004 and we would have been BBS minus a B....oh my...

FIRST Hall of Fame
Kicking the Tires and Lighting the Fires since 1996
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Being a propulsionally-motivated kind of guy (I even have a t-shirt that says "Actually, I am a rocket scientist" ), "thrust" is always a good thing. Keep it as is.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)

Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

People should really grow up! THRUST is an awesome name and has its own identity easily recognized by over a thousand people involved in FIRST if not more. Its not worth the change. Just tell some kids to grow up or get their minds out of the gutter.

Personally acronyms aren't my style. I like the good old fashion names like Rockets, Gliders, Lakers, Mavericks, Cowboys, (insert more one word team names) or even multiple word team names without the "." after every [sometimes other] letter??

On that note I would soo name a team "The Wise Men" or "Wise Guys" with the slogan "Actually we are rocket scientists!" ... ... Stuart, what do you think??

Pavan

2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ

Last edited by Pavan Dave : 04-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Dave View Post
On that note I would soo name a team "The Wise Men" or "Wise Guys" with the slogan "Actually we are a rocket scientists!"
No women, I guess?

I know, what's in a name...

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)

Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
No women, I guess?

I know, what's in a name...
... I'll give you that on Wise Men, but "guys"?? Wise Peeps/People/Persons/Dudes/Dudes&Dudette don't have the same ring as "Wise Guys" ... ... Maybe I'll turn guys into the acronym GUYS...
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Dave View Post
... I'll give you that on Wise Men, but "guys"?? Wise Peeps/People/Persons/Dudes/Dudes&Dudette don't have the same ring as "Wise Guys" ... ... Maybe I'll turn guys into the acronym GUYS...
1. If it were an all male team - the Wise Men would be cool, I have to agree.

2. For co-ed, Wise Guys has possibilities.

Just keeping you on your toes, Pavan.

I have to wrap my brain about a robotics team named Dudettes. I can get there but ... I need coffee.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher View Post
Another team which changed its' name was team 304, WAR Department (Washington Area Robotics) to RoboGriffins.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
The Freshman
FRC #4183 (The Bit Buckets)

BHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud ofBHS_STopping has much to be proud of

To be honest, I found no immediate derogatory connotations from the name THRUST for the longest time. But once I understood, it really didn't strike me as a terribly urgent issue.

I believe that Team THRUST has built up a significant identity in the FIRST community, and you guys are always raising the bar in construction standards. THRUST has become synonymous with quality craftsmanship, in my mind.

Personally, I love the name THRUST. I believe that you shouldn't compromise your team identity for the sake of a few immature students at your school. Such a great name is not worth changing for such insignificant individuals.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
None #1501 (Team THRUST)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris_Elston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Elston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
If I were voting, I would say that your immediate community is more important to the FIRST community. We (the FIRST community) can adjust to you making changes that may be better for your community image.
This is an interesting thought, Andy Baker never ceases to amaze me in his teachings. FIRST is not just about building robots, it's been said many times. Community and teaching our students the values in life are most important to me as a mentor. Thanks for sharing.

Favorite CD quote:
"That can't be their 'bot. not nearly enough (if any) rivets to be a 1501 machine." ~RogerR: Team #1369

Last edited by Chris_Elston : 04-25-2008 at 07:42 AM.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
Community and teaching our students the values in life are most important to me as a mentor.
I agree that community is important, however let's look into what values you are teaching your students from this decision.

1. You change the name-
You are telling your students that they ought to give in to society standards. You are telling them that changing your identity is ok if it helps you to fit in.

2. You don't change the name-
You are telling them that it is more important to be who you are then to blend in. You are telling them to ignore society at times if it is for something worthwhile.

Granted, my personal opinions are biased. I would appreciate if others of you out there would make a list of the messages sent by either decision. That would give them an overall more accurate representation.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)

Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

I would tend to agree with Molten. FIRST isn't really about fitting in with society, it is about changing it. Should a team compromise on their identity, change who they are, just because of outside pressure? Or is it their duty to show pride in who they are and to instead change their community.

I see an issue with a society in which the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word Thrust is something derogatory. It is that facet of society which FIRST can change.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625

Last edited by Herodotus : 04-25-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: