OCCRA
Go to Post It's ok to be tired. That's what CD Mods are for. - Jessica Boucher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > NI LabVIEW
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Classmate PC - Front Panel

I have to agree with Joe Ross, I was actually surprised we didnt use a PC and some sort of IO board last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Kidding or not, the rules of this forum disallow discussion of cracking. Better to nip it in the bud earlier rather than later.
Of interesting note, the rules forbid discussion of cracking, they do not however forbid discussion of how secure a system is. Should Keehun desire to understand why it would be impractical to crack the encryption on a PDF. Perhaps he would be interested in the EngineYard contest (which has ended but proves a good point) Baring that, perhaps he would be interested in a small challenge which in no way violates an laws and is only an intellectual exercise (if he is feel free to PM me)

Sorry for the off topic-ness of my post, but I believe that should a student have an interest in security they should be taught about it rather than use any self taught skills maliciously.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM
College Mentor
AKA: Trent Borman
FRC #3928 (Team Neutrino)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Trent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Trent B Send a message via Yahoo to Trent B Send a message via Skype™ to Trent B

Keehun was more likely than not joking though agreeable that without some obvious indicator of such sarcasm it is good to point out the unprofessional style of such a statement. Needless to say the internet is a poor medium for putting across sarcasm without methods such as <sarcasm> </sarcasm>

Back on topic, in regards to the classroom PC I am sort of on the fence in my speculation of what it may be used for.

In regards to being used as a drivers station it seems like they may want to given the considerable amount of fried drivers stations last year.

That being said, they would have to implement a method of providing teams with analog and digital I/Os, or they could simply cut them. Which may very well happen but I am skeptical that they would deprive teams of a resource with which a team could construct a HUD display. Granted such a device could provide members with a screen based HUD display, but it gets rid of the bright LED system that many teams relied on for its simplicity of being able to be seen out of the corner of one's eye.

Video would have to be altered heavily as many teams have discovered to acquire a steady stream of images. Unless it could be made more compact while retaining quality and not wasting too many CPU cycles on such an endeavor (though we have significantly more power than the IFI system ever let us have)

More likely I think it may be used for the purpose of a heads up display for the co-pilot or the person who stands behind the two operators (forgetting the name of that position). This could provide a large amount of data for teams and allow them to adapt their strategy based on a wide variety of data coming in. If the 3rd person notices an indication of a large amount of slipping they could modify their code next round to improve traction. (We have Traction Control in cars to prevent slipping from happening and sometimes the systems go off without the drivers even noticing)

That does run into the predicament of installing labview on such a device, I remember installing it on a 1.8ghz Pentium M of Keehun's and it was a bit sluggish to install and run.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Team Captain
AKA: Keehun Nam
FRC #2502 (EP Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

keehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to keehun

Bill, I was totally being sarcastic. Sorry about that.
2009: Quarter Finalist (MN 10,000 Lakes)
2009: GM Industrial Award (MN 10,000 Lakes)
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Team Captain
AKA: Keehun Nam
FRC #2502 (EP Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

keehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond reputekeehun has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to keehun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent B View Post
Needless to say the internet is a poor medium for putting across sarcasm without methods such as <sarcasm> </sarcasm>
Yeah. They say 90% of interaction/communication is human gestures... Sorry Billfred, by saying it out blatantly, I'd hope that one would take it as a joke. I usually put a wink but I don't know why I didn't that time.
2009: Quarter Finalist (MN 10,000 Lakes)
2009: GM Industrial Award (MN 10,000 Lakes)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
More likely I think it may be used for the purpose of a heads up display for the co-pilot or the person who stands behind the two operators (forgetting the name of that position).
Field Coach or this year Commander.

One interesting idea I hadn't thought of: What if only the Commander could see out the window, but the Drivers could look at a camera display?
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:51 PM
College Mentor
AKA: Trent Borman
FRC #3928 (Team Neutrino)

Trent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Trent B Send a message via Yahoo to Trent B Send a message via Skype™ to Trent B

A few thoughts, how would they implement this. unless commander stands somehow infront and the drivers are behind a board or commander is elevated or something.

Intrigues me though, would have to solve the video bandwidth issues though. Could be cool in a game that requires a lot of precision.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Electronics/programming/design
AKA: Aaron Osmer
FRC #3529 (ausTIN CANs)

Rookie Year: 2007
daltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to daltore Send a message via MSN to daltore Send a message via Yahoo to daltore Send a message via Skype™ to daltore

The first thing that strikes me about using a laptop as a drivers station instead of the blue box is that you can use any computer device to control the robot (not just standard USB joystick interfaces). This means you could set the robot up as a servo, using a mouse on a scale model of the field, or something similar.

The specific example I'd be most excited about is something I've been thinking about on and off over the past couple years; the Emotiv headset. The only problem there being the speed of the computer you're allowed to use.

If they do decide to use the Classmate as the drivers station, I wouldn't be too worried about I/O. There are lots of breakout boards for computer I/O (only prohibition being cost, but this is FIRST, and as has been mentioned, NI is one of the vendors of such products). And if they don't, you can always get a cheap USB joystick from Goodwill, crack it open, and tear all the wires off the board. Voila, instant I/O expansion board. If you get a gamepad, you might even have some digital outs between the LED's and the vibrating motors.

I think it would be a very interesting use of the computer if they blacked out all the windows in front of the drivers and you had to use the camera
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 01:53 PM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk

Oh great, look what you just did. The GDC will probably find ways to use this to torture teams in 2011. I hope you're happy now.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Electronics/programming/design
AKA: Aaron Osmer
FRC #3529 (ausTIN CANs)

daltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to daltore Send a message via MSN to daltore Send a message via Yahoo to daltore Send a message via Skype™ to daltore

Please, they probably already know what the game is going to be. And trust me, there is nothing sadistic that I can think of that they haven't already. Every year, it's the same discussion:

"Last year was so hard! There's no POSSIBLE way they could come up with something harder this year."

They always do.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
A few thoughts, how would they implement this. unless commander stands somehow infront and the drivers are behind a board or commander is elevated or something.

Intrigues me though, would have to solve the video bandwidth issues though. Could be cool in a game that requires a lot of precision.
Tinted glasses, maybe? Or a hood or something. It would be really cool but probably will never happen.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
+1 is BIGGER than -1
AKA: Joshua Manela
FRC #2586 (Fondy Fire)

Rookie Year: 2009
jmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to behold

just some food for thought, maybe the drive coach will be the only one to look at the pc for the first 30 seconds or so, but he cannot see the field.
||2009|| Entrepeneurship Award, QF - Traverse City | Rookie All Star, QF - Detroit | Highest Rookie Seed, Rookie All Star, QF - Michigan State Championship | Finalist - MARC ||2010|| Engineering Inspiration, Website Award, SF- Kettering | Judges Award, Website Award, SF - Detroit | Website Award, Winner, Michigan State Champ //Thank you 469 and 1918!! | Finalist - MARC ||2011|| Engineering Inspiration, Website - Kettering | Entrepreneurship, Website, Finalist - Waterford | Website - MSC
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tk View Post
Oh great, look what you just did. The GDC will probably find ways to use this to torture teams in 2011. I hope you're happy now.
That much time? You underestimate the GDC pretty badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltore View Post
Please, they probably already know what the game is going to be. And trust me, there is nothing sadistic that I can think of that they haven't already. Every year, it's the same discussion:

"Last year was so hard! There's no POSSIBLE way they could come up with something harder this year."

They always do.
Oh? I've got an idea that I'm not sure they've come up with... No, I'm not going to post it. Don't need them getting more evil ideas now, do we?

But, they probably don't know fully what the game is going to be. I'm pretty sure (from Bill's Blog again) that they have a general idea, but I'm willing to guess that they don't have specifics (like point values) in place yet.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team

synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltore View Post

They always do.
Haha, I know. I was just messing around.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Optimist Alumnus
AKA: Nathan
FRC #1189 (Gearheads)

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
Oh? I've got an idea that I'm not sure they've come up with... No, I'm not going to post it. Don't need them getting more evil ideas now, do we?
Give the GDC ideas? How can you think that a bad thing?
If our ideas really do influence the GDC's decisions it means that the potential to manipulate the game through reverse psychology could be practically infinite. (insert evil maniacal laughter here).
Or they might already have the next five games already figured out, and are laughing at how far behind we are. Gosh the GDC have a fun job ^_^
Year 4: Learned about Promise

I came to robotics for the robot, but stayed for the people

2012/13 Melancholic retiree and wistful dreamer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: