OCCRA
Go to Post Redfoo is actually a really awesome guy. He discussed the future of engineering and talked about C programming with our software team. - SM987 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:25 PM
no team

stargirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Gracious Professionalism or NOT?

Hi There Everyone! I had a question.

Do you think putting your teams awards on the back of team shirts and sweaters against gracious perfesionalism or is it just being arrogant?

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
rtfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gracious Professionalism or NOT?

I see no problem with it. You won the awards fair and square. I do not feel arrogant with my signature.
You might be thought desperate if you are reaching back a few years to fill the spot.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Team President 2009-2010
FRC #2344 (Saunders Droid Factory)
Team Role: Leadership

NYanks312 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NYanks312

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfgnow View Post
I see no problem with it. You won the awards fair and square. I do not feel arrogant with my signature.
You might be thought desperate if you are reaching back a few years to fill the spot.
I agree with you, however signature and team's shirts/sweatshirts are different. Your just showing off here on Chief Delphi and not at the regional. However, I feel like you deserve the right to feel proud of your team's accomplishments!

2009 NYC Regional Chairman's Award
2009 NYC Regional Finalist Award
2009 NJ Regional Champion
2008 NYC Rookies All-Stars Award
2008 NYC Highest Seeded Rookies Award
2008 CT Rookies Inspiration Award
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Sunny
FRC #5283
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl View Post

Do you think putting your teams awards on the back of team shirts and sweaters against gracious perfesionalism or is it just being arrogant?

Thanks!
I certainly see no problem with it.

I just have to question the design though. At competition, shirts should generally be eye catchy and get their point across quickly. Generally a team shirt has sponsors on the back or something that can be picked up via a quick glance...I'm not sure if past awards are the best thing that should go back there.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

If it's a big award, by all means go for it. If it's a team-presented award, probably not the best idea. I've seen it done by some very professional teams, on top of their sponsor lists.

After winning the 2005 Championship, my team made hoodies the next year with our team logo on the front and "2005 FIRST World Champions" on the back.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
VEXpro Engineer
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Our team makes "IRI" shirts each year with a saying on the front, either relating to the season or just nifty, and on the back is a graphic including every award and competition we've won.

Teams have a right to be proud of winning awards, they wouldnt hand out trophies if they didnt mean anything.

VEX Robotics Mechanical Engineer
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Team President 2009-2010
FRC #2344 (Saunders Droid Factory)
Team Role: Leadership

NYanks312 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NYanks312

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
If it's a big award, by all means go for it. If it's a team-presented award, probably not the best idea. I've seen it done by some very professional teams, on top of their sponsor lists.

After winning the 2005 Championship, my team made hoodies the next year with our team logo on the front and "2005 FIRST World Champions" on the back.
Just out of curiosity,
Our team has won the Regional Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist Award, Regional Champions, Rookies All-Stars Award, Highest Seeded Rookies Award and the Rookies Inspiration Award; all in the past 2 years. Would it be against gracious professionalism to have these awards posted on our team's sweatshirts?

2009 NYC Regional Chairman's Award
2009 NYC Regional Finalist Award
2009 NJ Regional Champion
2008 NYC Rookies All-Stars Award
2008 NYC Highest Seeded Rookies Award
2008 CT Rookies Inspiration Award
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYanks312 View Post
Just out of curiosity,
Our team has won the Regional Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist Award, Regional Champions, Rookies All-Stars Award, Highest Seeded Rookies Award and the Rookies Inspiration Award; all in the past 2 years. Would it be against gracious professionalism to have these awards posted on our team's sweatshirts?
FIRST awards are something to be excited about, and many teams show off their awards on their shirts, even awards of years and years ago. It's self-promotion and a good feeling to know you have some hardware in your trophy case. Some teams can be inspired by an award, and some are inspired by teams who have long lists of awards.

The only time showing off awards on shirts/in robot pits/on websites and so on would be un-GP, is if you brag about it to the point where it becomes distracting.

Awards given to you by teams are generally not something you show off on a T-shirt, but all FIRST awards are fair game.

Last edited by Tetraman : 11-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYanks312 View Post
Just out of curiosity,
No it is not against "GP." Gracious Professionalism is not a tool to measure the actions of others by. Feel free to do so if you are proud of your accomplishments.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to style, usually if you have to ask the question, "Is it in good taste to do ________." then the answer is no.

Of course a team has earned their awards and has a right to be recognized for that success. There is nothing wrong, per se, with listing the awards whenever and where ever desired. It is definitely within GP to list awards and celebrate past successes... on a .sig on a shirt, in your pit area, etc.

But the fact that you felt the need to ask the question suggests that you might be just a little uncomfortable with the idea of splaying a long list of awards on your team shirts for... as you put it... risk of appearing arrogant.

Why take the risk?

Remember that it's not what is on the outside of the shirt that matters, it's what is on the inside. Awards don't make your team good... its what you did to earn those awards that make your team good. If you keep doing whatever you did to win the awards, then you'll find that listing the awards is really kind of redundant.

Jason

P.S. Those of you who have listed awards on your shirts, please note... I'm not saying it is wrong or arrogant. You can bet that in the highly unlikely event that we walk off Einstein this year in a barrage of confetti this year, that our team will be doing something to mark the accomplishment... I'm just saying that if you wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with a list of awards on your shirt, then don't put them there! There's lots of other good places to list awards.

Last edited by dtengineering : 11-08-2009 at 05:40 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

"Against gracious professionalism" is a very odd phrase to me. I don't think your question is one that can be answered and every time I see one of these discussions I wonder if it's really that hard for people to internalize what Woodie means/has meant. If you're spending your time wondering what/how other might view you/your team/its actions I think you're missing the point altogether.

I've ranted on about this before so I'll stay brief here. "GP" isn't a gauge, it's a target. It's more about culture and feel than anything else.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 11-09-2009 at 07:43 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to make a simple observation many seem to have overlooked. Those shirts are going to be worn by newcomers who didn't earn those awards. I see no problem with displaying your own accomplishments proudly. However, I would suggest making it so that it is worn by those who accomplished it. I would not feel comfortable wearing a shirt listing accomplishments I wasn't a part of.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
I would like to make a simple observation many seem to have overlooked. Those shirts are going to be worn by newcomers who didn't earn those awards. I see no problem with displaying your own accomplishments proudly. However, I would suggest making it so that it is worn by those who accomplished it. I would not feel comfortable wearing a shirt listing accomplishments I wasn't a part of.
Rather than seeing these as accomplishments of certain people, I prefer to view them as accomplishments of a team. Every member who was ever on said team contributed something to the team and deserves to celebrate the team's accomplishments.

A recent discussion on whether or not current team members deserve to be recognized for past team accomplishments, specifically the FIRST Hall of Fame, might be a good resource for more discussion on the topic.

Last edited by NickE : 11-08-2009 at 07:15 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl View Post

Thanks!
This is why I severely dislike the term gracious professionalism more and more because people have decided to use it as a measuring tool to judge others.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
This is why I severely dislike the term gracious professionalism more and more because people have decided to use it as a measuring tool to judge others.
GP is overused and maligned.

There is a very simple way to interpret the intent of Woodie when he invented it. Compete fiercely, help others compete against yourself, and do it with honor and ethics.

To learn by example just look at the egregious behaviour of a couple of things that happened just in the past few weeks in sports. Both of these were covered extensively by ESPN.

1) the Georgia / Florida eye-gouging incident. The level of acceptance on both teams and the coaches is stunning.
2) the New Mexico / BYU women's soccer incident. Seems to be resolved.

Those events were absolutely nauseating.

Avoiding that type of behaviour and encouraging teams to help others is the intent of GP.

Putting the stuff on the shirts isn't something I'd recommend but there is no great harm. It isn't really a GP issue but one of decorum.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: