Go to Post Yes, I think we can all agree that bad people suck. - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Before we start - PLEASE read the Manual!

Before the season starts, we would like to take a moment and pass along a plea from practically all of the game designers, FRC leaders, lead mentors, lead team engineers, competition inspectors, referees, judges, and (most likely) your team mates.

Once it is released PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read the FRC Manual!

The Manual is packed full of important information that pretty much everyone on the team will need to know. While not everyone will need to know every chapter intimately (e.g. not everyone on the team will be involved with shipping the robot, so not all of them will need to study the "Robot Transportation" chapter), there are a few sections that all will need to know and understand. Everyone should be sure to read – and probably re-read –the "Arena," "Game," "Robot," and "Tournament" chapters.

If you do not become reasonably familiar with this material, you will have endless problems during the season. These can range from wasting your and other people’s time repeatedly asking questions that are clearly addressed in the Manual, to showing up at a competition with an illegal robot and not being allowed to compete. I can pretty much guarantee that if you get caught up in a rules violation during the season, trying to use "but I didn't read the rules, so I didn't know that" as an excuse absolutely will not work with the referees or inspectors at the competition events.

As has been mentioned so many times, a big part of FIRST is about exposing students to the standards and practices of the professional world. To do this many teams structure their operations to mimic the organization and procedures of a professional engineering project. The Manual is the "requirements document" for your project. In a professional environment, EVERYONE on a project is required to know the requirements, be conversant with the documentation, and be able to extract information from them. Those skills are critical and expected. As a member of your team, practicing those skills will be fundamental to your ability to positively contribute to the success of your team. As an entire team, this practice will be critical to your – and your alliance partners - success at the competitions.

The Manual is your friend. Read it. Know it. Use it.

-dave

-.--
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM
FRC #1261 (Roblions)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
Tanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to behold
Re: Before we start - PLEASE read the Manual!

*spys something at the end* omg - morse code

Anywho, good post. I shall share with the rest of my team.

-Tanner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have Dave's post "stickied" at the very top of the forum until about Jan 17?

Please?

"Who is John Galt?"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Can we have Dave's post "stickied" at the very top of the forum until about Jan 17?

Please?
Done. And co-signed.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP IRI? SCRIW IV (48,749.9 miles)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post

Please?
or Feb 17th or so? maybe April 17th or so?

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

Thanks for posting this Dave and thanks for making it a Sticky Billfred.

As one of the frequent rules question responders I can definitely say that most rules questions I answer I pull right out of the manual. While I am more than happy to answer the questions, as it helps me drill the manual into my head, it would usually be easier and faster to look up the answer yourself.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
CAD, Mechanical, Alumni, Mentor
AKA: Scott
FRC #0810 (Mechanical Bulls)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
scottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to scottydoh Send a message via Yahoo to scottydoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
*spys something at the end* omg - morse code

Anywho, good post. I shall share with the rest of my team.

-Tanner
I noticed the same thing, and it seems as though he's been including this little addition in a lot of his posts lately...but, Im probably thinking into it way too much...

And, this is indeed a very important post!
2009 Xerox Creativity (SBPLI)
Mechanical Bulls; Student Leader 2006-2008, Mentor 2009-Present
New York Institute of Technology - Architecture '13 | Design Portfolio:www.coroflot.com/sdifiore
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
FRCTop25.com
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread might be the most linked to when build season comes along.

Instead of RTFM, we should just link this thread.
2014-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 3015 and 3044
2014-Tech Valley Regional Chairman's Award
2012-Buckeye Regional Champions With 1507 and 3015
2012-Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2012-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 3015 and 4124
2011-Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2011-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 1126 and 3157
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I have this as sticky note on my desktop. I'm going to blow in up a tad bit and print it out; then hang it in the meeting room.

Email - rionatkinson@gmail.com
Skype - Rion.Atkinson

Last edited by Rion Atkinson : 12-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The Wingman is coming for you!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

And in some cases rules are unclear and need resolving from the GDC. Those questions should be posted in the FIRST Forums- http://forums.usfirst.org/index.php?

2011 GSR Rookie Allstar
2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award Winners
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award!!!
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 and Silver Star Winners
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans award winners
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award Winners
VeloXion BAE Systems WillSeal IBM Veolia & Windham High School
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Is winter over yet?
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
And in some cases rules are unclear and need resolving from the GDC. Those questions should be posted in the FIRST Forums- http://forums.usfirst.org/index.php?
...and NOT HERE, since Chief Delphi is NOT the official forum of FIRST.

--

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
...and NOT HERE, since Chief Delphi is NOT the official forum of FIRST.

--
However, if you do post a reply to a question here, please quote the manual section in your reply. It saves time for everyone and keeps Dave's request to "Read the manual" upfront in everyone's mind.
www.wildstang.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Your bot can score but can it dance
AKA: CJ
FRC #4451 (The Burning Magnetos)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
hipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to hipsterjr

Speaking of manual, I thought the encrypted manual was available for download, but I can't find it. I just don't want to try and download it on Saturday when the entire FRC community will be to.
2008 Florida Regional Finalist Thanks 179 & 69
2007 Palmetto Regional winners Thanks 1319 & 832
2005 Palmetto Chairmens Winner
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterjr View Post
Speaking of manual, I thought the encrypted manual was available for download, but I can't find it. I just don't want to try and download it on Saturday when the entire FRC community will be to.
Any time now. They will put out an email blast and I'm sure the email will be posted here minutes after it happens.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of simple reccommendations to the team mentors reading this thread to help drive home why to read the manual to your teams:

1.) Put together a 10-15 question basic quiz for your teams to take in the first week of build. take the questions from the robot, game and arena sections of the manual primarily and give your team a pop quiz. - It will make you think about the rules more and encourage your students to read them if they are ashamed of poor performance on the quiz.

2.) Make simple lists while reading the rules as a team on day one.
Some examples:
a) How do we score points...
b) What could we be penalized for...
c) What can we do in auto mode...
d) What should the human player/robocoach/etc do during the game.

Doing things like this will help you think through the rules before asking questions and will be invaluble when forming a strategy.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: