OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is not about building robots, it is about building people; the robots are just a good way to get the people there. - JamesBrown [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
pic: Andy Baker (0045)

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
All Your Base Are Belong to FIRST
AKA: Avery-John Domingo
FRC #2445 (RoboKAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
kapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to beholdkapolavery is a splendid one to behold
Re: pic: Andy Baker (0045)

Only now do I realize that you were the head judge at the Hawaii Regional, (if I'm not mistaken on account of your hair being much shorter as of recently)
But I really wished I had the chance to chat a bit..gain some bit (or maybe a whole lot) of inpspiration, but you were prolly busy with the officiating.
Just wanted to say it's amazing all the work you do (as well as others) for FIRST and thanks for giving me the hands down best high school experience any teenager could have.

Last edited by kapolavery : 04-29-2009 at 05:07 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
AKA: Tarik Deland
FRC #1528 (Monroe Trojan Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
MrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to all

hey andy it's tarik we met at the cass tech district and just wanted to say love the mullet lol but your still amazing your team should come to the MARC event in june held at monroe high school
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Woodie Flowers Award
Mentor
AKA: John Novak
FRC #0016 (Bomb Squad)

Rookie Year: 1996
JDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond reputeJDNovak has a reputation beyond repute

Nice picture Andy. Especially since it was in our corner of the pits with our team and banner behind you. I think that is my arm next to you. Too bad the robot wasn't turned around so the pigtail was in the background.

That was a special time in my life because of the struggle to keep the team alive that year. I remember talking with you maybe for the first time as it was the first year I couldn't hide behind the robot all the time. You really have been an inspiration to me.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Wow... I need a new Who Am I pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapolavery View Post
Only now do I realize that you were the head judge at the Hawaii Regional, (if I'm not mistaken on account of your hair being much shorter as of recently)
But I really wished I had the chance to chat a bit..gain some bit (or maybe a whole lot) of inpspiration, but you were prolly busy with the officiating.
Just wanted to say it's amazing all the work you do (as well as others) for FIRST and thanks for giving me the hands down best high school experience any teenager could have.
Thank you. I had a wonderful time in Hawaii this year, and was honored to serve as the head ref. Teams were wonderful and gracious the whole weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixIt2719 View Post
hey andy it's tarik we met at the cass tech district and just wanted to say love the mullet lol but your still amazing your team should come to the MARC event in june held at monroe high school
Hey, Tarik... Mullet!! dangit, it's not short in the front! 2005 was a tough year for me. Dad passed away, Mark and I were starting AndyMark, I was still working for Delphi, my brothers and I sold my Dad's business... lots of stuff happening. My rebellion was to not getting a haircut for an entire year. My high school friends who showed up at my dad's funeral were surprised by my "hippy" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNovak View Post
Nice picture Andy. Especially since it was in our corner of the pits with our team and banner behind you. I think that is my arm next to you. Too bad the robot wasn't turned around so the pigtail was in the background.

That was a special time in my life because of the struggle to keep the team alive that year. I remember talking with you maybe for the first time as it was the first year I couldn't hide behind the robot all the time. You really have been an inspiration to me.
John, Thank you... I really look forward to getting to know you and Meridith much better this summer and next year. One significant thing I have learned in FIRST is that EVERY TEAM has struggles. I am sure that you know this... but I often hear from other teams who think that these prominent teams (old teams, Hall of Fame teams, etc.) have things easy every year. I think that the more we old mentors share with regard to our struggles, the more we help these younger teams. Team 16 has a wonderful story of perseverance and inspiration that all teams should hear.

... now to find that new pic.

Andy
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
Wow... I need a new Who Am I pic.
... now to find that new pic.
Andy
I have several of you that might be "helpful"

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

ooo ooo, I vote for this one!

It just is so... so...

um, stunning.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Rich,
We need one of those "special" ones! Wink Wink
www.wildstang.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
One significant thing I have learned in FIRST is that EVERY TEAM has struggles. I am sure that you know this... but I often hear from other teams who think that these prominent teams (old teams, Hall of Fame teams, etc.) have things easy every year. I think that the more we old mentors share with regard to our struggles, the more we help these younger teams. Team 16 has a wonderful story of perseverance and inspiration that all teams should hear.
Out of curiosity is there a place where these inspiring stories of perseverance and inspiration are told? Pop-up book format is preferred but I suppose a wall of text could suffice. Im sure that the teams have their stories on their own website but perhaps a central repository of them would be inspirational to those of us who have teams going through hard times right now and are starting to feel a little discouraged.

By the way, 2005 must have been the year for Andrews to have long hair. Nice pic Andy.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Out of curiosity is there a place where these inspiring stories of perseverance and inspiration are told? Pop-up book format is preferred but I suppose a wall of text could suffice. Im sure that the teams have their stories on their own website but perhaps a central repository of them would be inspirational to those of us who have teams going through hard times right now and are starting to feel a little discouraged.
Here's a start: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10931&highlight=inspiration+hards hip

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
ooo ooo, I vote for this one!
Or http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/33218
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
AKA: Tarik Deland
FRC #1528 (Monroe Trojan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
MrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to allMrFixIt2719 is a name known to all

Quote( Hey, Tarik... Mullet!! dangit, it's not short in the front! 2005 was a tough year for me. Dad passed away, Mark and I were starting AndyMark, I was still working for Delphi, my brothers and I sold my Dad's business... lots of stuff happening. My rebellion was to not getting a haircut for an entire year. My high school friends who showed up at my dad's funeral were surprised by my "hippy" look. )

well i didn't mean it in a bad way lol and i'm sorry to hear about your dad i didn't know and i'm sorry but i think you are a very cool and understanding guy so your good in my books

p.s. your did good with andy mark our team buys from you all the time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: