OCCRA
Go to Post Inspiration and recognition does not equal "advanced shop class". What's better for your team is not better for all teams. Remember that. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
None #0329 (Raiders)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Kevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to behold
3" ball violation--Why????

Okay, first off, I think that the GDC has a daunting task every year. They thoroughly think out 99.99% of the issues facing each game. I always try to understand the reasons behind the they rules make. This time I'm stumped. If a ball goes under the robot by more than 3" it's a violation. Why? You're already limited to one ball at a time. What is the reasoning behind it? Rookie teams have it hardest. They usually don't have the experience nor the exposure to methods and practices that experienced teams have. For the most part (based on 3 weeks of regionals), rookie teams are by far, the least successful in adequately kicking the ball.
Allowing the ball to pass under the bot at will (one at a time) would make ball control, hense kicking, infinitely easier. Remember, the crowd wants to see high scores. It appears at most regionals that the penalties were more common than the goals in a vast number of matches--with most of those penalties resulting from balls passing under the bot. Update 16 attempted to address this but I think, fell short.

Please help me see the GDC's viewpoint. I KNOW I'm missing the obvious.

Last words before magic smoke appears: "There, that oughta work!"
2014 Dean's List Finalist- Chesapeake Regional
2014 Engineering Excellence- SBPLI Regional
2014 SBPLI Regional Winner
2014 Engineering Inspiration- Chesapeake Regional
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3" ball violation--Why????

I am pretty sure that the original intent of the rule was to stop teams from sticking multiple balls under the robot, and thereby possessing them, and taking them out of play from other robots. Atleast, thats what I always thought the intent was...

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:16 PM
FRC #1241 (THEORY6)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Thuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to beholdThuvishan.R is a splendid one to behold

Itís basically engineering a robot to hold a ball outside of its diameter, which makes it so much harder to manipulate. Which is the entire challenge that was one of the biggest challenges my team faced which was how to manipulate the ball without going in 3" if you took that rule out the task becomes like every other year a hand or some sort of cup into the robot would hold the ball and it would make it so easy to manipulate and shoot the ball even though itís easier for the rookies itís much easier for veteran teams. Whereas this competition is support to challenge the mind and force teams to think outside of the box, Thus the game is not only challenging for rookies who will not only learn much more valuable information for next year but it levels the game with veteran teams who also struggle with this rule.

Team 1241 THEORY6 Robotics- Alumnus
Rick Hansen Secondary School

2013 FIRST World Champions (1241, 1477, 610)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

Why, in soccer, aren't you allowed to carry the ball with your hands?

(Um... okay... because then it would be... er... football...?)

But I digress... the rule is the rule because it is the rule. Kind of circular logic, I'll admit... but keep in mind that the game consists of putting a ball through a hole in a wall so that we can pick the ball up and put it back out on the floor so we can put it through the hole again. Those rules are the rules because... er... well... those are the rules.

I suspect the GDC actually put a bit of thought into the 3" rule, as it seems that a very few teams have developed absolutely outstanding grippers, proving that it can be done, several have developed grippers of varying degrees of functionality, proving that it's not easy, and some have gone without.

A 4" incursion would have made it a no brainer to build a gripper. A 2" incursion would have probably made anything but a vacuum a waste of time. A 3" incursion isn't quite enough that a gripper was the obvious solution, but also enough that a vacuum wasn't the only solution.

But keep in mind that it isn't supposed to be easy, and just as soccer wouldn't be soccer if you could touch the ball with your hands, and basketball wouldn't be basketball if your could touch the ball with your feet, Breakaway wouldn't be Breakaway if you could suck the ball in to the robot.

Jason
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Parent and Volunteer
AKA: Richard Singletary
FRC #0548

Rookie Year: 2008
ExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant future

Quote:
I suspect the GDC actually put a bit of thought into the 3" rule
And I would also submit they put a lot of thought into several other measurements.....84" hanging bar and 90" vertical limit...angle, height and width of bump (they know how a 28" X 38" platform performs).....bumper height.....height and width of tunnel and platform....that little annoying thing on the wall side of the goal that stops so many herds up the wall!

All good stuff!

2010 REFEREE: Kettering, Ann Arbor, Wayne State, Troy, MI Championship, Atlanta-Newton field, IGVC TARDEC, MARC and upcoming KETTERING Kickoff.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's a design constraint. It would be much, much easier for any team to secure a ball if it could go more than three inches inside the robot. Building within "random" constraints is key to engineering.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a rule the GDC "was inspried by" from robo-cup. Here is a team that is extrememly good at ball handling:
http://www.techunited.nl/index.php?p=11

The 3" rule and the must to keep it on the ground makes it very challenging.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:27 AM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

G46- Ball Penetration

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: