OCCRA
Go to Post All I ask is that you stay with FIRST. It's a great place to be - Wayne Doenges [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
FRC #3525 (The Nuts and Bolts of Fury)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr_D_Mentor is on a distinguished road
Rule G22

At the Suffield Shake Down scrimmage the officials added a requirement that the super cell that was exchanged had to be exactly opposite the position on the rack where the empty cell was placed. I would like to know if any other scrimmages had this rule imposed. Also, do you think it's a real rule?
The Nuts & Bolts of Fury, FIRST Team #3525
Team MAX, FIRST Team #1071
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2009, 12:18 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: Rule G22

I can't find anything saying that it's an official rule. However, it is reasonable for it to be a guideline to make it easier for the refs. If you aren't sure, Q&A. Now. This is something that could bite teams during Week 1. It will affect play, at least for a bit. Right now, it's not enforceable by the rules. Either the rules have to change (1 update chance to do that) or the requirement must leave.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
FRC #3525 (The Nuts and Bolts of Fury)

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr_D_Mentor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'd like to ask First, but I'm still waiting for my account to be activated.

My main concern is that if this becomes an official rule, it will put unnecessary stress on the PS in the corner who only has 20 seconds to decide what to do with the potential game changing super cells.
The Nuts & Bolts of Fury, FIRST Team #3525
Team MAX, FIRST Team #1071
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Alumni turned Mentor
AKA: Branden Gunn
FRC #4761

Rookie Year: 1996
engunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud ofengunneer has much to be proud of

I'm not sure why this is a concern. The super cell is on the rack. A robot delivers an empty cell. The PS puts the EC on the rack, grabs the SC right next to it, and then enters the SC into play. It should be a 2-3 second operation, tops.

Putting the EC on the rack opposite the SC is an easy way to verify that the SC was legally traded.
1998 - National Chairman's Award and Woodie Flowers Award (FRC23, Mike Bastoni ) | 2007 - PNW SF (488, 1595) | 2008 - Oregon Chairman's Award - Seattle #2 Seed, SF (488, 1696) | 2009 - Oregon #1 Seed, Winners (1983, 2635) - Seattle SF (945, 2865) - Galileo #2 Seed, SF (973, 25) | 2012 Midwest Finalists (111, 71) | 2014 RIDE Winners (thanks 78, 125)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by engunneer View Post
I'm not sure why this is a concern. The super cell is on the rack. A robot delivers an empty cell. The PS puts the EC on the rack, grabs the SC right next to it, and then enters the SC into play. It should be a 2-3 second operation, tops.

Putting the EC on the rack opposite the SC is an easy way to verify that the SC was legally traded.
2-3 seconds, IF that EC comes in in the last 20 seconds.

That's what I'm thinking happened: the officials thought that this would be an easy way to confirm that the appropriate number of Super Cells were in play from a given Fueling Station. However, in the process, they created a new rule. That isn't appropriate. You gotta put something like that in an update!

I would encourage any team who is penalized for throwing the wrong Super Cell at competitions (not throwing before the appropriate time, throwing the wrong cell) to challenge the ruling. In, of course, a graciously professional manner. If the refs can't show you the rule, then according to the GDC, they can't give you a penalty (though cards may be in order--also not called for here.) This is unless Tuesday's update contains a new restriction.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Its fairly obvious that if there is one EC and one SC left on the rack that someone has swapped them, why do they need to be right next to each other? As long as there are at least 2 game pieces on the rack there should be no problem whether or not you swapped a EC on the left side for the SC on the right side...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeifermann View Post
Its fairly obvious that if there is one EC and one SC left on the rack that someone has swapped them, why do they need to be right next to each other? As long as there are at least 2 game pieces on the rack there should be no problem whether or not you swapped a EC on the left side for the SC on the right side...
Exactly! But, for whatever reason, officials chose to use a rule that isn't a rule for this. Good practice for the PS? Maybe. But if it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Volunteer
AKA: Ruth Toomey
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
ReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ReaperGoat Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperGoat

Team 1735 stopped by the Suffield Shakedown to watch a few matches and see how the game played out, and I distinctly remember one match where they gave a penalty for taking the wrong SC, only to rescind it a couple minutes later after finding out that someone had switched the balls!

I really hope that this doesn't become an official rule, because it hypothetically becomes very easy for anyone to move the balls (on accident or not) in the commotion during the reset (unless officials are vigilant in keeping an eye on it)

Former 1735 Mentor (2008, 2009, 2010)
Former 190 mentor/mascot (2007)

Author of http://www.robotreporter.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
AKA: Bryan
FRC #2338 (Gear it Forward)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
bigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bigbeezy

i dont really see how this is a problem. and I do believe i heard this rule at kickoff where inorder to use a supercell there had to b an emptycell on the poll adjacent to it.

And i dont see how there could be confusion with moving supercells. IF empty cell on rack next to supercell AND time is less than 20 seconds THEN supercell can enter play OTHERWISE it stays on rack.

Why would this not be a rule? I mean theres 4 supercells on ur alliance, 2 per station. if you have an empty cell then u can switch. I mean it would be very confusing if this wern't a rule cause alliances and refs would have to be keeping track of empty/super cells from different parts of the field.

EDIT: O i guess i misunderstood what happened. but once you put an EC on the rack y would u move it? and if something like that did happen i guess the human player should have the awareness to put it back before the game is over.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeezy View Post
i dont really see how this is a problem. and I do believe i heard this rule at kickoff where inorder to use a supercell there had to b an emptycell on the poll adjacent to it.
I said this last year, but it bears repeating: I don't care what whoever says at Kickoff, if it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules. If it isn't in the rules, it isn't a rule. If it's enforced as a rule, EVERY team that gets penalized has grounds for a challenge. And they've only got 1 update to make it a rule/not a rule.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM

bigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I said this last year, but it bears repeating: I don't care what whoever says at Kickoff, if it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules. If it isn't in the rules, it isn't a rule. If it's enforced as a rule, EVERY team that gets penalized has grounds for a challenge. And they've only got 1 update to make it a rule/not a rule.
i know but seeing as i havn't been apart of build season and havn't read the rules as thoroughly as usual i just figured it was in there. my bad

but still dont see how this is a big deal

Driver -- Team 1592 Bionic Tigers -- 2005-2008
Mentor -- Team 2338 Gear it Forward -- 2013-
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Volunteer
AKA: Ruth Toomey
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
ReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud ofReaperGoat has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ReaperGoat Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeezy View Post
i know but seeing as i havn't been apart of build season and havn't read the rules as thoroughly as usual i just figured it was in there. my bad

but still dont see how this is a big deal
so, the way that they were calling these penalties at the Shakedown, they were 20pts a pop. for just grabbing the "wrong" Super Cell.

Former 1735 Mentor (2008, 2009, 2010)
Former 190 mentor/mascot (2007)

Author of http://www.robotreporter.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperGoat View Post
so, the way that they were calling these penalties at the Shakedown, they were 20pts a pop. for just grabbing the "wrong" Super Cell.
IMHO thats no different then a driver accidentally picking up 2 EC's with the robot. Part of that person's job is to not do that, so if they get a penalty for not paying attention then they get a penalty.

now if they were nice they would let you be able to fix it before the match was over, like if theres an EC on one rack and u do grab through the wrong one but then fix it before the match is over then it wouldnt b penalized. but thats if they are nice, and if they actually make this a rule.

Driver -- Team 1592 Bionic Tigers -- 2005-2008
Mentor -- Team 2338 Gear it Forward -- 2013-
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
FRC #0744 (744 Shark Attack)

Rookie Year: 2008
AlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it mentioned this in the video, however, I haven't seen a rule.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperGoat View Post
Were there any challenges?

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: