OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is a worthwhile program to be involved in as an Adult mentor. But for me, it does bring its share of personal conflict. ..... Cuz' you know when Jan 4/5 comes round' I'll be itchin to go gang busters again. I'll never learn - PMGRACER [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
You Know You're Proud To Be A FIRSTer When...

This thread is for the proud moments that have occurred. The ones that help you understand that you 'get it'. These can be from the distant past, the recent past, the present, or even about the future. They can be about something you have done, realized, or helped with. They can be about your observations of others or even the impact of seeing something someone has done or is doing.

It's kind of like the popular thread - You Know You've Overdosed On FIRST When... only different.

--
I have been proud to be a FIRSTer when I can share stories of students, mentors, and teams that I've come to know, with my 81 year old mother, and she waits with eyes sparkling, to hear 'just one more story'.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 08-26-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: link
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Currently teamless
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Know You're Proud To Be A FIRSTer When...

I'm proud to be a FIRSTer when I just started becoming a source of knowledge and information thanks to the amazing mentors on Chief Delphi and on my own team.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #0955 (CV Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Fe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud of

When you know that there are 3 students that didn't make the picture...

When you can still bring the "I" and your "A game"...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:41 AM
FRC #2673 (Tenacious Technicians)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2008
vincefitzgerald is a jewel in the roughvincefitzgerald is a jewel in the roughvincefitzgerald is a jewel in the roughvincefitzgerald is a jewel in the rough

when i wear my safety goggles all year round
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Precision Driver Extraordinaire
AKA: Richard Raitt
FRC #1793 (Pilots)

Rookie Year: 2006
NorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond reputeNorviewsVeteran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to NorviewsVeteran

you know you're going to meet someone important, so you put on your robotics team shirt.
I was in Scouts but I wanted out by the third meeting. I was in TSA, but I quit after a couple of weeks. I don't go camping with the SCA anymore. I was in taekwondo but I had to leave because I got sick.
I joined FIRST and stuck with it. It was nice enough to return the favor.

Last edited by NorviewsVeteran : 08-29-2009 at 10:57 AM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Optimist Alumnus
AKA: Nathan
FRC #1189 (Gearheads)

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

When people call you a nerd or a geek and you thank them for the compliment
Year 4: Learned about Promise

I came to robotics for the robot, but stayed for the people

2012/13 Melancholic retiree and wistful dreamer
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

When you wear this years team shirt so often its starting to fade.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
436f6465206765656b
AKA: Matt Soucy
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop 166)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
demosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to beholddemosthenes2k8 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Yahoo to demosthenes2k8 Send a message via Skype™ to demosthenes2k8

when you realize that, for every major event, (including the surprise party people threw for me today), you're wearing a team shirt.

GSR Dean's List Finalist 2011
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Alum, former programmer&co-captain
FRC #2472 (The Centurions)

RoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant future

Good idea for a thread. Nice thinking!

when local schools actually count FIRST teams as a varsity sport/team

I'm not slacking, my code's compiling
...and I'm using LabVIEW
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)

Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMaster View Post
Good idea for a thread. Nice thinking!

when local schools actually count FIRST teams as a varsity sport/team
Ohh man, I'm jealous.

When you're proud that you've managed to make friends on other teams, and that those friendships have affected yourself and your team in more ways than you thought possible.
...and when you know that the friendships that you form in FIRST will last a lifetime, and you can't say that of some of your non-FIRST friends.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Sometimes I do neat stuff.
AKA: Katie Widen
no team

Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Katie_UPS

when you realize FIRST is one of the solutions to your school district's problems.
Team Neutrino
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team

Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

an award a team gave you hypes the team up better then a FIRST given award.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_UPS View Post
when you realize FIRST is one of the solutions to your school district's problems.
The possibilities are endless.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Alum, former programmer&co-captain
FRC #2472 (The Centurions)

RoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant future

Oh, c'mon I'd think this thread would be jumping by now!

...when a member states that he's learned more about IT/Media through FIRST than through any other way.

I'm not slacking, my code's compiling
...and I'm using LabVIEW
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
With Upmost Efficiency
AKA: Eric DelSanto
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pioneers)

Rookie Year: 2007
delsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to delsaner

My web design teacher gave a small class speech on how the beginning FIRSTers may be the head of big companies or an interviewer in college. When a person goes to interview for that job or college, the head may to talk about past experiences about their life in FIRST, and make it more likely to get that job or get into that college. Although that was the general idea of the speech and I can't remember much more, it made me proud to be a FIRSTer.

Eric DelSanto
H.E.R.E. Representative
Stevens Institute of Technology - Class of 2016 - BE/ME Mechanical Engineering
Concentration: Robotics, Mechatronics

[2008-2014]: FRC 1676 - The Pascack Pi-oneers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: