OCCRA
Go to Post Be afraid. Be very, very, graciously afraid. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Scouting
AKA: Joey
FRC #0280 (TnT)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
JoeyTNT280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTNT280
Re: Cardboard Boating?

As far as I know any paint is allowed and any non rubber based glue is allowed but no caulk.

Programming
Scouting
Pnuematics

TnT 280 Robotics
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Why wait for the last 20?
AKA: Henry B. Sick
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
henryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to henryBsick

Cardboard regatta, excellent; here is what I have done in the past for a similar competition. It only allowed cardboard and tape. The tape could only extend beyond a seam 1".

My method of choice was to obtain 3 large soda-syrup boxes and tape those together for a base. These boxes are very strong as they carry very heavy bags of syrup. Traditionally they are at least two layers thick in all stress points with a heavy application of glue to hold them together. With these three boxes taped together in line, I cut cross sections of the profile I wanted to achieve and taped them all down the length of the big, three box, center structure. This effectively produced the shape of the hull. From there some crafty taping and placement of 2 outer layers of cardboard around this ribbed structure gave the craft its final shape.

PROTIP: By scoring the entire outer layer of hull, I was allowed to tape the entire surface and still abide by the rules. The boat was perfectly waterproof. HOWEVER my first year I let the cardboard hull in the water 'naked' and it did fine for the duration of its journey: approximately 1 minute.

That's it in a nutshell. Hope it helps.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
iPirate Poster
AKA: Norman
FRC #1528 (iPirates)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
Stormnnormn is a jewel in the roughStormnnormn is a jewel in the roughStormnnormn is a jewel in the roughStormnnormn is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormnnormn

Wow... no duct tape?
There goes plans A thru Y...

BTW, most sites I have looked at recommend a flat or really gently sloped bottom, otherwise it risks getting tipped over.

Are there any tapes you are allowed to use? Paper tape, Package tape, scotch tape, and masking tape have not been mentioned...
I like some of the other peoples idea, so look at them too. However, it looks like a few contain duck/duct tape.

Also, if you can use paint, you probably should...

(Sorry about the segmented post, I did not want to post more than once)
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
Bruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to behold

One word EPOXY I suppose you could call that 2 words since it is a 2 part adhesive. Look to some of the boatbuilding plan sites for ideas. Cardboard is not thatmuch different than the plywood that most wooden boats are buldt from. search on "clarkcraft" or "Glen-L" and just "boat plans".
Bruce
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

I'm pretty sure Chop Shop (team 166) has a cardboard regatta every year. You may want to talk to them.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
AKA: Paul Fleming
FRC #2228 (Cougar Tech)

Rookie Year: 2007
Mentor007 is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to research the Waters & Sons Paper Boat Company in Troy NY. They manufactured boats made entirely of paper. The key trick was to use a single sheet of paper for the outer hull skin so that no seams existed. I believe they used varnish for waterproofing. Also the paper was molded to allow for a keel rib and gunwale ribs.

Waters came up with the concept in 1867. In 1874 on of his canoes made the trip from Troy, NY down the Eastern coast to Florida.

Interestingly, he also used to technique to build domes for observatories. RPI, West Point, Beloit, Columbia, and Brooklyn Polytechnic all had such domes. Syracuse University was about to get one when Waters accidently set fire to it while working with a torch, burning down his factory and ending his paper boat building business.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I believe
AKA: Foxy
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud ofJosh Fox has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to Josh Fox

Team RUSH is holding our second annual cardboard boat regatta this year, and it's actually one of our team's largest fundraisers. If you're interested in details about anything feel free to pm me or just ask in this thread and I'll respond when i can.

2014 Archimedes Finalist - 27 | 33 | 334 | 175
2014 Michigan State Champions - 27 | 33 | 314
2014 Michigan State Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Chairman's Award

Team RUSH Alum and Mentor, EWCP Member, all views expressed are solely my own unless explicitly stated
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

I have never built a boat out of cardboard, but I would make the following recommendations:
1. Use several layers of cardboard glued together with a waterproof glue to make stiff pieces of "wood". If you need curved pieces of "wood", you can make a jig and glue the pieces together in the jig so that when the glue dries, the "wood" will have the proper shape.
2. After the boat is built and glued together, paint the inside and outside with a thin layer of the glue. This should waterproof the cardboard. Paint the boat afterward to further protect the glue and waterproofing.

Good luck. Sounds like fun. And don't forget to be safe!
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: