Go to Post This place is much brighter than most institutions I have seen. It also seems to be lacking straight jackets which I think is a mistake for many of us. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
Have You Trained Your Human Player Today?

Amidst all the talk of teasers, kickers and programming I see very minimal discussion about the role of the human player in this years game. While it's true that unlike last year's game the human player cannot win you games they most certainly can lose you games. Especially if they are given the task of handling the trident. From the looks of it you don't have to be athletic like you had to be last year but you need to be efficient and cool under pressure to do that job well.
It amazed me last year how grossly unprepared so many teams were regarding their human players last year with poorly trained human players who had no ideas about the rules of the game and what to do.
I can already visualize the worst case scenario where the human player fumbles the ball out of the trident and has to chase it down with a back log of balls rapidly piling up. Out of panic they simply grab the balls and finger roll it into the ball return like George Gervin in order to get the job done. I would not be surprised to witness this happening once or twice in the first week of regionals.
I impore teams that after you have built your humps and towers to take the time to build your human player a trident so they can get used to handling it but just as importantly make sure they read and understand the rules of the game as well.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have You Trained Your Human Player Today?

The biggest thing this year - Do NOT drop the ball! If it rolls away from you, you will get a penalty for exiting the area to chase it down. Or if you wait for someone else to get it back to you, you will start to get DOGMA penalties for slow return - one penalty every 2 seconds after you hit the time limit.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Sunny
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

In response to the post above, I would think that it'd be worth it for the players to just jog the ball over to the trident player.

If the trident player has the trident, and the side players throw the balls to the trident player, then he/she will have to catch with one hand. I know that whoever our human player is will have to make that catch, but I don't think it's worth it to possibly lose control of a ball.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Broken Arrow
FRC #0078 (Rhode Rage & AIR Strike)
Team Role: Driver

BradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to BradMello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
From the looks of it you don't have to be athletic like you had to be last year but you need to be efficient and cool under pressure to do that job well.
For any coaches weary of choosing human players this year because you're worried they might lose their cool mid-game, a good indicator of someones ability to keep focused is their attitude while playing video games. I know people who get completely frustrated when they're behind, almost to a point when they're ready to start swinging; these people would definitely NOT be a good choice for a human player this year.

My team holds a video game night every once in while (when we're not super busy of course ), and I believe events like this can be used to asses peoples attitude under pressure. Especially to first year teams who haven't yet been behind the glass before, sometimes it does get extremely frustrating; plan for it.

"This year, a perfect human player score is 0"

Last edited by BradMello : 02-10-2010 at 08:23 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Viking Robotics
AKA: Robert Dudek
FRC #1777 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
viking will become famous soon enoughviking will become famous soon enough

I agree with all the comments above.

Recap:
Build a trident and practice

Walk/run the ball to the middle player, DO NOT THROW

All human players should be calm and focused

Human players should manage the ball and the coach should manage the drivers

Practice, practice, practice
Viking Robotics Team #1777
2006 FRC Colorado Regional Rookie Inspiration
2007 FRC Greater KC Regional Daimler Chrysler Spirit
2007 FVC St Louis Connect Award
2009 FRC Greater KC Best Website Award

Last edited by viking : 02-10-2010 at 07:05 AM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Finally done with 2014.
AKA: Joe Sanchez
FRC #0229 (Division By Zero)

Rookie Year: 2008
O'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond repute

i agree to... everyone is focusing on the driving this year... but if you don't have the human player who knows the rules and has practiced for awhile... your just not going to cut it in the regional.

i know i have been practicing with our human player during spare time... just basically throwing the ball to him to place on the trident. But i strongly recommend taking one night and just practicing.

2012-20XX: Division By Zero 229
2011-2012: Aces High 176
2008-2011: Team Paragon 571

Clarkson University: Class of 2016
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Walk/run the ball to the middle player, DO NOT THROW
Ding, ding,ding. This will cause teams to lose many matches this year.

So the question will be: When the human player drops the ball and it rolls outside of the alliance station do you chase it (and get a penalty) or hope that enough balls come through the goal to keep the DOGMA from penalizing you too much?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest disappointment I have about this year's game is the lack of opportunity for the HP to get involved directly in scoring this year (or for any year in fact).
We havent even bothered making a trident for this year and dont plan to.
We got enough issues to deal with.

2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Luckily, the HP's role this year isn't one that requires much thought if they have read the rules. Hopefully everyone on your team has.

You'll either be running the ball to the guy with the trident or you'll be using the trident to snag a ball on the return. Do it as soon as you get the ball. Don't game the timer.

Pretty simple if human players are members of a well prepared team.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
1st year junior mentor :)
AKA: Kage
FRC #0238 (Cruisin' Crusaders)
Team Role: Mechanical

Kage is just really niceKage is just really niceKage is just really niceKage is just really nice

This isnt just about the human players either.
It is up to the rest of the aliance to communicate, and score enough balls to rack up the score, but not too many that the human player is overwhelmed.

GRAB LIFE BY THE JOYSTICKS!
team member: 4 years
Mentor: soon to be 1
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Viking Robotics
AKA: Robert Dudek
FRC #1777 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

viking will become famous soon enoughviking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We havent even bothered making a trident for this year and dont plan to.
We got enough issues to deal with.
I agree that we all have issues to deal with, and one of them is to build a trident and practice the ball exchange. Granted the Human Player is less of a factor this year, BUT don't let he/she lose the game for you if you didn't practice the move.
Viking Robotics Team #1777
2006 FRC Colorado Regional Rookie Inspiration
2007 FRC Greater KC Regional Daimler Chrysler Spirit
2007 FVC St Louis Connect Award
2009 FRC Greater KC Best Website Award

Last edited by viking : 02-10-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammer
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette

Who has built a trident? The ones we built (following the drawings) are very snug over the ball. It almost seems like the best technique has been to put the ball on the ground and stab it with the trident. Has any one else found this to be the case?
Rolling Thunder, Team 1511: The Thunder just keeps getting louder!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynette View Post
Who has built a trident? The ones we built (following the drawings) are very snug over the ball. It almost seems like the best technique has been to put the ball on the ground and stab it with the trident. Has any one else found this to be the case?
Our kids built one last weekend.

Ours is snug on the ball as well.
It's made from PVC pipe so it's kind of heavy. I hope the competition one isn't as heavy.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Broken Arrow
FRC #0078 (Rhode Rage & AIR Strike)
Team Role: Driver

BradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant futureBradMello has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to BradMello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynette View Post
We've built it......and broke it, twice. I'd advise against trying to catch the ball in mid air with the trident
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

We had our trident built the first week Having handled it myself a bit, it really isn't that difficult to get up to speed on it quickly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: