Go to Post I guess I should read the manual. - r_towle [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
How is the Witholding Allowance at events being enforced?

Just wondering with all the talk of the details of the Witholding Allowance (whether you agree with all of them or not) if anyone has heard or seen anywhere I may have missed as of right now, how exactly it is being enforced at events.

Please don't discuss any specific flaws or advantages of the Witholding Allowance as you see them here (there are other threads for that), just post if you have seen if there is any official word as to how it is being enforced.

Thanks!

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How is the Witholding Allowance at events being enforced?

Here's a reference to Bill's Blog on the subject, just for more cannon fodder.
http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2009...-regional.html

What I've heard for the DC regional is that they want everyone to put their parts in a separate box to be weighed, and that they will check and weigh everyone's allowance. The details may change though, and the squeemish part is that we'll have to wait until next Thursday to see for sure.
I’m talking about the real fundamentals of being an empowered, self-directed human being. Creativity. Curiosity. Resilience to distraction. Patience with others. And to make these all possible: self-reliance — an unswerving willingness to take responsibility for your life...

How to Make Trillions of Dollars

Want to be a better cook? Do 5 recipes from Plenty on 5 weeknights after work. Eat the leftovers for lunch.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
Here's a reference to Bill's Blog on the subject, just for more cannon fodder.
http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2009...-regional.html

What I've heard for the DC regional is that they want everyone to put their parts in a separate box to be weighed, and that they will check and weigh everyone's allowance. The details may change though, and the squeemish part is that we'll have to wait until next Thursday to see for sure.
I'll have to look at the link when I get home as blogspot webpages are blocked at work (a seperate irritating issue of the season alltogether for understanding or even getting official news from FIRST which I'm sure affects more folks than myself) but thank you Jesse for the link.

I'm sure I'll be back posting about this later when I can read the blog.

If someone can post what is on that site here that would be great btw.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Moving on to bigger/better things?
AKA: Formely Anne Bergeron
no team (Chesapeake Regional)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Anne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Anne Shade

That's funny because the DC RD just told me that they were just going to trust that the teams aren't bringing in the kitchen sink...

Plus, the procedure on Bill's Blog isn't the load in procedure we are being told to use at the DC regional (sent last week).
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM
VP, ingenuityNE (NE FIRST)
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Michael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Shade View Post
That's funny because the DC RD just told me that they were just going to trust that the teams aren't bringing in the kitchen sink...
At the CT Regional we will be weighing any team that does in fact bring in a kitchen sink.
Chair, FRC Connecticut Regional Planning Committee (2005-2011)
FIRST Senior Mentor (CT) (2005-2007) | Mentor, FRC 175 Buzz Robotics (1998-2006): 2002 Championship Chairman's Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sperber View Post
At the CT Regional we will be weighing any team that does in fact bring in a kitchen sink.
At the Chesapeake Regional, we will be weighing any team that brings in a kitchen sink (or other major appliances) or an extra robot...

[Although an exception might be made as I see 303 is coming to the Yard this year, and I remember they had a pretty impressive Fridge ...]
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862

Last edited by RoboMom : 02-20-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: feeling silly
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek

Any team bringing a kitchen sink, any major appliance or a spare robot to New Jersey or Pittsburgh will be weighed. Now I just have to find a scale big enough to fit a team...

Seriously! I expect to follow what I understand to be the intent of <R36> (allow teams more time to work with their control systems) and just look out for anyone trying to bring in greater than half a robot. Or a kitchen sink.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Anne, Mike, Jenny & Pete, I thank you very much so for being light-hearted about this situation!

I'm not sure if the 4 of you have read some of the comments in the other Witholding Allowance threads, but it seemed to have gotten a lot of people (not necessarily whole teams) a bit riled up. (Big surprise right?? )

Anyways, my hope is that every regional is as flexible as you all are being here & that teams don't get too worked up about some of the (relatively) crazy details in this clause this year & are understanding as well.

Also, if the 4 of you have any influence in regards to FIRST releasing some info on this in a future pre-regional event E-Mail blast about this situation to "calm the masses" so to speak, I'm sure a lot of people would be very grateful!

Thanks again!

Sincerely
-Elgin Clock

Last edited by Elgin Clock : 02-20-2009 at 11:46 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

We will be bringing in a large 32lb assembly. We plan on taking it straight to the inspectors to have it weighed and OK'd.

As long as teams are proactive like this I don't see a big problem occurring.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know. It seems to me to be a fairly difficult rule to enforce, just as it always has been. Everyone knows there have been dishonest teams in the past who've brought parts built after build season into a competition and gotten away with it. Allowing 40lbs just makes their past practices closer to being legal, but if they're over the 40lbs, they'll still find a way to hide it. I think its a rule that is likely to go relatively unenforced.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
We will be bringing in a large 32lb assembly. We plan on taking it straight to the inspectors to have it weighed and OK'd.

As long as teams are proactive like this I don't see a big problem occurring.
This is a grounded, calm approach to problem solving. Thanks for the input, Indy.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
FRC #0910

johnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond repute

Dear jane,please don't go to the battery thread. You seem to be a very level headed ,nice person. Right now is not the time for ," rules are rules". I don't want to see you get lambasted. We need to vent.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
Dear jane,please don't go to the battery thread. You seem to be a very level headed ,nice person. Right now is not the time for ," rules are rules". I don't want to see you get lambasted. We need to vent.
John,
Vent all you want. If I get lambasted, I can take it. Thank you for your concern, though.

P.S. - sorry John, I had already posted in one of the threads before reading your kind warning. I just noticed that.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 02-20-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: P.S.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's Blog
At the Regional events, teams will be able to bring in hand tools during early uncrating (when you take the robot out of its crate and plug in your batteries). Then hand carry in the rest of your supplies in one trip during event check-in. We will be checking. Robot parts are not permitted to be brought in during crate opening. Please be sure to pack your 40 pounds of withholding so it may be easily identified and weighed if necessary.
Oh, and if that kitchen sink is COTS, are you still going to weigh it?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
FRC #1244 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
Booksy will become famous soon enoughBooksy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
Oh, and if that kitchen sink is COTS, are you still going to weigh it?
If I washed my hands in it is it still considered COTS? I packed it back up!
water would be hard to build

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: