OCCRA
Go to Post A dedicated team is a happy team. - sgreco [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
FRC #2751 (Spark)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Mrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud of
Re: The Update, it fixes nothing! (AKA: why is everyone so excited about Update #16?)

Look at it this way, if you are playing 469 and they are killing you (like they seemed to do a lot), why on Earth would you try to score against them?!! 30 seconds into the match they are up 10 points. Every point you score will give them 2! If they win 25-0 you will get 25 and they will get 30 seeding points. If they win 25-5 then you still get 25 points and they will get 40!!! If you are losing, your points mean nothing to you...but they sure mean a lot to the winning alliance!

We did terrible in the seeding points. It wasn't until our last match when we got 20 seeding points (the highest all weekend) that we were in the top 8! We lost 3 straight matches and didn't drop in the rankings (we actually went up after 2 of them).

Mr. Drake and I fussed at each other all weekend. If you are getting your butts kicked STOP SCORING!!! As the losing alliance you are better off feeding balls to the other alliance to help your own seeding score.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain
Re: The Update, it fixes nothing! (AKA: why is everyone so excited about Update #16?)

Unfortunately, this year's seeding system allows for teams to lose and yet "win in the long run". If an alliance makes the decision to lose because they will clearly and completely lose that match, I do not blame them. This is because a loss is not a completely loss under this system and you can win more by losing. Makes sense, good.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Drake343 View Post
Look at it this way, if you are playing 469 and they are killing you (like they seemed to do a lot), why on Earth would you try to score against them?!! 30 seconds into the match they are up 10 points. Every point you score will give them 2! If they win 25-0 you will get 25 and they will get 30 seeding points. If they win 25-5 then you still get 25 points and they will get 40!!! If you are losing, your points mean nothing to you...but they sure mean a lot to the winning alliance!

We did terrible in the seeding points. It wasn't until our last match when we got 20 seeding points (the highest all weekend) that we were in the top 8! We lost 3 straight matches and didn't drop in the rankings (we actually went up after 2 of them).

Mr. Drake and I fussed at each other all weekend. If you are getting your butts kicked STOP SCORING!!! As the losing alliance you are better off feeding balls to the other alliance to help your own seeding score.
It really doesn't matter how smart it is, if I don't think its right...I'm not doing it. End of story. I really don't think anyone is arguing that it might be the smart move in some situations. We are simply saying that we won't do it. This is a personal decision based on one's values. I would rather come in last place then give in the slightest bit on my ethics.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
FRC #2751 (Spark)

Rookie Year: 2007
Mrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud ofMrs.Drake343 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
This is a personal decision based on one's values. I would rather come in last place then give in the slightest bit on my ethics.
Why do you think that it's unethical to take advantage of the scoring system? This game seems to be more strategy than just playing to win...until you get to eliminations.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Drake343 View Post
Why do you think that it's unethical to take advantage of the scoring system? This game seems to be more strategy than just playing to win...until you get to eliminations.
Could it be possible that some people have difficulty thinking in different ways?

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It really doesn't matter how smart it is, if I don't think its right...I'm not doing it. End of story. I really don't think anyone is arguing that it might be the smart move in some situations. We are simply saying that we won't do it. This is a personal decision based on one's values. I would rather come in last place then give in the slightest bit on my ethics.
Likewise. The rulebook says that the goal is to win, so we will try to win, every time, even if it "hurts us" in qualifying points.

That attitude served us extremely well at the Finger Lakes Regional, and while there aren't 15 OMGHOWDOWEBEAT1551!???!!!eleven!?!?? threads like there are for 469, we did come in 1st seed and regional champs. (Thanks, 217 and 174, for the awesome alliance!)

We're a bit of a 'NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!' Heinleinian group, for a town full of artists, farmers, and wine makers.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:26 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Could it be possible that some people have difficulty thinking in different ways?
Definite maybe.
Quote:
I guess I'm just not smart enough to overcome this one.
I guess the best I could give you is that 6vs0 is a "strategical retreat" but in the end that is still running away. Some of us are taught to not run away and not give up. I'm a bit bull-headed on this one.(and perhaps short-sighted) I'll be the first to admit that.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Last edited by Molten : 03-15-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Elaborated a bit
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Onward through the fog.

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is more to this than just simply coming up with one idea and then passing judgment on it. Thinking is a form of exercise and the more we think, the more we understand. There's a lot to be said for staying agile and flexible when forming strategies during qualifications, depending on how the alliances are formed - then eliminations require more thinking. Strategy is a big part of this game and understanding why it is important, and the different options available, provides the exercise. This may be a game that continues to reveal options and strategies as we move through more competitions. It took a while for folks to absorb the idea that playing a close game was beneficial - now we've moved on to other thoughts that have been introduced during week 2. Thinking can be uncomfortable, but I always think that it is beneficial. When the game is played, having been explored and tested, it becomes a better game, making the players and the robots better along the way.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 03-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Programmermechanicalelect ricalcoach
AKA: Dan
FRC #1480 (Robatos Locos)

Rookie Year: 2005
TubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond reputeTubaMorg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
I apologize Jane, but I need to respond to this. The reason why is that you are implying that taking a stand on an issue implies that the stance wasn't thought about. Some people have examined the 6v0 controversy thoroughly and landed on different sides of the issue. I would suggest that "thinking in different ways" is a statement that inherently implies more than one point of view. Implying that a dissenting opinion is a sign thoughtlessness seems a bit far fetched in this case. Especially since there is no evidence to support your hypothesis.

Respectfully,
Dan
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
How are values involved at all? Isn't the whole point of science to make educated, analytical decisions rather than just trusting your gut? Isn't the word 'science' a part of the FIRST acronym?

The seeding method is different. Yes it would be nice to have another tick in the win column, but there comes a point where trying to "win" the qualification match is the equivalent of eating at Taco Bell. Yeah, it seems great at the time, but you will really regret it the next morning (when you are seeded 40th).

Also, you are just hurting your alliance partners.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Onward through the fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaMorg View Post
I apologize Jane, but I need to respond to this. The reason why is that you are implying that taking a stand on an issue implies that the stance wasn't thought about. Some people have examined the 6v0 controversy thoroughly and landed on different sides of the issue. I would suggest that "thinking in different ways" is a statement that inherently implies more than one point of view. Implying that a dissenting opinion is a sign thoughtlessness seems a bit far fetched in this case. Especially since there is no evidence to support your hypothesis.

Respectfully,
Dan
I can see that and I understand what you are saying, Dan.
But, I was actually asking the question, not implying anything.

If people have examined the 6v0 controversy thoroughly and landed on different sides of the issue, then they have been thinking. If people just make a choice without thinking - that is where my question is. What makes the seeding points so hard for us understand?

Thank you, Dan, for your response.
Jane

~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:13 PM
5th Gear Developer & Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
VRC #0042 (Mostly Harmless)

gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
... The rulebook says that the goal is to win, ...
pf - You aren't the only one who leaned on this broken crutch, you are simply the most recent.

The rule book says two almost diametrically opposed things. In an introductory section it says you should attempt to outscore your opponents in each match. In what I think (my opinion) is a more important section it says:
Quote:
The purpose of the qualifying matches is to allow each team to earn a seeding position that may qualify them for participation in the elimination matches. The purpose of the elimination matches is to determine the Event Champions.
In related section the rules describe how to earn these seeding points.

Maximizing your wins will certainly help you comply with the introduction. Maximizing your seeding points will help earn a trophy from the folks who run the event. One of these seems more important to me. Your mileage may vary (obviously - just read the comments in this thread).

One group of folks wrote the rules - all of the rules. I find it odd that some readers will embrace the introduction; but will reject the connection between the seeding points and the title of event Champion. Maybe those sections use different fonts (one for the good rules and another for the bad rules)and my PDF reader is unable to show me the difference?

Weren't both sections of the rules produced by the same committee?

Blake
PS: Is this a case of evolve or die?

Last edited by gblake : 03-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:22 PM

pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri View Post
How are values involved at all? Isn't the whole point of science to make educated, analytical decisions rather than just trusting your gut? Isn't the word 'science' a part of the FIRST acronym?
FIRST is more about values than it is about science. This isn't about trusting your gut, this is about doing things the "right way".

It would be an educated, analytical decision for my team to never loan another team a tool, a part, a raw material, or a helping hand -- indeed, it would definitely increase our chances of winning. But it ain't what FIRST is about.

The proudest moment I have had thus far as a FIRST mentor is absolutely **NOT** the regional win we had this year (after never even making the top eight before). The proudest moment I had was when another team needed a banebots 12:1 transmission and announced it over the PIT speaker, and one of my students didn't even ask me, they just passed the part over the pit wall -- knowing full well that we were playing against them next, and that the transmission might very well make a difference in who won the match. (It did, and we lost, and it didn't matter.)

That has *nothing* to do with winning the match, nor in getting the highest seed, nor in getting a trophy or a medal or a pat on the back. But it has everything to do with FIRST.

I write books, too!
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
FIRST is more about values than it is about science. This isn't about trusting your gut, this is about doing things the "right way".
But how is this the "right way"? Lending a helping hand to a team in need is something I think we can all agree on... But, making stupid strategic moves on the field is not only hurting yourself, but hurting your other partners as well.

I believe there is a quote from Dr. Flowers that is something along the lines of "Gracious professionals learn and compete like crazy, but treat one another with respect and kindness in the process." (Emphasis mine)

I have no idea how scoring for the other team when you are facing a certain loss is going against that. Really, I don't.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri View Post
But how is this the "right way"? Lending a helping hand to a team in need is something I think we can all agree on... But, making stupid strategic moves on the field is not only hurting yourself, but hurting your other partners as well.

I believe there is a quote from Dr. Flowers that is something along the lines of "Gracious professionals learn and compete like crazy, but treat one another with respect and kindness in the process." (Emphasis mine)

I have no idea how scoring for the other team when you are facing a certain loss is going against that. Really, I don't.
That same GDC -- of which Dr. Flowers is a member -- has explicitly stated that playing each match to win is part of the game. "The expectation is that winning will be a priority, but still values the high, close-scoring, matches." (From Update #16).

I'm sorry, but a recent quote that directly addresses the issue in question is rather more relevant than a vague quote from long ago about the generalities of FIRST.

I write books, too!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: