OCCRA
Go to Post After assisting with the animation last year I realized how cool and useful Inventor was and I started flirting with it. Half a year later I think I have lost all possibility of ever having a girlfriend, and frankly I don't care because I would definately bare the child of this program. - negfrequency [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee
Salutatory Address

(If this should be in chit-chat, please move it; I wasn't positive.)

My high school graduation was yesterday afternoon, and as salutatorian, I was asked to give a speech during the ceremony. It's really a testimony to how much FIRST has helped me with my public speaking that I didn't faint on the podium, but that's not the reason I'm posting about it.

When I was fretting over what to write about, I decided the goal would be to make people laugh a bit, keep them from dozing off, and hopefully give them something to think about. I finally realized, what better way to accomplish that last goal than...focusing it around a Dean Kamen quote!

Here's the address; I wanted to share it with the FIRST community.

Quote:
Everyone starts off with a quote from someone famous. I didn’t want to start off with a quote; I wanted to start with an interpretive dance, but I didn’t think that would be much appreciated. I also ruled out the one-woman band, the flock of flamingoes, and the song-and-dance number. So, you get…a quote.

Dean Kamen is a prominent inventor and promoter of technology as a pathway to solutions for our world’s problems. A favorite saying of his and the foundation of much of his work is the idea that, “You get what you celebrate.”

By celebrate, he means give importance to or designate as a priority. We tend to celebrate events or concepts that are important to us. For example, society celebrates entertainment in all forms, whether your preference is film, television, sports, or anything else. Hence society’s obsession with sports and movie stars – and hence the term “celebrity.” These people are the best of the best at what they do, and since society prizes what they have to offer, they are celebrated.

However, everyone who follows the lives of celebrities knows that, like all of us, they are not perfect. Their prowess in their given arenas does not always – or even frequently – translate into role model qualities in other aspects of life. This is where Mr. Kamen’s quote is not only a truism, but also a warning of sorts. When society celebrates entertainment over all else, its celebrities – its role models – are good at entertaining, but not necessarily good at anything else.

This mantra applies not only to society at large, but to each of our lives individually. What we have celebrated in high school has determined where we are now. The star athlete has celebrated her sport, and spent countless hours honing her skills and studying ways to improve her technique. The model student has celebrated learning, and has dedicated his time to meeting and exceeding the academic expectations set before him. Many have celebrated their friends, and formed bonds so tight they may as well be family. Some have celebrated a strong work ethic, and held down various jobs during their high school career. Others have celebrated their faith, their hobbies, their community, or their musical or artistic talents. Some nights, it seems like we’re just celebrating an improved win record playing solitaire against the computer. Whatever you’ve celebrated, it has put you where you are today.

With our induction into the real world, what we choose to celebrate becomes that much more important. We’ve reached the end of one important segment of our training, and we’ve reached the threshold of adulthood in the eyes of the world. As we become a greater part of society, what we choose to celebrate now affects what society is celebrating. What we celebrate determines our paths from this point onward. Looking back over your high school career, think about what you have celebrated and where it has taken you. If you are content with where you are, you have celebrated the right things. If not, perhaps it is time to reconsider – or perhaps discover for the first time – what’s most important to you. Whatever path you choose, your priorities are ultimately for you and you alone to decide.

One of the most important forces in our high school careers has been our parents and teachers, as well as community mentors and school administration. I’d like to close with a heartfelt thank you to all of them who have dedicated so much of their time to celebrating our achievements and our potential. Erma Bombeck said, “Graduation day is tough for adults. They go to the ceremony as parents. They come home as contemporaries. After eighteen years of child-raising, they are unemployed.”

Today, we’re all celebrating the same thing. Whether we’re happy or sad to leave this school, whether we’re feeling excited, somber, or bored silly, we’re celebrating our survival. We’ve survived these past four years, and by that survival have earned the right to try our hand at surviving the world at large. Congratulations, Class of 2008, it’s time to take on the world!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salutatory Address

Much better than the speech I heard when I graduated. I know just reading your speech has cuased me to reflect right now. Hopefully it did the same for those in your audience.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette

Very nice speech, Steph. Well done! And congratulations!

And I'll extend that to the whole Class of 2008. Congratulations! You have impressed us and made us proud! Best of luck in each of your futures!
Rolling Thunder, Team 1511: The Thunder just keeps getting louder!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Every year I assess the time spent and commitment to the team and to FIRST and I think, ok - this is the last year - really. I'm getting old, my hair is getting blonder, time to step back. And then a remarkable thing like this happens: a gift freely given by a graduating senior who acknowledges the value of her education and the inspiration she has received through her experiences. Those experiences include FIRST and her role models: teachers, mentors, Dean Kamen.

And then I sigh and say, ok - one more year.

It would be a lot easier if students would quit being so magnificent. Really.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 06-02-2008 at 11:18 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Lee Drake, CEO, OS-Cubed Inc.
AKA: Lee Drake
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2006
OScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to OScubed Send a message via AIM to OScubed Send a message via MSN to OScubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLee View Post
(If this should be in chit-chat, please move it; I wasn't positive.)

My high school graduation was yesterday afternoon, and as salutatorian, I was asked to give a speech during the ceremony...
Very nicely written. You put a lot of thought AND heart into that. Your copy editing skills showed through as well - Dean ought to make you his speech writer. You have a knack for distilling your speech down into a few words while still making all your points and getting a little engagement from the audience.

Building optimal, stable, secure solutions to your business challenges.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Lee Drake, CEO, OS-Cubed Inc.
AKA: Lee Drake
Team Role: Parent

OScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond reputeOScubed has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to OScubed Send a message via AIM to OScubed Send a message via MSN to OScubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Ain't it so

Building optimal, stable, secure solutions to your business challenges.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Scott Ritchie's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Fat Man in a Little Coat
FRC #3947
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 1997
Scott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond reputeScott Ritchie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Scott Ritchie

Wow great speech.

I know that sometimes it gets hard to sit through some of Dean's talks. I think he knows he is not the so called "dynamic" speaker. On the other hand I don't know if it is a side affect of my dyslexia but about two days latter I think wow that had some profound nuggets in it. When I was a team lead I know my kids didn't always want to sit through those talks but I couldn't help thinking this is so great for them to her someone much smarter than them or me talk for awhile. How many high school students get the opportunity to hear a mini lecture from someone like Dean, Woodie, or Dave? This is all good and I commend you for listening and putting it to use.

"Before I'd get in the ring, I'd have already won or lost it on the road. The real part is won or lost somewhere far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." -- Muhammad Ali
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Alumni
AKA: Matt
FRC #2053 (TigerTronics)
Team Role: Alumni

tennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to tennispro9911

WOW, great speech. I'm valedictorian of my class, although my graduation is June 28th. Mind if I use a couple ideas from it?

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee

Thank you for the great comments everyone - they mean a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennispro9911
WOW, great speech. I'm valedictorian of my class, although my graduation is June 28th. Mind if I use a couple ideas from it?
Feel free to use some ideas, if you want.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Stephanie, it's been fun watching you the past 4 years. You have grown into a terrific speaker. I love this one!

Go out and do good things.

ps. I hope Stephanie won't mind that I share with the cd community that she did an amazing job speaking, along with another student, at the VIP luncheon at Chesapeake. She agreed to do this, under a lot of time pressure, as she was also juggling multiple responsibilities. Both these students made us very proud.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862

Last edited by RoboMom : 06-05-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added the ps
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Every year I assess the time spent and commitment to the team and to FIRST and I think, ok - this is the last year - really. I'm getting old, my hair is getting blonder, time to step back. And then a remarkable thing like this happens: a gift freely given by a graduating senior who acknowledges the value of her education and the inspiration she has received through her experiences. Those experiences include FIRST and her role models: teachers, mentors, Dean Kamen.

And then I sigh and say, ok - one more year.

A couple of years ago in Atlanta, I was chatting with Charlie Clement from FIRST. He said something that I've come to believe:

"There is no exit strategy from FIRST!"
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

Stephanie - what a terrific speech. My youngest son just graduated from Mountain Home HS (Bomb Squad) two weeks ago. Their saluatory address talked about the "rite of passage", but your speech reminds the Class of 2008 that there is much more to celebrate as we mold our careers and future. Congratulations and good luck!
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Steph,
A tear came to my eye as I read your address. You get a gold star! You have condensed your thoughts down into a workable concept and you delivered. I wish I could have been in the audience to applaud because this definetely needs applause. Good luck on your future endeavors, I am sure you will have a lot to celebrate in the future.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: