Go to Post - Just because you can buy 50 giant pixie stix with your roommates Sam's club membership does not mean you should eat them all at once. - Not2B [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Putting the Jumper in the Bumper
AKA: Ian Thompson
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
Radical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura aboutRadical Pi has a spectacular aura about
Re: Team update 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
I'd like to propose that we make Preseason events official FIRST events, for the sole purpose for FIRST, teams, the GDC to evaluate the game and it's rules so that Week 1 Regional Competitions will no longer carry the stigma.
Agreed. Being the victim of Week 1 field problems this year, I say a full official field should be offered to FIRST approved preseason events to work out the bugs in the system before full events

"To have no errors would be life without meaning. No strugle, no joy"
"A network is only as strong as it's weakest linksys"
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Here's a task for a student with some free time:

Take last weekends match results (from TBA/twitter/wherever), and recalculate the rankings incorporating this new bonus.

This is NOT to see what teams would have been ranked higher/lower, but rather to see how (15 * num matches) points injected into the total seeding points pool can affect the overall rankings.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold

I'm not as convinced as others that this will elimnate the 6v0 or 3v0 stradigies... However it is a serious step in the right direction. Personally, this is alot better than what I was expecting which was ether a penalty for a own goal or those goals not being counted (or something to that effect).

I am surprised with a +5 bonus for winning (along with the 2x multiplier), and having the losing alliance keeping the winners score. Clearly the GDC must be either mostly happy with the results or don't want to shake things up to much.

Thank you GDC for listening and making your fans happy.

Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2009
Wildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the rough

with the new +5 to the winning alliance this should make things much better and much more understandable
Being a member of the Scouting Team: Priceless

2010 & 2011 Scouting Coordinator
2010 Back-up Driver (2-5)
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, thank you, thank you, GDC, for these changes. It's a wonderful day in the world of FIRST.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too! Twice Shy. Blood List. Jade Sky.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Best. Team. Update. Ever.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP IRI? SCRIW IV (48,749.9 miles)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Drive Train/Manipulator Team Leader
AKA: Steven Harris
FRC #0623 (Cougar Robotics)

qwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of lightqwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of lightqwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of lightqwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of lightqwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of lightqwertyuiop[]\ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Remind me again why anyone, my team included, is stupid enough to keep going to week 1 events?
Stupid? I wouldnt be so rash in your wording. My team, which only goes to one regional, period (no atlanta either), sees week one events as more fair because it puts us at less of a disadvantage. no other teams have had actual experience in playing the game in week one as opposed to in week six where teams are coming back for the 2nd or 3rd regional. I would call it a SMART move for smaller low budget teams that only go to one regional to go to a Week 1. we are already at enough of a disadvantage to teams that are fortunate enough to have a full scale practice field, and a second robot to practice with after ship date.

EDIT: BTW, gdc nice revision on the rules

2005 NASA VCU Website Excellence Award, 2006 NASA VCU Website Excellence Award, 2006 Capital Clash, 2006 Delaware FVC Regional, 2007 Ramp Riot, 2007 Virginia FTC Regional, 2008 NASA VCU Regional, 2008 Battle of Baltimore, 2008 Virgina FTC Regional

Last edited by qwertyuiop[]\ : 03-09-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: adding positive out look to my rant
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Best. Team. Update. Ever.
Couldn't agree more. With my team's first competition this week I was losing sleep hoping balls would never get jammed at the mouth of the ball counter. Thankfully, now we can use the end of the trident!

I guess the 5 points is an ok rule, I guess...
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you GDC. This (the +5 for a win) is a major change; I can't remember anything similar in the last 6 years. There is no comparison to earlier rules changes like no pre-match stacking and no-you-cant-yes-you-can have bandsaws.

Given that average match scores on Friday were less than 5 points, the difference is a significant game-changer.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Alumni
FRC #1807 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
pacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to pacoliketaco Send a message via Yahoo to pacoliketaco

well first off, thank you GDC for fixing these two problems with the game that i saw last weekend. i think that a lot of matches were shutouts, or even 0-0, because of the three inch rule, enforced even if a team was pushed onto a ball (or flipped onto one, as happened a few times). so that fix is great, as is the other, as our team would probably have finished much higher, as a great deal of our matches were shutouts, so a 7-2 record placed us 19th. kinda annoying to change the rule after week 1, as has been said, but at least now everyone else gets to play the game as it should have been. so good luck to everyone else for the rest of the season

2009 NYC Winner - 56 and 1796
(2009 Regional Record: 18-0-7 wins/ties/losses)
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Team 2468 Coach/Adviser
AKA: Norman Morgan
FRC #2468 (Team Appreciate)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2008
Coach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond repute

The coach is me likes this update very much. It brings back the strategy to both alliances. If you are willing to gamble either way, you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop[]\ View Post
Stupid? I wouldnt be so rash in your wording. My team, which only goes to one regional, period (no atlanta either), sees week one events as more fair because it puts us at less of a disadvantage. no other teams have had actual experience in playing the game in week one as opposed to in week six where teams are coming back for the 2nd or 3rd regional. I would call it a SMART move for smaller low budget teams that only go to one regional to go to a Week 1. we are already at enough of a disadvantage to teams that are fortunate enough to have a full scale practice field, and a second robot to practice with after ship date.

EDIT: BTW, gdc nice revision on the rules
We are a third year team here at 2468 and we went to a first week regional last year in OKC. I have to agree that the field seemed more level since it was the first week for all teams to attend. In addition, to a young team it was very important for us to get to more than one regional so we could get more experience.
2012 Dallas Entrepreneurship/Dean's List Finalists
2011 Alamo Engineering Excellence
2009 Dallas Xerox Creativity
2008 Lone Star Alamo Rookie All Stars/ Highest Rookie Seed- 5th place
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Rogue Mentor and Vex-a-holic
VRC #0169 (The Cavalry)

Rookie Year: 2005
Chuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Glick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Glick

Thank you GDC.

You have managed to fix so much with one simple update. Teams now can see the advantages of playing 3v3 to WIN (while close to maximize points) and not 6v0 for just ranking. Also thank you for addressing the accidental 3" incursion penalties. This will help EVERYONE after watching how many teams were receiving these penalties (accidentally or due to negligence in design).

Side note: This will effectively end most 6v0 matches, but I bet we see one or two depending on what teams we see playing.

Haverford Robotics 169 Head Mentor '10-?(VRC)
North American Robotics (NAR) President '12-? (VEX U)
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Game Design Committee.

When something is not quite working as designed, the right move is to tweak it. I think these changes will, by this time next week, be seen as well-judged tweaks to a system that was nearly right to begin with.

For the record, my team was at a Week 1 event. And I was volunteering at a different Week 1 event. For several years I advocated within my regional planning committee to hold our event during Week 1. In spite of, and even because of, the challenges that FIRST encounters year after year I still say, "Week 1 this year, Week 1 next year, Week 1 forever!"
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Thanks GDC, I love being a guinea pig.

//walks away frustrated//
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you GDC.

This is a great update. Now I feel as though playing the match to win is obviously in the best interest of the teams and not much iffy ground is left inbetween. That said, the coopertition has not been eliminated so you still want high scores coopertively. So the intent of the cooperation is intact, but now winning is definitely a benefit as opposed to the 6v0.

People may complain about this being late, but I appreciate the fact that they found a problem and fixed it. Better now than never.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: