Go to Post That's co-oper-tastic. - anyheck [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Dean Kamen's Inventions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
no team

chrisj32r has a spectacular aura aboutchrisj32r has a spectacular aura about
Smile Dean's watch

Now this is no surprise. Not only does Dean have the mansion, collection of awesome cars, but supposedly he wears a flashy Omega that's worth over a reported $100,000. I have only seen a couple pics, but didn't look like $100,000, more like 20 to 30k. Doesn't surprise me though. I guess he's gotta look the part. Kinda seems a little too Hollywood, lol. I don't think it's an omega, looks more like a Movado, but who knows. Still cool though. Gotta get some watch experts on this thread Copy and paste the link below for a clear picture of the watch.

[IMG] http://flickr.com/photos/mark6mauno/553154447/ [/IMG]

Last edited by chrisj32r : 06-09-2008 at 11:52 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:36 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dean's watch

Nice! but I like Woz's Nixie watch better, because I have one too....
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Covey41 is a glorious beacon of lightCovey41 is a glorious beacon of lightCovey41 is a glorious beacon of lightCovey41 is a glorious beacon of lightCovey41 is a glorious beacon of light

You also have to remember that Dean is a pilot. You can always tell a pilot by the watch he/she wears. Especially true with military pilots!
"One day you will come to a fork in the road. And you're going to have to make a decision about what direction you want to go." Boyd raised his hand and pointed. "If you go that way you can be somebody. You will have to make compromises and you will have to turn your back on your friends. But you will be a member of the club and you will get promoted and you will get good assignments." Then Boyd raised the other hand and pointed another direction. "Or you can go that way and you can do something for your country, your Air Force and for yourself. If you decide to do something, you may not get promoted and you may not get the good assignments and you certainly will not be a favorite of your superiors. But you won't have to compromise yourself. You will be true to your friends and to yourself. And your work might make a difference. To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That's when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
no team

Hey Covey, can u tell what kind of watch it is? I think it's a movado, but if we are taking watches for pilot's, could be a breitling of some sourt.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Are we really at the point where the only useful thing we can discuss is Dean's choice in timekeeping apparel? The man has a watch. He uses it to tell time. Do we really care how much it is worth, or who made it? I would be much more interested in what he does, not what he wears.

Next thing you know, someone is going to tell me that Paris Hilton really is an important cultural figure, and we need to pay attention to her.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
no team

I look up to Dean. He's got the life everyone wants. He serves as an inspiration for us young tech geeks I think this thread is harmless. It is a cool watch. Was I so wrong in asking other people's opinions
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj32r View Post
I look up to Dean. He's got the life everyone wants. He serves as an inspiration for us young tech geeks
And that is exactly the point. It is good that you admire Dean. It is appropriate that we each have someone we can look up to, whoever that may be. Dean is an inspirational figure (and not just to young tech geeks ) and a lot of us look up to him. But he is in that position because of what he does, not because of what he wears.

We all have a finite amount of time available. Given a choice between a reasonable discussion about the accomplishments and plans of a person like Dean (or Woodie, or John Abele, or Jim Utaski, or just about any of the WFA or UFH winners that populate the leadership of the FIRST community) vs. a thread about Dean's choice in wrist watches (or socks or footwear or...), I think that the former is a more fruitful way to expend that limited time.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if he is such an admirable person, then we can best respect that by trying to emulate his actions, not his wardrobe.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that Dean wears a very good watch because it's a useful tool, not because it's a fashion statement.

Does Dave have a Mars sol watch? That might be interesting too.....
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno...I was on the fence about this watch discussion...then I thought about boys in school who carried that black pocket comb and pulled it out in the smooth fluid movement that made girls swoon as they started to comb their Elvis Presley hair. It didn't work so well with the Beatles but by then, they were just shaking their shaggy bangs. Then I remembered all the rage of cool athletic shoes that cool athletes wore and marketed.

In Mr. Kamen's situation, it is true, young geeks can idolize him and they can also respect him for what he does. I'm not sure talking about how much a time piece costs is necessarily a great way to do it. My husband wears a nice time piece and he was a pilot and he appreciates the value of good quality, craftsmanship, and accuracy. Thinking of it along those lines would take it away from the crow pecking at the shiny object aspect and lean towards the standard of excellence that your role model seems to work towards in everything he does.

That's just an .02.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

If we can transform our culture to the point where girls swoon over guys as they pull their dremel off their belt and carve some speed holes in a smooth fluid motion, I think FIRST is half way to its goal. When we get the guys to swoon over the girls for their hot moves on the 5-axis, we have won.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
ComplicatedMind
None #0006 (S.C.O.E. Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
CarterM has a spectacular aura aboutCarterM has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CarterM Send a message via Yahoo to CarterM

Dude, you also have to realize that it is summer vacation and many of us geeks are bored as this isn't the most interesting time for FIRST. Talking about Dean's stuff is just another way to socialize on Chief Delphi. At least we're talking about mechanical stuff, like his watches and cars...

I prefer my knock off watches...however that looks like sweet watch!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterM View Post
Dude, you also have to realize that it is summer vacation and many of us geeks are bored as this isn't the most interesting time for FIRST. Talking about Dean's stuff is just another way to socialize on Chief Delphi. At least we're talking about mechanical stuff, like his watches and cars...

I prefer my knock off watches...however that looks like sweet watch!
Take this slow time to go learn something new; innovate, collaborate, design...

There are many, many things that are far better for you and for the rest of us than talking about what sort of watch Dean wears.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to a watch, all I look for is three things. Is it analog? Is it accurate? Is it waterproof?

As long as it satisfies those things, I really don't care about brands or whatever. There's more important things in life to worry about.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

That's funny, my watch satisfies none of your criteria, yet it's the neatest watch in the universe
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Are we really at the point where the only useful thing we can discuss is Dean's choice in timekeeping apparel? The man has a watch. He uses it to tell time. Do we really care how much it is worth, or who made it? I would be much more interested in what he does, not what he wears.

Next thing you know, someone is going to tell me that Paris Hilton really is an important cultural figure, and we need to pay attention to her.

-dave

But Dave, Paris Hilton is the COOLEST! I wonder what in the world she's doing right about now...

Seriously though, Dave is right. Everyone that has submitted their $0.02 so far has been right. Yes, we all look up to Dean. However, what he wears, what he drives- all of these things are not important. This is one of those 'useless trappings' of sports and celebrity that FIRST should not attract no matter how much we emulate the sports model. Could you imagine Woodie endorsing Converse, or Dave as a spokesperson for Royal Creations Hawaii? It would just be ridiculous. Why don't we celebrate them for something a little more significant.

Dean is important for what he does and how he contributes to the world, and the type of watch he wears doesn't seem like any sort of significant contribution. As you can probably tell from his wardrobe, he's not exactly into the superficial things like what brand a certain object is, or how much it costs. It's functionality that matters.
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward, with whatever they ask of me.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen

Last edited by Libby K : 06-11-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: i carn't splel :P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: