OCCRA
Go to Post Where before there was boredom and lack of understanding, suddenly I saw why competitions would be fun. Not to sound corny or anything, but it brought a side out of me that I used to never show people in public. I danced, cheered, screamed, and had a blast. - DevilChild [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
AKA: Kevin Swift
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
klrswift has a spectacular aura aboutklrswift has a spectacular aura aboutklrswift has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to klrswift
Re: "I'm not that smart"

Joining a FIRST team is the beginning of "smart," not the culmination. You can walk in to the room not knowing a screwdriver from a hacksaw, and walk out knowing how to build a robot. Sometimes you just have to show them the robot and how it works, and hopefully they will see that they are smarter than they think.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
FRC #0469
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Don Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Don Wright Send a message via Yahoo to Don Wright

I would ask back "Why do you think you aren't smart enough?"

And I bet whatever excuse they give, you could then turn it into "Would you like to learn how to do that?" and then tell them they could by joining the team...

i.e.

Kid: "I'm not that smart"
me: "Why do you think you aren't smart enough?"
kid: "Because I don't even know how to use a computer."
me: "Would you like to learn how to do that?"
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGracie View Post
Our team had a booth set up at our 4H fair, trying to get attention from kids who might want to join. Some of us were driving around the '06 and '08 robot, and the other half were building a new, vex type robot just for the fun of it.
Well, a few boys seemed pretty interested, they were watching us drive and build, and when I asked him if he was interested in joining the team, he said "I'm not that smart."
That's not the first time I've had that response, I've been getting it a lot lately. Does anyone else have this problem, and more importantly, how do we dispell the myth that FIRST and the robotics teams in general are only for the genius and the tech geek?
I've had this said to me before as well.

My typical response is:
"Niether was I when I started. "
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that encouraging responses to that statement are a great way to get an intimidated student interested in the program.

When confronted with such a reaction to your robotics team, it is crucial to remember that this is not just another set of hands in the shop you are training and it is not just another name to add to your roster. This is a person, an individual who holds a great deal of potential and brings with them a wealth of both talent and experience.

The reason I offer this warning is that a few solutions mentioned so far in this thread allude to the future - "you will get better. You will do great. You will be an excellent member of the team." It is very possible and likely that this student's experiences contain discouragement, possibly even ridicule, with regard to academic performance and activities. They are claiming "I am not smart enough" because they might think they are incapable of learning this material.

Give the future to them, not later, but right now.

Why wait? Really take a moment of your time to show them - teach them - an aspect of your robot. Another student could do it as well, and build a bond that will last when they join the team. Let them take the controls in their hands, or feel the drive train and see how the wheels move, and the role each motor plays. Teach them something small to demonstrate your integrity when you say that you will prove to them that they are smart enough.

Team 461 for life!

Last edited by Eugenia Gabrielov : 07-23-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Clarify one sentence
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not that "smart" neither.
But it has never stopped me from sticking with the program and finding my place. Never once have I ever felt unwelcome.
When people think of smart they think of book smart. And to mostly succeed here you do need book smarts but there is a place for people who are creative, who are resourceful, who are imaginative, who are organized, who are efficient, and who are good with people. There are plenty of talents to bring to the table that will bring your team success that goes beyond book smarts.
If you are willing to put forth a sincere effort, stick to path and at the very least try then you will find a place here. I truly believe that. You just got to want to belong first and that has nothing to do with how "smart" you are.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
FRC #2437 (Lancer Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Lancer Robotics is a glorious beacon of lightLancer Robotics is a glorious beacon of lightLancer Robotics is a glorious beacon of lightLancer Robotics is a glorious beacon of lightLancer Robotics is a glorious beacon of light

As a rookie team this past season I took our school coordinator to vidit one of the most experienced team in out State. (only had 3 at the time) and they let us go over their past 7 robots and take pictures and ask 1000s of questions.

When we got in the car to return home she looked at me and said "can our girls do that? It looks so complicated". this is a similar reaction that I get from potential students. I tell them the same thing I told our coordinator, don't look at the final product, look at the individual parts. it is easy to make a gusset and fasten it to a piece of metal, or easy to conect a wire to a motor.

Just like an airplane home builder says, look at the individual step not the whole project or you will become over whelmed.

Our team members who thought they could only design tee shirts are now looking at designing the robot for next year. It is not brains but desire that matters.

These are just my ramblings but i hate hearing anyone say "I am not that smart" As Alexandre Kemurdjian said "Everyone is capable of doing extraordinary things in their own way"
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

I have gotten that a lot. I request to someone that they join our team and they say that they aren't smart enough. I tell them "I'm not smart either...heck...I just asked you to join."

I'm just kidding. But seriously, I do get that a lot. I usually tell them the truth, "I hardly knew anything when I started." The way I like to represent my team, is by saying that we are a team that teaches engineering, programming etc. This way, I think kids feel less intimidated, because they are being taught instead of just applying skills that they already (or don't already) have. Of course it doesn't always work, but it is a good place to start.

Last edited by sgreco : 07-23-2008 at 05:05 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like the word, potential.
Quote:
So if everyone is about the same then the response should be "you are already smart enough, you just need to focus on something. Join the team and we will help you learn how to do that."
I think along these lines as well. My response would be "Sure you are! You just haven't realized it yet."
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

I would always tell people that it isn't a matter of "smart", more a matter of passion. Basically that even if you THINK you lack the natural abilities that some people have you can more than make up for them with a willingness to learn. (story at end of post)

Also, a good point to always make, FIRST is about teamwork. I know very few people who would be capable of taking a FRC robot from design through to competition all alone. Yet I know TONS of "smart" people. You don't need to know how everything is done, you need to know what you have an interest in.

An interesting story about someone who feels they are not so smart:

My father is a man who often tells us he has never read a whole book in his life. I believe him, he is slow at reading. He is horrible with computers, and frankly gets confused using a TV. What my father IS good at is math, not so much the calculus math, he hasn't taken much past algebra. But he is very at using numbers to make a point. By looking at numbers he was able to help us keep our school alive. Here is a man who claims he is not very smart but using what he does have, and what he knows, he was able to make a HUGE difference.

Another point about my father, despite not understanding computers, he follows several tech stocks and surprises me with his understanding of what they make on a pretty regular basis.

I tell this story because here is a person who doesn't think they are smart (like your young man) who has made a massive difference for at least one school. Brains aren't everything, in fact they count for less than nothing. What matters is using your abilities, whatever they may be, to improve yourself and those around you. Oh and for reference, I think he is one of the smartest people I know.

Sorry for the essay

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien1247 View Post
Sorry for the essay
Andrew,
Stories that give examples of the caliber yours just did are what make ChiefDelphi such a special place. It sounds like your father is a man with common sense - a quality that is sometimes underestimated and never should be.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Miranda: Design and Scouting
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

MGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MGoelz Send a message via Yahoo to MGoelz
Teach them to be smart.

I get this response often. Even sitting at lunch, talking to some friends, somebody will say, "I'm not smart enough to do that."

That's when I like to tell stories about how certain members of our team joined, thinking it was all fun and games and we only want to win, who now take it seriously, still have a lot of fun, but have learned so much it has taken them down a completely different path. It has lead to different careers.

I tell them my own story. Sure, I may be a little "book smart," but I knew next to nothing about robotics when I joined. The beauty was in the learning. I too have always felt welcome. Robotics is more of a family to me than my own. It changed me and the way I think. I want to be an engineer now. Had I not been given the opportunity to be on this team, I never would have truly desired to be an engineer, let alone know the intricacies of designing and manufacturing something.

And, as has been mentioned, taking the time to teach them something small right then and there, will make a huge difference in what they think they can do. It did with me. There were a few people who took the time to show me and teach me, and I have and always will admire and respect them for that. I try to do the same, because I am living proof that it works.

It simply takes convincing that they are capable. Convincing and the desire of the interested student to learn, and the willingness of veteren members to welcome them and teach them.
"The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving engineering problems."
— N. W. Dougherty
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

"I'm not that smart."
"Maybe not yet, that is why we run training in the fall."

Pretend like s/he used the word "knowledgeable" instead of "smart", and gloss over the semantics. I use this trick quite often, with decent success.

For whatever reason, "smarts" and "knowledge" seem to have swapped roles in our culture and our egos. Being smart holds more weight in our egos and socially, but knowledge is what actually matters. Convince the potential team member that they will become smarter by joining, and they'll likely come.

It isn't quite lying, because both of you are using the word wrong in the same manner... or something.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

This reminds me of a time from IRI last weekend:

I was head ref. At the end of each match, the refs have to total up the penalties, account for the bonus balls, allow the teams on the field, and communicate scoring adjustments to the scoring table. During the match or after the match, I had all of the penalties and bonus points written on a pad of paper. I would refer to this paper when talking to the scorekeeper.

I asked the field reset people to leave the trackballs on the overpass alone, and not put up any other trackballs, until the next match is randomized. My reason for this is that I like to double check the trackball bonus points as I tell the scoring table how many counted... so, I want to see those balls up there (no more, no less).

The field reset people asked me, "why do you want us to wait?"

My response was "I'm not that smart! Leave those balls up there in case I forgot to write them down."

I'm smart enough to realize that I sometimes have non-smart moments.

-----

Smart is a relative term. Everyone is smart about something, but still dense about others. Once people realize that they have potential to be smart at anything, nothing can stop them.

Andy B.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Back to earth once again
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennispro9911 View Post
Its not how much knowledge you have, its how much you want to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
then the response should be "you are already smart enough, you just need to focus on something. Join the team and we will help you learn how to do that."
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrswift View Post
Joining a FIRST team is the beginning of "smart," not the culmination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer Robotics View Post
It is not brains but desire that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
Smart is a relative term. Everyone is smart about something, but still dense about others. Once people realize that they have potential to be smart at anything, nothing can stop them.
Holy Cow, this thread has more WOW quotes than any I have read in several years.

My answer would "Smart is as smart does", which is very much like what the quotes above are saying.

Don

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
Also visit TARPN to see what's up!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien1247 View Post
I would always tell people that it isn't a matter of "smart", more a matter of passion.
You are absolutely right. I love it. You hit the nail right on the head. It is totally a matter of passion. Nothing makes FIRST more fun than it already is, like someone who is dedicated and has fun doing what they are doing. A dedicated team is a happy team. I am never happier than when I am in the lab with a bunch of dedicated enthusiastic team members. Usually dedicated, happy and enthusiastic team members get the most work done. Sometimes one person with a true passion for what they are doing can enhance the atmosphere of the team.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: