OCCRA
Go to Post When I judge a robot, the single most important factor to me is whether or not the robot is rigid. - Gressa [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
ComplicatedMind
None #0006 (S.C.O.E. Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
CarterM has a spectacular aura aboutCarterM has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CarterM Send a message via Yahoo to CarterM
Re: Farewell, Chief Delphi.

No....

I've been idolizing your CAD drawings for the last couple months, I even have a bulletin board across my wall with lots of CAD drawings, many from yourself. Basically, your crazy and cool swerve drawings is what first introduced me into CAD, since then, I've "played" more on Autodesk Inventor than my previous gaming addiction (Guild Wars, Warcraft, etc...). Thanks for your inspiration! Stay in touch!
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Stay.

Edit: "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering
can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
Helen Keller (1880-1968)
To second what Jane has said, here's another good quote:
Quote:
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. -- Walt Disney

Craig,

If you choose to leave then 'they' have won. I understand the feelings (PM me for my political issues I've faced in the last 4 months) but to leave only strengthens those who do not understand what GP really is all about.

GP is a code which is lived by, not a yardstick to measure others by.

I'm sorry if some have tried to judge you (using 'GP' as their yardstick ... again PM me about this, I know how you feel) but now is the time to stand up to 'them', because it's easy to be a leader when things go right, but it shows the true mettle of a leader when you feel you are being tested by those you have respected and looked up to.

CD is a place for discussion of ideas, even ones that are not popular. If you do choose to leave I will miss your posts and your skills and FIRST will have lost a good person. It is my hope that you reconsider.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Last edited by Daniel_LaFleur : 06-15-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on guys, he's moving on with his life. Despite what some people have thought, this is healthy and good. It's not good to stay around leeching off that once great feeling of competing in HS. I wish Craig all the luck in the world and I know he will do great things and make engineering more interesting and inspire others, with or without FIRST.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM
5th Gear Developer & Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
VRC #0042 (Mostly Harmless)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Matt View Post
Oh come on guys, he's moving on with his life. Despite what some people have thought, this is healthy and good. It's not good to stay around leeching off that once great feeling of competing in HS. I wish Craig all the luck in the world and I know he will do great things and make engineering more interesting and inspire others, with or without FIRST.
Joe - When I read his swan song message, I get a different impression - Blake
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Craig, You will be missed. Your CAD drawings have helped me understand some of the most complex systems in FIRST. I've always looked up to you because you were one of the very few to challenge people here. And you did it in such a way that was professional beyond anyone I've ever met our age. You've also been one of the very few to challenge the politics of CD and FIRST in general. We all see it happen and we let it happen. I've seen many of your posts labeled by others as UN-GP and I think that they're fine and they're within the what is right on the topic. But they must be read throughly to be understood. I'm sad to see you go, you will be missed by many.
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2008, 11:48 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I hate to see you go. As stated above, I think that a break is healthy if that is what you are after. At my high school, I was the best draftsmen for two years. There was only one in the school I considered my equal in skill. You, however, have always been my goal. I would love to compete against you in CAD despite my certainty of defeat. It would just be an honor.

Secondly, I can't think of a single thing you have said that was the least bit GP and I would like to defy anyone here to find me a post worthy of a red dot.

In my opinion: If you aren't willing to get attacked for your opinions, then they aren't very strong opinions and are not worth having.

WARNING: Any of you that thinks that you can control GP by annoying any who disagree, know that there will always be another that appears where the other has left. Know, that though you might have gotten rid of Craig, I have no intention of letting his ideals leave with him.

Anyone who wants, give me red dots. I've worked hard to earn them. I've been careful to make sure my every word was kind. Making sure to make no enemies. I will not be doing this in the future. In the past I've let annoyances slide, but this is the last straw. I, for one, take your attacks upon Craig as attacks upon the community and myself. I will not forget.

You and I have never met, but I am certain that if we went to the same school, we would have been good friends.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0314
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to everyone who is relating this to dots, just a reminder, that's all they are, dots. They have no power over your attitude, personality, or beliefs.
Craig, I am going to miss you. I have always looked up to your points of view as you have brought in some interesting ones that have made me think. I wish you would stay, but if you feel this is what you need to do then this is what you need to do. Just remember, don't let that 5% of people ruin the other 95% of us.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Code Guru
AKA: Forest Immel
FRC #0885 (Green Team 885)
Team Role: Programmer

fimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond reputefimmel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to fimmel Send a message via AIM to fimmel Send a message via MSN to fimmel Send a message via Yahoo to fimmel Send a message via Skype™ to fimmel

you will be missed. your perspective on FIRST and the things that are involved with it are ones i look up to. ive been in situations where the lack of knowing what GP is has gotten to a point to where im moving on im with you in your fight and someday it will get better.

best wishes

...forest

CompTIA A+ Certified
Skills USA Silver medalist - Web Design Competition - Vermont
Best Website - BAE Regional
Follow me on Twitter: @fimmel
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
Joe - When I read his swan song message, I get a different impression - Blake
And some people need to get angry to let go.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 02:36 AM
run the trap!!!
FRC #0100 (The Wild Hat Society)
Team Role: Human Player

=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute=Martin=Taylor= has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHickman View Post
Having been kicked off a FIRST team by a student with power delusions, I hoped to be able to keep involved through CD. For a time, it worked. I was still a part of FRC, and I enjoyed it. But over time, the same issues that have bugged me for a long time, and have dug at me since I joined have not gone away, nor even diminished. There are many here who were not part of the problem, and I'd like to thank them. I could name names, but it wouldn't prove anything, nor further any goal.

I don't know about this quitting CD business, kinda actually makes sense, seeing how you’re going off to college (I should probably do the same lol )...

But I think your real gripe is not with CD at all but with 114. Ever since they kicked you off you've been kind of upset and its shown in your posts (probably why people negative repped you).

I'm pretty good friends with some of the people on your team so I have a rough idea of why you got kicked off. For the sake of privacy I won't share that here, but it involved some sort of a fight over robot design/construction...

If there's one thing I've learned from being the "head engineer" for my team its "never give up." People will constantly find problems with everything you design and build - sometimes going so far as to ridicule you. Even worse, sometimes physics finds problems with your designs , and people are like “I told you so!” But guess what. That's what engineering is all about. If nobody pointed out the problems, the robot wouldn't work.

Take criticism as advice, listen to people's ideas (even if they're really stupid ideas), be patient, synthesize ideas, and never, EVER, GIVE UP!

-Martin T.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)

Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Anyone who wants, give me red dots. I've worked hard to earn them. I've been careful to make sure my every word was kind.

Making sure to make no enemies.

I will not be doing this in the future. In the past I've let annoyances slide, but this is the last straw. I, for one, take your attacks upon Craig as attacks upon the community and myself. I will not forget.
I know for a fact that many people do not see eye to eye with me (take my views on GP), and I couldn't have said it any better.

You will always make enemies whenever you post because not everyone agrees on the same things.

Don't change for anyone.

Pavan.
2005-2008: FRC118, Robonauts - Alumni
National Director of Philanthropy - Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.
1745 - 118 - ΔΕΨ
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Dave View Post
You will always make enemies whenever you post because not everyone agrees on the same thing.
I'm not of the belief that this is the intent or purpose of Chief Delphi. It is a place for sharing knowledge and information, perspectives, and humor. In the process, it has created community.

Sharing opinions can present different perspectives, viewpoints, and experiences. The opinions can be presented clearly and appropriately and the threads do not have to spin themselves into ugly exchanges and rudeness. Each poster can bring respect to the topic, whether agreeing with it or not. And, people can refrain from posting and keep their thoughts to themselves if they have nothing of value to contribute or are intent on flaming. That can take a little will power and self-control but that's ok, too.

If I receive red reps, I consider the source, decide if I I feel I merited them, and move on. I do that with green ones as well.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 06-16-2008 at 08:11 AM.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Dave View Post
Don't change for anyone.
I'm confused by all the "Don't change" posts in this thread.
Maybe "change" is exactly what is called for in this situation. Either self-change, or a change of scenery.

You either need to:
-Learn to deal with the conflicts you're in.
-Change to avoid the conflicts.
-Move on to somewhere where the way you are will cause less conflict.

Either way, some sort of change is important. Craig has seemingly chosen the 3rd option.

Social interactions sometimes result in conflict. Some of these are positive conflicts, some of them are negative conflicts. "I'm sick of fighting with people so I'm leaving" is not a constructive solution; it is just a way of playing a martyr.

It is possible that none of this is your fault. If that is the case, then great... move on. The rest of us will shrug, and life will go on.

A wise man once told me: "If you continually find yourself in negative conflict with people, they probably aren't the problem, you are; it is probably a good idea to change the way you approach your social interactions & the way you communicate."

Something you are doing is causing these conflicts and maybe some self reflection could help you understand why. This is an opportunity for self-improvement.

I don't believe "beliefs" are usually the problem. It is rare that someone makes enemies of enlightened people because of their beliefs. Most of us are capable of "live and let live" philosophies. Disagreements happen, but they are often very constructive. Negative conflict (in my experience) stems primarily from problems of communication.

You don't necessarily need to change your beliefs for the benefit of others, but perhaps you can change the way you express them.

If you find that you can't fit into the community, and you won't change to fit, then maybe leaving is the correct solution. Maybe you will find some place where you do fit in.

Good Luck with whatever you're doing.

-John

PS - A farewell POST is just a cry for attention; not a farewell.
You don't want to leave, and I bet you're probably reading this right now.

What sort of attention do you want? If you'd like to message me I'll be happy to talk things over with you.

Last edited by JVN : 06-16-2008 at 11:33 AM.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
The Skunkfather
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post

A wise man once told me: "If you continually find yourself in negative conflict with people, they probably aren't the problem, you are; it is probably a good idea to change the way you approach your social interactions & the way you communicate."

I think something I noticed about all the bad relationships and situations I have been in my life is that the ONLY thing that remains constant in them is
MY PRESENCE...

Thanks for the insight John.
Las Vegas 07 WINNER..(w/ 1425/254)...Seattle 08 WINNER (w/ 2046/949).. Oregon 09 WINNER (w/1318/2635)SEA 10 RCA , Spokane 12 WINNER (w/2122/4082) and RCA--- Central Washington 13 WINNER (w/1425/753)--Seattle 13 WINNER (w/948/492) & RCA --Spokane 13 WINNER (w/2471/4125) Spokane 14 - DCA --Auburn 14 - WINNER (w1318/4960) --District CMP 14 WINNER (w 1318/2907, District CMA, CMP 14 Newton Finalist w 971/341/3147

#45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
I'm confused by all the "Don't change" posts in this thread.
Maybe "change" is exactly what is called for in this situation. Either self-change, or a change of scenery.

You either need to:
-Learn to deal with the conflicts you're in.
-Change to avoid the conflicts.
-Move on to somewhere where the way you are will cause less conflict.

Either way, some sort of change is important. Craig has seemingly chosen the 3rd option.

Social interactions sometimes result in conflict. Some of these are positive conflicts, some of them are negative conflicts. "I'm sick of fighting with people so I'm leaving" is not a constructive solution; it is just a way of playing a martyr.

It is possible that none of this is your fault. If that is the case, then great... move on. The rest of us will shrug, and life will go on.

Something you are doing is causing these conflicts and maybe some self reflection could help you understand why. This is an opportunity for self-improvement.

I don't believe "beliefs" are usually the problem. It is rare that someone makes enemies of enlightened people because of their beliefs. Most of us are capable of "live and let live" philosophies. Disagreements happen, but they are often very constructive. Negative conflict (in my experience) stems primarily from problems of communication.

You don't necessarily need to change your beliefs for the benefit of others, but perhaps you can change the way you express them.

If you find that you can't fit into the community, and you won't change to fit, then maybe leaving is the correct solution. Maybe you will find some place where you do fit in.

Good Luck with whatever you're doing.

-John

PS - A farewell POST is just a cry for attention; not a farewell.
You don't want to leave, and I bet you're probably reading this right now.

What sort of attention do you want? If you'd like to message me I'll be happy to talk things over with you.
Awesome Post. Really, everyone should read it entirely.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: