OCCRA
Go to Post If I find a student on my team who came through FIRST having learned nothing more then he wanted to go to MIT, I'll give my self a pat on the back and start counting down to kickoff. - Andy A. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
pandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant future
Re: 2011 Game Hint #1

things from bill's blogs:

picture of design committee on stairs for bill's birthday

Title: The view from 3000 feet - discussing dean flying - plains use a technique known as stepping, when they lose fuel they get lighter and need to maintain a new optimal altitude.

Title: Two steps forward one step back.

he made bold STAND by in the last entry

Now we add locomotion

Conclusion: Either we are not allowed to use wheels this year and or their are stairs we need to climb
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Webmaster, Electrical & Captain
AKA: Jeff Roche
FRC #0134 (Team Discovery)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2000
FIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura aboutFIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura aboutFIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura about

I loved the 2004 game where it had stairs and the 2010 game where we had to climb... I love hanging games and staircase games, i think it is unique and a challenge. I would love to see another one!
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Conclusion: Either we are not allowed to use wheels this year and or their are stairs we need to climb
Must be something in the WNY water -- I came to the same conclusion... ("Conclusion", in this case, meaning "near-baseless speculation".)

...of course, there's the possibility that the "or" in your statement should be an "and"...
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTtm134 View Post
I loved the 2004 game where it had stairs and the 2010 game where we had to climb... I love hanging games and staircase games, i think it is unique and a challenge. I would love to see another one!
Certainly more interesting to watch than driving around in circles on a flat field. Sorry, 2008.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

FIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura aboutFIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura aboutFIRSTtm134 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tk View Post
Certainly more interesting to watch than driving around in circles on a flat field. Sorry, 2008.
Or driving around a field playing bumper bots. Sorry, 2009.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
FRC #2081 (Icarus)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
BIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of light

with the idea of combining games, the idea of the game name being "loco-motion", and the reversed picture, possibly something like overdrive except alliances go opposite ways?
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGWILLI2081 View Post
with the idea of combining games, the idea of the game name being "loco-motion", and the reversed picture, possibly something like overdrive except alliances go opposite ways?
Dear god. If i have to play another game where i go around in a circle i will lost all faith in the GDC!
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Kyle J. Fender
AKA: Kyle Jordan
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

ghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond reputeghostmachine360 has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling like I should listen to all the songs from the Supremes......
SPSU Class of 2015: Robotics Engineering Major
GeorgiaFIRST FRC/FTC Emcee, FTC Head Referee, & FRC Referee
2010 CMP FRC Dean's List & 2010 Peachtree DLA Finalist
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
FRC #1444 (Lightning Lancers)

Rookie Year: 2006
catacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the roughcatacon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
LOL That would be absolute madness. The 2008 game wasn't terrible, but I think they need to leave that game type alone for awhile.
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
AKA: Matt Cassidy
FRC #2081 (Icarus)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2007
CassCity2081 has a spectacular aura aboutCassCity2081 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Along with the idea of Loco-motion being the name of the game, could it be possible that they are going to mess with our motion, kind of like they did in 2009 with the 1/6th gravity effect.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
no team

Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

The term 'Loco' is Spanish for 'crazy' indicating a crazy motion as part of the dance. What does this mean for our 'bots?
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
<-- Safety first!
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by catacon View Post
I don't think the image being reversed is part of the clue. I think they were just making it harder for people to reverse image search it.
Given how much effort gets put into figuring out the game hint by all of these smart robotics-enthusiasts, I doubt the GDC would think for a moment that reversing the image would trip us up. The source of the image was figured out within the first two hours of being released!

I think the mirror imaging means something. ...Or they anticipated this string of logic and mirrored it to throw us off.

2006-2010: NERDS..........1726
2010: Turbulence............3194
2011-?: Falcon Robotics...842

Check out "Babs" the underwater robot --- and some neat robot videos
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Free Agent Mentor
no team (Team Krunch)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
jerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud of

Of course my favorite Little Eva song is;
"What I gotta do (to make you jealous)".
This may not be important, but there is a line in that song;
"When are you gonna start acting like you really care"
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Team2057LasVegas
AKA: Justin Major
FRC #2057 (AV CyberBulls)
Team Role: Leadership

Team#2057-Vegas can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
don't have time somebody analyze this, locomotion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Eva
I was just about to say that.. maybe cargo moving? Moving other robots? This game could be a blast just from those thoughts

I sent the picture to all my team mates of 2057.. my parents remember that picture and have indeed confirmed Little Eva.. Stairs sound like a plausible thing.. whatever it is.. I can't wait

Now all we need is for Dave to come in and change our thoughts

"We will kick you off our pasture" -- 2057 Motto
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)

Rookie Year: 2005
pandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
Must be something in the WNY water -- I came to the same conclusion... ("Conclusion", in this case, meaning "near-baseless speculation".)

...of course, there's the possibility that the "or" in your statement should be an "and"...
nah i meant it like one or the other or both

I think Jason from 340 posted the stuff about stepping a week or so ago
so yeah definitely something in our water

I think they will keep the third gate from last year so where do the stairs go?

can't go along the outside because of safety and no one seeing anything. could divide the field in three sections like last year and have 6 sets or divide it in half and have 2 sets. Could also be up against the wall like in 06. The point being there aren't that many field arrangements they can do with stairs, it limits them a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: