OCCRA
Go to Post What no one knows is that I’m actually wearing fishnet stockings under this gown… as soon as they finish taking all of these darn photos I’m going to show Dave and Amanda who really has the best legs in FIRST!!! - MissInformation [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Daves Game Hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Game hint? "Game hint!" Did someone say "game hint?" Oooo-o-o-ohh! Guess it is time to get to work....
. . .

OK, i didn't want to hijack the thread where Dave posted this, but i think this is a real hint. I know that Dave is into Mind Mapping (where you related thoughts all over the place and come up with something brilliant - Al Gore does this stuff all the time).

So, take this hint above and lets turn it into the 2010 game idea.

"Game Hint, Game Hint, Did someone say Game Hint". That sounds like a direct quote from one of those adult beverage commercials.

The commercial is for a product that features a silver train and snow.

This year, we had a playing field that was like ice (relates to the snow above). And what has even less traction than that? TRAIN TRACKS, a direct link to the commercial above that Dave is mimicking in his response.

I also know that AndyMark (who was part of the wheel supply last year), is located in an industrial park area that, to get to, you have to cross what - RAILROAD TRACKS. Yet another link to the train idea.

And the way trains work and transfer power to their wheels is an awesome yet simple engineering feat.

So what is the game - Robots have to drive around the field doing something (to be revealed at the next game hint) and then get themselves onto a set of railroad tracks that are hidden in a snow like material. The robot will have to be able to drive on the playing field AND the train tracks to be effective.

And you thought rigolith was tough.

PS - Happy Halloween

(back to work, lunch is over)

ow to
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: Daves Game Hint

Daves hints are never so straight forward.

The real hint is in the 3 dots at the end, which is a morse code 's'.

We'll get the rest of the hint over the next few weeks
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 11:49 AM
The Mad Chemist
FRC #2791
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
yodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
OK, i didn't want to hijack the thread where Dave posted this, but i think this is a real hint. I know that Dave is into Mind Mapping (where you related thoughts all over the place and come up with something brilliant - Al Gore does this stuff all the time).

"Game Hint, Game Hint, Did someone say Game Hint". That sounds like a direct quote from one of those adult beverage commercials.

The commercial is for a product that features a silver train and snow.

This year, we had a playing field that was like ice (relates to the snow above). And what has even less traction than that? TRAIN TRACKS, a direct link to the commercial above that Dave is mimicking in his response.

I also know that AndyMark (who was part of the wheel supply last year), is located in an industrial park area that, to get to, you have to cross what - RAILROAD TRACKS. Yet another link to the train idea.

And the way trains work and transfer power to their wheels is an awesome yet simple engineering feat.

So what is the game - Robots have to drive around the field doing something (to be revealed at the next game hint) and then get themselves onto a set of railroad tracks that are hidden in a snow like material. The robot will have to be able to drive on the playing field AND the train tracks to be effective.

And you thought rigolith was tough.

PS - Happy Halloween

(back to work, lunch is over)

ow to
Oh dear...Isn't it a bit early to get our minds spinning with notions of game hints from Dave?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post

[blah blah blah]
Chris -

You are seriously out to screw up people's Halloween weekend, aren't you?

Fun, isn't it? Welcome to the team!

-dave

/
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!

Last edited by dlavery : 10-30-2009 at 12:09 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodameister View Post
Oh dear...Isn't it a bit early to get our minds spinning with notions of game hints from Dave?
It's just short of November so we're right on time. I haven't burst out laughing yet - so it's not in full swing.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

First, Chris I am now mad at you. VERY mad See how mad I am?

Second, Dave is a jerk. Nice, funny guy, but he is a total jerk. He knows full well that anything he does out of the norm (ie changing his customary dot to two dots or three dots or even a slash) Will spark a response. Don't feed the troll people! If we ignore him maybe he will stop teasing us.

Third, I am going to fan the flames, not so much because I care but more because I am curious how long this thread will take to reach 100 posts. Look at Dave's last couple posts, see if there is a pattern. The Morse code seems likeliest but if it doesn't spell out anything don't forget to check multiple encodings or anything else.

(I mean these comments in the nicest possible way. Just to clear up any potential confusion, I really do think Dave and Chris are wonderful people)

-../---/-./-/..-./././-../-/...././-../.-/..-/.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...

Last edited by Andrew Schreiber : 10-30-2009 at 12:29 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
The Mad Chemist
FRC #2791
Team Role: Teacher

yodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant futureyodameister has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
It's just short of November so we're right on time. I haven't burst out laughing yet - so it's not in full swing.
While that is true, I don't want to use the processor space in my mind entertaining thoughts of the new game...yet, there are already too many applications running at once. Brain initiating shut-down sequence.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute

In a few weeks you'll discover that Dave's secret message is none other than "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Years of Thunder!
AKA: Mentor and Volunteer
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
Josh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Goodman has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how the second I hit college I stopped caring about game hints. I think I've taken on the lazy attitude of "The new game will come eventually, just like every year." Unless of course this year the Grinch steals the 2010 Game.

//
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Lead Mentor, Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Chris, this is just what we need: a thread dedicated to speculating that a game hint is imbedded in dlavery's post suggesting it's time to create a game hint.

Fortunately, the clocks turn back an hour this weekend so we have even more time to explore this topic.
2004 AZ: Semifinals, GM Industrial Design; SoCal: Winners, Leadership in Controls; Championship: Galileo #2 seed, Q-finals; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finalist, RadioShack Controls; SVR: Winners, Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Championship: Archimedes Semifinals; IRI: Finalist
2007 LA: Finalist; San Diego: Q-finals; CalGames: Finalist || 2008 San Diego: Q-finals; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finalist
2009 LA: Semifinals; Las Vegas: Q-finals; IRI: #1 Seed, Finalist || 2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finalist
2011 SD: Q-finals; LA: Q-finals || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finalist || 2014 IE: Q-finals, LA: Finalist
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I believe a different post Dave has made is a game hint. If I knew where it was I'd link to it. But I basically read it, thought "that really doesn't make any sense", then gasped and started wondering if it was a hint...
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

I bet you that Dave sits at his computer, calls his co-workers over and says this, "Hey guys! Watch this. Let me start adding dots and say odd phrases and see how many kids go crazy over it!"

Watch. There probably all sitting in his office laughing their heads off.

Dave, you have power over us, and some of us have school and work to focus on, DON'T GET US DISTRACTED!!!! please Geez I can't wait until some real game hints come out.

2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award and CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 + Silver Star Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, Dave who?

-.. .- ...- . / .-- .... --- ..--..

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Goodman View Post
It's amazing how the second I hit college I stopped caring about game hints. I think I've taken on the lazy attitude of "The new game will come eventually, just like every year." Unless of course this year the Grinch steals the 2010 Game.

//
Welcome to adulthood.
Remember, patience is your friend. Denial is your shield. Bitter disinterest your salve. Your endless hours of crushing workload will be your strength.
Good luck, soldier.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
rtfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
Welcome to adulthood.
Remember, patience is your friend. Denial is your shield. Bitter disinterest your salve. Your endless hours of crushing workload will be your strength.
Good luck, soldier.
I am not sure if I should spotlight or run in fear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: